Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fors sale: Regimental flag of the First Infantry Division of the Kosciuszko Regiment No. 1

Article about: For sale by auction Regimental flag of the First Infantry Division of the Kosciuszko Regiment No. 1 Auction on 17-18 November 2012 http://www.czernys.com Piazza V. Veneto, 13 - 19 Sarzana 19

Default Fors sale: Regimental flag of the First Infantry Division of the Kosciuszko Regiment No. 1

For sale by auction Regimental flag of the First Infantry Division of the Kosciuszko Regiment No. 1

Auction on 17-18 November 2012

http://www.czernys.com

Piazza V. Veneto, 13 - 19
    Sarzana
    Italy

How on earth did this flag end up in a private collection?

Description:
    A very rare regimental flag of the First Infantry Division of the Kosciuszko Regiment No. 1 dating: mid-20th Century provenance: Poland Square, white silk flag with red cross, at the centre of one side the effigy of a bust with the Order of "VIRTUTI MILITARI" surmounted by the writing "WOLNOSC I WARZA", at each arm of the cross marked "1 DP" among oak branches; on the other side the effigy of the Polish eagle enclosed in a crown of laurel surmounted by the writing "HONOR I OJCZYZNA", the arms of the cross en suite; gilt fringes on three sides; assembled on a wooden haft (only at the upper part) with brass tip in the shape of a Polish eagle resting on a rectangle, with the writing "1 Dywinja Piechoty im Tadeusza Kosciuszki". The Polish 1st Kosciuszko was an infantry division in the Soviet-organized Polish armed forces formed in 1943. The division operated from the Battle of Lenino (October 12-13, 1943) to the Battle of Berlin (April and May 1945) together with the Red Army. dimensions: dimensions 110 x 100 cm.
    Estimate:
    €20,000 - €25,000

Also:

A standard and trumpet of the 18th Uhlan regiment

A standard and trumpet of the 18th Uhlan regiment dating: first quarter of the 20th Century provenance: Poland Embroidered at the centre with effigy of the Polish eagle with crown, surmounted by the regiment number "18" between two lyres, underneath "P" and "U". Fringes on three sides. Rare. Together with brass trumpet (small defects). dimensions: dimensions 44 x 40 cm.

Both are Museum quality pieces!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fors sale: Regimental flag of the First Infantry Division of the Kosciuszko Regiment No. 1   Fors sale: Regimental flag of the First Infantry Division of the Kosciuszko Regiment No. 1  

Fors sale: Regimental flag of the First Infantry Division of the Kosciuszko Regiment No. 1  
    Attached Images Attached Images Fors sale: Regimental flag of the First Infantry Division of the Kosciuszko Regiment No. 1 
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Default Re: Fors sale: Regimental flag of the First Infantry Division of the Kosciuszko Regiment No. 1

The 1DP Flag resides in a Warsaw museum, for quite some time.
    The Flag being auctioned : most likely made later, (once again in the 50's, 60's, 70's for either film or veteran's use (Kolo Pulkowe). When the Flag was made originally there were shortages of everything so I doubt that two were made at the time.
    The auction house gives provenance as : Poland ??
    Love the estimate : who in the world will pay that much even if it was real ?

Default Re: Fors sale: Regimental flag of the First Infantry Division of the Kosciuszko Regiment No. 1

Quote by Itakdalej View Post
    The 1DP Flag resides in a Warsaw museum, for quite some time.
    The Flag being auctioned : most likely made later, (once again in the 50's, 60's, 70's for either film or veteran's use (Kolo Pulkowe). When the Flag was made originally there were shortages of everything so I doubt that two were made at the time.
    The auction house gives provenance as : Poland ??
    Love the estimate : who in the world will pay that much even if it was real ?
    I have contacted the auction house to ask that very question

Will post their response, if any.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Thanks for the intersting post Stefan. Yes, please let us know if and when you get a reply.

T.
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Those communist eagles are ugly. Why would any Pole, even communist, allow that on a national flag.

As you probably know, the Poles call it a Kurica, which is derived from the Polish word for chicken. One look at that “eagle” and it's quite obvious why. The design is supposedly derived from the early Piast eagle dating back to the origin of the Polish state 1000 years ago. I recall the story that a communist functionary spotted one of these early eagles (maybe the one pictured below) and decided it was suitable as the replacement for the crowned eagle perched on an amazon shield. Of course, the eagle (minus crown) on the shield was later reintroduced, although is still retained that weak chicken-like look, at least to my eyes.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fors sale: Regimental flag of the First Infantry Division of the Kosciuszko Regiment No. 1  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

kurica is russian for chicken - since eagle was introduced by USSR, it was called chicken in Russian - also known as Moscow Kurica
    Polish world is kura (kura, kureczka etc) and kurica is not a polish word.

I'm sorry but when I look at this photo, I hear the voice of 'Brian' the dog from 'Family Guy'!

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    As you probably know, the Poles call it a Kurica, which is derived from the Polish word for chicken. One look at that “eagle” and it's quite obvious why. The design is supposedly derived from the early Piast eagle dating back to the origin of the Polish state 1000 years ago. I recall the story that a communist functionary spotted one of these early eagles (maybe the one pictured below) and decided it was suitable as the replacement for the crowned eagle perched on an amazon shield. Of course, the eagle (minus crown) on the shield was later reintroduced, although is still retained that weak chicken-like look, at least to my eyes.

Regards,
    Tony
    Tony I nearly spit my coffee out I was laughing so hard when I read this. That's exactly what I though when I saw the flag - that's a chicken! I'm still laughing

The short spindly legs and short feathers - makes me want to grab my shotgun.

I did not know the story though. At least the 'Piast' eagle looks like a menacing eagle.

Quote by meyle77 View Post
    kurica is russian for chicken - since eagle was introduced by USSR, it was called chicken in Russian - also known as Moscow Kurica
    Polish world is kura (kura, kureczka etc) and kurica is not a polish word.
    True. I see what you mean. But one could argue that as the Poles call the badge the "Kurica", not "Куриa", wouldn't that sort of make it a Polish word ??

Cheers,
    Tony

?

The infamous "Plucked Chicken" ...... awful !!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast