Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Help Identifying Uniforms - late 1940s or 1950s

Article about: Hello, hoping someone can help to identify the uniform, and very distinct markings, in this photo. We don't know the origin but believe it was Eastern Europe, possibly Poland. It was taken a

Default Need Help Identifying Uniforms - late 1940s or 1950s

Hello, hoping someone can help to identify the uniform, and very distinct markings, in this photo. We don't know the origin but believe it was Eastern Europe, possibly Poland. It was taken after WW2 / early-mid 1950s.Need Help Identifying Uniforms - late 1940s or 1950s

Hi Ancestryseeker, welcome to the Forum.

I removed your post in 'Imperial Germany', as the uniform
    is not from that era or country. Please wait for comments
    about your photo, as most EU members are
    asleep just now.

ps, could you orient the photo right way
    up please.........?
    Regards,

Steve.

Hi, I posted it in the Polish Armed Forces forum. Not sure what happened. The picture is oriented correctly in the original - will try to figure out what happened. Thx.

Photo depicts a Major of the Ludowe Wojsko Polskie (Polish Peoples Army - Communist) sometime around the late 1950's I would guess.
    On the left pocket is the badge of the 1st Tadeusz Kosciuszko Infantry Division formed in the USSR in 1943. Various Polish/Soviet ribbons, including the Medal Zasluzonym na Polu Chwaly (Merit on the Field of Glory).

Also Grunwald-Berlin shield on the right pocket.

Hello Ancestryseeker, and welcome aboard. Portrait with corrected rotation posted below. You are right that this portrait dates from the post WW2 Soviet occupation era, and the thread has been moved again to the appropriate forum. Shoulder straps indicate the officer's rank, major. Right pocket has the badge of the 1st Tadeusz Kosciuszko Infantry Division. Left pocket has the Grunwald badge. Collar tabs display Military Vehicle corps badges. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need Help Identifying Uniforms - late 1940s or 1950s  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

it appears there has been some sudden cross posting going on . . .
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Thank you so much for this information.

Thank you so much for the information. Given the army's history, would it be more likely that he lived in occupied Poland and joined this army or was from Russia that invaded Poland? Any insight is much appreciated.

Do you know the significance of the badge? I looked it up and it just says the year it was awarded but not why. Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast