Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Is this a badge of the 2nd Warszawski Signals Battalion?

Article about: Forgive the intrusion, and thank you for accepting my registration. I purchased a large collection, with abundant dealer stock, of Israeli militaria, which was assembled by the late Jack H.

Default Is this a badge of the 2nd Warszawski Signals Battalion?

Forgive the intrusion, and thank you for accepting my registration. I purchased a large collection, with abundant dealer stock, of Israeli militaria, which was assembled by the late Jack H. Schwartz (Oak Park, Michigan, Canadian Army, Sergeant 1942-1946). So few references exist for much of the earliest Palestine Mandate, Haganah, and early IDF insignia, and many hours have been spent cross-referencing symbologies, manufacturing techniques, and historical events to identify a great number of items of very high rarity. I assume that, since so few of the early insignia survive, they were mostly worn during dress/parade occasions, if at all - and many units were either obfuscated, or completely classified, during this period. Synthetic attributions are appropriate as ad hoc approximations given the circumstances, but one item escapes my attempt to intersect internet and printed references with context. It is an enameled stick pin that seems to belong to the 2nd Corps, and I believe it may have been specifically from the 2nd Warszawski Signals Battalion, as it features blue/black enamel inlay patterns with a modernized Syrenka Warszawska prominently-featured on a medium blue background. Is this possible? There is no manufacturer marking on its reverse. Could this be a sweetheart pin? Any feedback would be helpful, and I'll upload more images as soon as I can retrieve the piece from its storage. The piece in question is featured at the left of these poor images: Is this a badge of the 2nd Warszawski Signals Battalion?Is this a badge of the 2nd Warszawski Signals Battalion?

Hello Endophasy and welcome to the forum. This badge displays the Syrenka Warszawska (Mermaid of Warsaw) in a familiar stylized manner, so it is likely of Polish origin. And you’re correct in identifying this symbol’s association with the Polish 2nd Corps, and also that blue and black are the colours of the signal corps. However, this badge has no connection to either. It is likely just a souvenir pin.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Upon further review, this appears to be a post-1945 private issue for semi-active veterans of the exiled force, worn possibly during formal occasions. It shares the same scale and exact color matching to the corps, and there is no comparable purpose for such a color scheme and stylization otherwise, as far as my research has extended, and according to the expert assessment of several WWII collectors I have contacted in Michigan, where the former owner lived. There were only two other pieces related to Warsaw in his vast collection: a nearly unworn Warsaw Ghetto volunteer pin on the Jewish Brigade (there were several very rare items from the Brigade present), and a 30th anniversary commemorative pin - in English - for the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising. In this sense, it is only a veterans badge - not resembling any other period curiosities for post-war tourism to Warsaw. Many objects were created for the millennial celebrations, but they seem to all be very monotonically close imitations of former color schemes, despite that no exclusive possession of any pattern may be claimed for either military, or for the patriotic decoration on souvenir objects during peacetime. He, Jack Schwartz," had labelled the original, deteriorating 2x2" cardboard storage holder himself as "2nd Corps." Strangely, the stick pin reverse is bent in such a way as to semi-permanently-affix this object to a lapel, hat or breast. Observe the construction and positioning of the pin: Is this a badge of the 2nd Warszawski Signals Battalion?Is this a badge of the 2nd Warszawski Signals Battalion?. The previous owner never visited Warsaw, but was involved with contact in Canada with members of the 2nd Corps, 2nd Warszawski Signal Battalion, active in Palestine, with many veterans of the unit settling there and in Canada. Compare: Poland Army WW2 2nd Corps Badge SAW Action Monte Cassino Italy Africa Rare | eBay
    http://cdn01.trixum.de/upload2/30200...1ae8bebb13.jpg
    http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjE3WDM4NA...+I!~~60_57.JPG

Polish Warsaw Medal Medal ZA Warszaw
    Is this a badge of the 2nd Warszawski Signals Battalion?Is this a badge of the 2nd Warszawski Signals Battalion?
    Is this a badge of the 2nd Warszawski Signals Battalion?
    Last edited by endophasy; 02-18-2015 at 01:24 AM.

On Ebay now for only mere $299. With same "story "......

“semi active veterans” ?? Like the story about the fastening pin being strategically “bent in such a way as to semi-permanently-affix this object to a lapel, hat or breast” there’s some obvious reaching going on here.

Until something a little more concrete is provided it remains to me a Warsaw souvenir pin with no established military connection. Commemorative veteran pins/badges will typically have some sort of text identifying the piece to a unit of service, maybe include a date or anniversary, and even mark the location of a vet gathering.

Sorry, no endorsement from this corner to help get a fatter price on ebay, which thanks to Kosa’a sharp eye we now know was the original intention of the post to start with.

T.
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Show me anything even REMOTELY closer. if you claim this to be a souvenir pin. Don't be offended that I also don't believe you. the piece had an attribution. I was just checking if you all could fill-in where information was otherwise lacking.

I’m not offended in the least, but rather welcome challenges in the hopes of learning something new. That’s the name of the game here. And to separate the wheat from the chaff. The onus fall on you, the seller, to provide something substantial to back up your assertion that this item has a military connection. Thus far nothing of the sort has been put forth. Best wishes to you.

I am aware of no one on this Forum that collects souvenir pins, so we are not able to show you one that is "close". I remember as a kid coming to Warsaw that similar pins were sold all over the City in "Kiosk Ruchu".

Pins like that were given to tourists visiting Warsaw.

That symbol : "Syrenka' has always been associated with the city of Warsaw. Google : " Warsaw Nike monument " and google " Warsaw mermaid " (Syrenka) .
    As Tony said before if in fact this was a Veteran's Rally pin it would have a date, possibly place, possibly Unit on it.

F