Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Research on my Grandad

Article about: Hi, I am new to the site. I have been doing research on my Grandad and his brother JAN and LEONARD CZAJKOWSKI in Italy. I have some photos and his medals and would like to know more details.

Default Research on my Grandad

Hi,
    I am new to the site. I have been doing research on my Grandad and his brother JAN and LEONARD CZAJKOWSKI in Italy. I have some photos and his medals and would like to know more details.

I am in the process of contacting the UK MoD for the Polish Army records.

Any help on the photos and medals would be great.

Thank you
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Research on my Grandad   Research on my Grandad  

Research on my Grandad   Research on my Grandad  

Hello Paul,

May I be the first to welcome you yo the Forum, I have checked the Monte Cassino Cross Register and found 3 Jan Czajkowski's awarded the Monte Cassino Cross.

1. A Sierzant in 14th Rifle Battalion, 5KDP

2. A Kapral in the 3rd Rifle Battalion. 3DSK

3. A Strzelec (Rifleman) in the 6 Kompania Warsztatowej (6th Workshop Company, 2nd Armoured Brigade later Division).

Strz. Jan Czajkowski born in 1912, Army Number (also found on his ID Tags): 1912-23-III, 6KWarszt awarded the Monte Cassino Cross Numbered: 28464.

His Fathers Name was Jan, your Grandfather was a pre war soldier arrested by the Russians on the 18th September 1939 in Dubno, he was then transported to the Ukraine and from there to Siberia where he arrived on the 28th June 1940, joining the Anders Army in the last quarter of 1941.

After the end of the War he came to the UK, would I be correct in thinking that he married in 1948 in Wharfedale and Died in 1998 in Keighley.

I could not find any listing for Leonard Czajkowski being awarded the Monte Cassino Cross.

I sincerely hope that the above information is of some use and help

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello again Paul,

The British Medals are as follows:

1) 1939-1945 Star

2) Italy Star

3) Defence Medal

4) 1939-1945 War Medal

The Polish Medals shown are as follows:

1) SPK Polish Ex-Combattants Medal for the Silver Jubilee of the Association (25 Years) 1946-1971

2) Medal Wojska (Army Medal)

The Badges shown are from left to right:

1) 2nd Warsaw Armoured Division Badge

2) SPK Lapel Badge (Polish Ex Combattants Association)

3) 2nd Corps Badge this should be numbered on the reverse to match with the Numbered Legitymacja (Authoriszation Document) given to your Grandfather there should also be Legitmacja for all the above.

Once again

Best Wishes

Andrzej

Hi Andrzej,
    Wow and many thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions. I am amazed at the information you have posted. I would like to ask some more though!
    I have posted on the other Polish forum about pre war Polish Army.
    1. We dont have his Monte Cassino Cross, Can we get a reproduction of his medal? My Dad says that he thinks my Grandad may have been injured there as he had a scar on his neck and told my Dad it was from a bullet from a German sniper.
    2. I thought he might have been a pre war soldier due to the photos we have but how did you manage to find out he was arrested in Dubno? I think he was born in Lida (area) again due to some photos of him there. We do know that he was with 2 friends sent to Siberia but one died on the way on the train and we think the other survived the War and went on to live in Manchester, UK.
    3. Are you able to provide any other details of his movements between 41-46?
    4. He did come to Wharfedale, a village called Addingham and married in 1948 to Salomea JOZWIK and he died in Keighley in 1998.
    5. Leonard was also in the ARMY at aged 21 in 1939 but I guess he took a different path to the UK?

Thank you once again, you are a star :-)

Paul

Hi Andrzej,

Again, thank you ever so much for the information on the medals. I intend to get them all professionally framed with his photo.

I can tell you that there is a number on the reverse of the pin (003127) but we have no paperwork.

Kindest regards

Paul

Hello Paul,

You are most welcome, unfortunately I could not find any further information on your Grandfather, it would be wise to also write to the Polish Army Records Centre in Rembertow just outside Warsaw to ask if they have copies of your Grandfathers pre 1939 Service Record.

Reproductions of the Monte Cassino Cross are now days available on all the online auction sites arounf the world, but if you could obtain one of those numbered 49,000 and above these where not issued and dispossed off by the Polish Government in Exile in the late 1970's.

You never know one day your Grandfathers MCC might appear "a needle in a haystack"

But you never know what you might come across

Once again Paul,

Best wishes

Andrzej