Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any idea what this hat is?

Article about: Hey guys need help, my dad picked this up a while ago and we cant seem to find anything similar for comparison. The only thing he could say about it was that it might be Bavarian. These are

Default Any idea what this hat is?

Hey guys need help, my dad picked this up a while ago and we cant seem to find anything similar for comparison. The only thing he could say about it was that it might be Bavarian. These are the only pics I have at moment. You guys know what kind of hat this is? and if it might be original? I appreciate any help in advance. Thanks Jeff
    Any idea what this hat is?Any idea what this hat is?Any idea what this hat is?Any idea what this hat is?Any idea what this hat is?

?

Default Re: Any idea what this hat is?

It reminds me of the Australian calvary hat from WWI.

Looks like some sort of Bavarian hunting club Tyrolean with pheasant feather to me?

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

?

Looks like a polish eagle!

Thread moved here.

I think it is Polish Mountain troopers?

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

hey thanks guys for the replies and to Ade for moving this to the correct forum. I had no idea exactly where it should go. An interesting hat for sure. Any more input would be greatly appreciated.

After reading your thoughts Ade I looked up Polish mountain troopers hat and found these pics. Looks pretty darn close to me I'd have to say. Good eye Ade.Attachment 368606Attachment 368607 the first pic says Polish Podhales 2nd regiment and the other said 21st Podhales. Sorry these pics didnt come up, if I respond with quick reply does that make the pics come up with attachments link you have to click and not the actual pics? Thanks again! Jeff

That is definitely a Polish eagle, with the edelweiss mountain troops is my best shot too. A very nice hat whatever it is!

?

I'm thinking that this may be a general's cap for mountain troops, given the zigzag embroidery present that is normally found on general's czapkas, or peaked caps.
    The cap is from the Communist era, since the eagle is uncrowned.

BobS

Ade, Jeff, Kradspam, and Bob – you’re all on the right track. It’s a Podhale Highlander’s hat (kapelusz podhalański). It has the traditional eagle’s feather, in this instance held on with edelweiss flower device. Prior to WW2 a “Mountain Cross” with pine sprigs device was used to retain the feather. This ancient swastika symbol is popular in the folk culture of the Polish mountainous regions.

As Bob observed, the crownless eagle dates this hat from the post WW2 Polish People’s Army communist era ,and bears the rank of Brigadier General.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Any idea what this hat is?  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast