Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Post war badge Grunwald Berlin.

Article about: I know I have seen one on here somewhere, but cannot find it, so, can anybody tell me who/what this was made for, if its original, and is it worth 30 Euro? Regards, Pete,

?

Default Post war badge Grunwald Berlin.

I know I have seen one on here somewhere, but cannot find it, so, can anybody tell me who/what this was made for, if its original, and is it worth 30 Euro?
    Regards,
    Pete,
    Post war badge Grunwald Berlin.Post war badge Grunwald Berlin.

Hi Pete,

I've moved your thread over to the post war communist era section. The Grunwald Badge (Odznaka Grunwaldzka) was instituted right after WW2 in July 1945. It was issued in two grades: silver for generals, and bronze for officers and other ranks. It was awarded to all those who fought in the battle zone for Berlin in the spring of 1945. The name "Grunwald" and the date 1410 harkens back to the Polish / Lithuanian victory over the German-Prussian Teutonic Knights.

Your badge appears genuine. They are quite common and numerous variants were produced. I don't collect the Soviet occupation era militaria so am not sure if this is a common variant, but 30EU is not an exorbitant price. I would think that rare variants may be worth more.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Just found this photo of Grunwald badge variants in my archives. I had saved it from a past auction thinking there may be an opportunity one day to use it . . .

Cheers,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post war badge Grunwald Berlin.  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

?

Ah, so this is a badge produced by/for the Poles fighting with (or in?) the Russian forces.

Many thanks Tony.
    Regards,
    Pete

Hi Peter, yes, the Poles that were fighting alongside the Red Army, having been promised return to a free homeland once the Germans were defeated. As we all know, Uncle Joe S. had different plans.

Regards,
    Tony

?

Thanks Tony,
    I'm going to buy it, if only to remember Stalin's perfidity.
    Though England and America, it would seem, didn't come out too well when it came to post war Poland..
    Pete

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Hi Pete,

I've moved your thread over to the post war communist era section. The Grunwald Badge (Odznaka Grunwaldzka) was instituted right after WW2 in July 1945. It was issued in two grades: silver for generals, and bronze for officers and other ranks. It was awarded to all those who fought in the battle zone for Berlin in the spring of 1945. The name "Grunwald" and the date 1410 harkens back to the Polish / Lithuanian victory over the German-Prussian Teutonic Knights.

Your badge appears genuine. They are quite common and numerous variants were produced. I don't collect the Soviet occupation era militaria so am not sure if this is a common variant, but 30EU is not an exorbitant price. I would think that rare variants may be worth more.

Regards,
    Tony
    I love your term "Soviet occupation era militaria" - will start using it !

And as to the badge, it was very common - early examples were very well made indeed.

Yes, the price for common badges is 5-10 USD.
    Greetings
    Rafal

?

Quote by rsunday View Post
    Yes, the price for common badges is 5-10 USD.
    Greetings
    Rafal
    Oops, that's changed my mind (and it is a post war badge after all)

Pete