Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My Mother's AK Documents

Article about: Hello, I've been going through my mother's papers and documents from the war years and have come across some that may be of interest. (As is so often the case she rarely spoke of her war exp

Default My Mother's AK Documents

Hello,
    I've been going through my mother's papers and documents from the war years and have come across some that may be of interest. (As is so often the case she rarely spoke of her war experiences). Only 14 when the war broke out she was fortunate to be home in Warsaw while her 15 year old brother was visiting cousins in Eastern Poland. He was promptly sent to a camp in Siberia after the Soviets invaded. My mother eventually joined the Armia Krajowa and fought in the Warsaw Uprising. After the Uprising she was sent to a pow camp just outside Dresden and witnessed the firebombing of the city. From there, she was sent to Oberlangen Stalag VI C until liberated by a unit of the 1st Polish Armoured Division in April of 1945. The photo of her in uniform is a post-war shot. I believe it was taken in Meppen, Germany.
    I'm putting together a retrospective of my mother's war years and was wondering if anyone knows whether she would have earned any decorations or badges from her service?
    Regards,
    Chris
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Mother's AK Documents   My Mother's AK Documents  

My Mother's AK Documents   My Mother's AK Documents  

My Mother's AK Documents  

Default Re: My Mother's AK Documents

Hi, Chris,

Thank you for sharing your mother's documents. As you know she served as a nurse in "Chroby II" which was part of 15 Infantry Regiment "Wolves" AK (15 Pułku Piechoty „Wilków” AK) and included battlegroup "Gurt". The units hospital was situated at Sliska 62 which is on your mothers AK identity card. Here is a link to an insurgent soldier, Henry Stanislaw Łagodzki, of Chrobry II that was treated in the hospital at Sliska...and maybe even by your mother. Stowarzyszenie Pamici Powstania Warszawskiego 1944

Chrobry Ii was predominantly an NSZ National Armed Forces unit and included Witold Pilecki as one of its company commanders.

As regards awards and badges I would recommend contacting SPP-PUMST (The Polish Underground Study Trust) in London who will be able to find your mother in their records and tell you what decorations would have been awarded and hopefully some details of you mother's part in the uprising. A fantastic book, written in English just after the war, by an AK nurse is "Silent is the Vistula" by Irena Orska and we'll worth reading, IMO the best account of the uprising ever written! It was the first memoir account of the Rising published in English and published by New York Longmans, Green, and Co. 1946.

My Mother's AK Documents

My Mother's AK Documents

A commemorative badge and award document issued to former soldiers of Chrobry II.

My Mother's AK Documents

The Chrobry II colour instituted in 1987.
    My Mother's AK Documents

My Mother's AK Documents

Below: Photo of the medics and nurses of IV Zgrupowania AK "Gurt" who operated alongside Chrobry II. The rest of my "Gurt" photo collection can be found online at Oficjalna strona Stowarzyszenia Pamięci Powstania Warszawskiego 1944

My Mother's AK Documents

From left: sierż podch (potem por.) "Ryszard" Henryk Banert. NN, st. sierż. "Fred" Alfred Brenneisen, NN, łączniczka "Wika" Zbigniewa Marszałek-Ścibor-Marchocka, ostatni plut. podch. "Korwin" Tadeusz Dziekoński
    Last edited by StefanM; 03-04-2013 at 02:43 PM.