Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

`Cursed Soldiers` Thread

Article about: by 3mk The broken part of the wing on the eagle was used to show that their members of the NSZ Hi Emil, I think I finally found for my collection one of the eagles you have Do the markings Z

3mk
    ?

Default `Cursed Soldiers` Thread

This thread is deticated to the Polish anti-communist resistance in ww2 which was active from 1944-1963!
    My Great Uncle Wladyslaw Klos fought in the September Campaign then he joined the Home Army in early October which he remained in from 1939-1948 when he was arrested,tortured and almost executed.He fought the Germans,Soviets,and the Ukranians.

Please post any items relating to the `Cursed Soldiers` or stories.

Default Re: `Cursed Soldiers` Thread

Why were they called "Cursed soldiers (Żołnierze wyklęci)"?

A comprehensive account of the "Cursed soldiers " can be found in this massive tome:

Atlas polskiego podziemia niepodległościowego 1944 - 1956 or Atlas of Polish underground independence 1944 - 1956. editorial board: Rafał Wnuk, Sławomir Poleszak, Agnieszka Jaczyńska, Magdalena Śladecka.

It has an English translation of the indroductory text. But unfortunatley the text about operational units and organisations are only in Polish. Profusely illustrated with operations maps and period photos from the various anti-communist restistance units.

Pulished by the Instytut Pamięci Narodowej, IPN 2007

ISBN: 9788360464458

This book weighs a ton!!! Be warned if you buy it from Poland it is too heavy to mail for most air services.

If you are interested in the book and live in London then the Polish Underground Study Trust (SPP) had copies and I also think P.O.S.K bookshop and Polish bookshop Veritas had copies or can get them.

[I guess this should also be in the books thread]
    Attached Images Attached Images `Cursed Soldiers` Thread 

An interesting paper by Rafal Wnuk (who is now historian at I.P.N. in Poland)
    History of the Anti-Communist Conspiracy in Poland after the Second World War (1944–1956)
    Attached Files Attached Files

I have had this medal for a while. Don't know how many were awarded?

Order of Martyrdom and Victory - for Free and Righteous Poland
    (Order Meczenstwa i Zwyciestwa - o Polske Wolna i Sprawiedliwa)

Instituted on February 21, 1991 and conferred by Krajowy Zwiazek Weteranow Walk 1939-1989 o Polske Wolna i Sprawiedliwa (National Association of the Struggle for Free and Righteous Poland Veterans) to all those who were arrested, tortured, sentenced, imprisoned or persecuted in any other way for their activity in the cause of freedom and independence of Poland.

Badge: a white enameled Greek cross, 41 x 41 mm, with short and wide arms. In the center there is a red shield with a silver crowned eagle bearing a small shield with the years 1939 / 1989. On both sides and above the shield there is the inscription - REPRESJONOWANYM / ZA WALKE : O POLSKE WOLNA : I SPRAWIEDLIWA (to those persecuted for fight for free and righteous Poland); the years 1939 / 1989 are repeated below the shield. The reverse of the order is plain.

Ribbon 35 mm, of three light blue and two white stripes.

Would like to add one of these:

Order of Blood Spilled for the Country (Order Krwi Przelanej za Ojczyzne)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture `Cursed Soldiers` Thread   `Cursed Soldiers` Thread  

Attached Images Attached Images `Cursed Soldiers` Thread 
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

3mk
    ?

Heres a picture of my 2 Ryngrafs,The broken part of the wing on the eagle was used to show that their members of the NSZ,As sometimes ambushes were laid out by people saying their part of the NSZ when there was no way to prove it,Sadly I dont have that part of the wing
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture `Cursed Soldiers` Thread  

Quote by 3mk View Post
    Heres a picture of my 2 Ryngrafs
    Very nice indeed—I haven't seen the eagle before. What size is it?

3mk
    ?

Hey Stephan,
    I havent seen one like this either,But they must of been made in some quantities as the back is marked Z.U.P. and a cerial number which escaped by memory at the moment,Ill get you a measurment today.

The one on the left is my Great Uncles who fought in 1939,in the AK,and when the soviets came he joined the NSZ (around 1944).It has 2 hall marks on the back.

I got the other one straight from the Lady whos husband owned it.My Aunt knew her very well and was looking around for places with militaria for me so she asked her,And she gave her this Ryngraf and explained the story to her my Aunt didnt want it as it was a family related piece but she said she had no one else to share it with and it was me or the meusum.

Now Stephan any nice pictures?

Hi Emil,
    Do you know what area and unit of the NSZ your great uncle served with?

The NSZ were much maligned by the Polish communist regime. IMO it is also a shame that today the Polish far-right are also tarnishing the image of the NSZ by associating NSZ symbology and political aims with their own

I will post some more photos as the week goes on

3mk
    ?

Hey Stephan,
    Sadly I dont know what unit,But it was a unit located in the forest so he wore his full wz.36 uniform and breeches which he had from 1939.He fought near his village where he grow up Tarnogora,There is a little town called Izbica right next to it which was a Ghetto during the war.He fought around Tarnogora,Izbica,Zamosc,Krasnystaw and a couple of other small places in the area (Zamosczyna),My Grandpa told me on 1 occasion he went into action against the UPA Ukrainians near Chelm,At that time they were allies with the Germans so my Grandpa and Great uncle took off there Polish uniforms (I dont know how my Grandpa got a hold of a wz.36 tunic he said that his Brother found it for him)and went to Chelm in full German gear,It was a small fort inside the forest guarded by the UPA.My Grandpa told me that they were throwing saluts until half the units got inside and the other half open fire from the outside and took over the fort.My Grandpa has this all documented in a book written by another member of the NSZ which he knew,Sadly I dont remember the name of the book.My Grandpa offered to let me keep it but I felt that the language was a little bit to hard for my Polish

Indeed,Now their trying to make up stories of the NSZ killing Jews or capturing them and giving them to Germans,The NSZ was 100% against any country invading Poland and was only loyal to the Government in Exile so I highly doubt they would collaberate with the Germans.And on numerouse occasions they helped Jews escape from Ghettos and liberated some Concentration Camps,And the families of the NSZ helped hide Jews during the war.The people making these things up absolutly have no proof of this

Anyone else have any stories to share?

I cant wait for the pictures

Thanks Emil, for sharing your interesting family history. I very much enjoy hearing such personal accounts. I have some photos of the ghetto at Izbica somewhere in my collection.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast