Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Fate of Polish village of Łukawiec

Article about: I have been reading a lot and researching a lot recently on the Polish-ukrainian Wars and conflicts..... I dont think it worth worrying to much about straying off Militaria collectors talk a

Default re: Fate of Polish village of Łukawiec

I have been reading a lot and researching a lot recently on the Polish-ukrainian Wars and conflicts..... I dont think it worth worrying to much about straying off Militaria collectors talk as its all involved. We are collectors of Historical relics and this is History. There is a lot more stuff coming out soon about ukranian attacks and Polish revenge and counter attacks. I believe even one film will be made on it but obviously its controversial, but then what isn't when there is former enemies still alive over the boarder.

Maybe there should be a thread set in another section for such discussions

I agree Cenowski. I know on other sites such as Gunboards.com and Canadian Gunnutz they set aside forums for political and legislative discussions.

However sometimes when discussing a collection or a display, doing research or requesting further information or clarification (as I was), one may stray into areas where individuals have very strong differing opinions one way or another. I think if the questions and answers are to gather information or to clarify and not deliberately politicize or disseminate propaganda then some leeway should be permitted.

But if members want to argue the merits of their positions, then perhaps we should have some sort of sub forum for that. Just my $0.02.

Dastier i read a bit about the mentioned place of Łukawiec which is a Village of the Gmina of Wielkie Oczy, formley part of the Lwow Voivodeship in 1939. Here is some info that says that the population fell due to fights with attacking upa. The village was in support of the Polish Peasents Party who had the Bataliony Chłopskie, so no doubt around the whole ares was heavy fighting as the BCh had mass conflicts with ukrainains all over place at this times. Maybe more info could be found with the local PSL party as they keep lot of archives and info on this.

"Liczba ludności stale wzrastała. Pod koniec XVIII wieku wynosiła 1259 osób, w tym 733 unitów i 489 rzymskokatolików. Wraz ze wzrostem ludności nastąpił rozwój wsi. W XIX wieku był tu folwark, gorzelnia, mleczarnia, cegielnia i trzy karczmy. Zawierucha wojenna nie ominęła Łukawca. Świadectwem tego jest cmentarz wojenny żołnierzy austriackich z I wojny światowej. W latach 1937-39 Łukawiec był jednym z ośrodków ruchu ludowego. Liczni działacze PSL doświadczyli tu represji ze strony policji. Przed wybuchem II wojny światowej wieś liczyła 2030 mieszkańców, w tym 1077 grekokatolików. Liczba ta spadła w ciągu następnych lat w wyniku wojny i walk z UPA. Pomnik w lesie oraz mogiły partyzantów na cmentarzu przypominają o 5-godzinnej bitwie oddziałów Mikołaja Kunickiego "Muchy" stoczonej w czerwcu 1944 roku z Niemcami. Oddziały niemieckie wspierane czołgami poniosły znaczne straty w zabitych, rannych
    i sprzęcie wojskowym. W sierpniu 1944 roku utworzono we wsi posterunek milicji. Komendantem był plutonowy Mieczysław Nowicki pseudonim "Zbój". W latach 1945 - 46 wysiedlono z Łukawca 274 rodziny ukraińskie."

Thanks Cenowski, I'm trying to find out what happened to my uncle. There is so much I don't know but since I've joined War Relics (specifically the Polish Forums) I have been learning a great deal about my heritage and about my father who was a Polish soldier in WW2.

I am hoping that with the assistance of members such as yourself and others I might learn something about my uncle (who 'disappeared') and perhaps even my grandfather who died when my father was just a baby.

Unfortunately my father has passed away and even when alive he didn't disclose much.

There is a book i have found that is said contains info about Poles murdered by ukranian nationalists. Not sure out of Polska or allegro where you will find it but there is an extract with info.

Martyrologia polskiej ludności
    w województwie lwowskim w latach 1939-1947. Zbrodnie popełnione
    przez nacjonalistów ukraińskich"

Autor: Stanisław Jastrzębski

Here is some of the names and dates:
    Jan Boćko wiek: 51 mord: 06.45
    Stanisław Boćko wiek: 20 mord: 06.45
    Władysław Jaremko wiek: 21 mord: 22.05.44
    Stanisław Kalisz milicjant wiek: 22 mord: 9.05.47
    Michał Kociołek wiek: 16 mord: 5.08.44
    Stanisław Kociołek wiek: 44 mord: 5.08.44
    Józef Mamczur żol.BCh. wiek: 33 mord: 22.05.44
    Jan Michalik wiek: 40 mord: 44
    Władysław Nieduzak wiek: 45 mord: 29.05.44
    Józef Niedżwiak wiek: 50 mord: 22.05.44
    Stanisław Rempola wiek: 44 mord: 05.44
    Stefan Sopel wiek: 59 mord: 15.04.42
    Rozalia Szalej wiek: 20 mord: 05.44
    Wilhelmina Wilczynska nauczycielka wiek: 23 mord: 16.04.45
    Józef Wolanin wiek: 31 mord: 17.05.44

Also, if your familiar with using Family History centers and microfilms, you can order i think from Salt Lake City, Utah a microfilm of the Church Register of Łukawiec.

Source Księgi metrykalne, 1785-1993
    Author Kościół rzymsko-katolicki. Parafja Łukawiec (Lubaczów)
    Coverage
    Place Łukawiec (Lubaczow), Rzeszów, Poland
    Łukawiec (Lubaczow), Galizien, Austria
    Year range 1785 - 1993
    Subject Church records
    Religion Catholic
    Publication information
    Type Miscellaneous
    Publisher Mikrofilmowalo The Genealogical Society of Utah
    Date issued 1971, 1995
    Place issued Salt Lake City, Utah
    Citation
    Kościół rzymsko-katolicki. Parafja Łukawiec (Lubaczów). Księgi metrykalne, 1785-1993. (Salt Lake City, Utah: Mikrofilmowalo The Genealogical Society of Utah, 1971, 1995).
    Repositories
    Family History Center http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatal.. Family history center

It should have Birth, Baptisms, Marriages, and Deaths and also give you info of not just the parents on an individual but also the Grand Parents, so you could head back quite far.

Default Re: Fate of Polish village of Łukawiec

Quote by Cenowski View Post
    . . . I dont think it worth worrying to much about straying off Militaria collectors talk as its all involved. We are collectors of Historical relics and this is History. . .
    Well, there is a fine but definite line, and the original title of this thread (now changed) crosses that line as it invites discussion off the core purpose of this forum – which is to discuss ‘war relics’ / militaria and its collecting in a friendly and helpful atmosphere.

The discussion of history insofar as it directly applies to items of militaria is encouraged, and may also extend to assisting members hunting for information about the military service / origins of their ancestors. Although with the latter there are other sites on the web better suited to these discussions.

In any event, this thread will be allowed to continue, but will be closely watched. Please keep to comments limited to the question raised in the opening post of this thread.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Well a question was asked and suggestions and help have been given so i don't see need to watch closely to censor any comments related so closely.....

Without wanting to add coals to any fire, the book Martyrologia polskiej ludności w województwie lwowskim w latach 1939-1947. Zbrodnie popełnione
    przez nacjonalistów ukraińskich
    by Stanisław Jastrzębski is published by the Polish publisher Nortom.

As a matter of record Nortom is listed by the Roth Institute in Tel Aviv among the four Polish publishers known for their "antisemitic, Holocaust distorting or Holocaust denying books".

In 2000, Nortom was forced to withdraw 12 controversial titles from the Frankfurt Book Fair by the Polish Ministry of Culture representative Andrzej Nowakowski. Nortom was accused of selling anti-German, anti-Ukrainian and anti-semitic books. As a result of the above request, the president of the Polish delegation Andrzej Chrzanowski from Polska Izba Książki decided to penalise Nortom by removing it from the 2000 book fair altogether.

Another book on the subject published by Nortom incorrectly uses the now common gruesome image of the children tied to a tree with barbed wire as being illustrative of the Ukranian nationalists' massacre of Poles in Volhynia, 1943.

Fate of Polish village of Łukawiec Fate of Polish village of Łukawiec

The dead children were tied to a tree in the village of Kobzowa (powiat of Tarnopol) and the photo was taken in 1923. It actually depicts four Roma children who were tied to tree by their mentally ill mother after her husband was arrested and her Roma group dispersed. The murders took place in night of 11/12 December 1923.

In the interest of the historical veracity of Polish-Ukranian relations it is important IMO to make doubly sure these kinds of inaccuracies are not perpetuated ad finitum otherwise what should be historical truth becomes mere propaganda.
    Last edited by StefanM; 08-27-2012 at 02:16 PM.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Quote by Cenowski View Post
    Well a question was asked and suggestions and help have been given so i don't see need to watch closely to censor any comments related so closely.....
    It’s great to see helpful members such as yourself assisting each other. Your efforts are certainly appreciated.

Now, as to why it’s necessary to watch the discussion closely, contentious topics such as the activities of the OUN/UPA in Wołyń and Eastern Galicia have little to do with the ‘war relics’ themselves, and more with general history. As you may well know from other WW2 sites such discussions can and often do deteriorate into heated debate (or worse) from opposing viewpoints. There seems to be a misunderstanding of the purpose of this site and the guidelines that we encourage members to follow. Very simply, it is to foster polite and respectful discussion centered on the collecting and study of militaria, its production history, makers, variants, copies, etc.

To help clarify, here one can discuss say a Polish OZN badge from the late 1930's, its variants, makers etc, and can identify the political group that it represents. But we avoid the debate as to whether this political movement was fascist, patriotic, right or wrong. If the reader wants more information on this background history they are free to seek it elsewhere. This forum is not intended to be the place to get that information.

We ask that collectors bring and keep their knowledge of history with them, rather than use this forum to overtly espouse on that history.

The vision of the War Relics Forum creators was to have a comfortable and friendly place where people of differing viewpoints would not need to be hit in the face with opposing political views, but rather freely discuss the objects of our collecting desires. We want it to be the best site of its type on the internet. Most forum members will agree that much good has been achieved here without having delved into the causes that generated the militaria we collect. We’ll leave that to other sites, and there’s plenty of them.

I am allowing this thread to run ‘under advisement’ as a courtesy to hopefully assist dastier with his question about the existence of this town. If it starts to slip back off track (as some of the posts have) it will be closed.

Thank you for your understanding,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Regardless of rules i wish all the best to Dastier to finding more information on his family history for History and Remembrance purposes.....

Let us know how it goes Dastier

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2