Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is it needed - a Forum within Polish Militaria for discussion?

Article about: Fellow members and guests of the Polish forums... Sometimes discussions develop in the threads that lead off topic or perhaps 'bog' down the thread in some way. Sometimes the mods need to re

Default Is it needed - a Forum within Polish Militaria for discussion?

Fellow members and guests of the Polish forums...

Sometimes discussions develop in the threads that lead off topic or perhaps 'bog' down the thread in some way.

Sometimes the mods need to remind us to get back on track or suggest that the thread is not the place for discussion, especially when such discussions become polarized and passionate (though often such discussions add to the quality of the thread).

I have seen discussion forums on other sites and also within other Forums groups here on War Relics (History and Research forum within the German Militia 1939-1945 forums group for instance).

So...

Do we need a discussion forum within the Polish Militia Forums group for those that would like to further discuss and express opinions and exchange information outside of the threads that 'sparked' such discussions?

Is there an app here on War Relics to set up a survey in a thread? (this exists on CGN)

Thanks, Mike

Anymore news on this?

The Threads are created to generate the discussions which is what the thread is about. Another separate area of discussion will take away any necessary details which was spoken about the original thread...which any new reader may be confused and have to go back and forth to make sense of what was said. It is best to keep 1 thread IMO and the duties of the Mods to enforce the direction and content of the thread.

The use of links also posted within the thread adds to the needed detail to support the topic. I hope this may have answered some concerns. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I do not think it is about the thread going off topic that is the issue, its the fact that many want to talk about more than just the relic itself and more of Historical subjects and people, that usually involves political stances also. I have seen a few threads close that i found interesting and that i do not think should of been. There needs to be a line as to where debate ends and argument begins and sometimes that is not seen. As Dastier said strong debates often add to the quality of a thread

Talking Politics is not something we would want here. It will create problems and fall outs.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Cenowski View Post
    I do not think it is about the thread going off topic that is the issue, its the fact that many want to talk about more than just the relic itself and more of Historical subjects and people, that usually involves political stances also. I have seen a few threads close that i found interesting and that i do not think should of been. There needs to be a line as to where debate ends and argument begins and sometimes that is not seen. As Dastier said strong debates often add to the quality of a thread
    I think Polishforums.com is the appropriate place for discussions about non-militaria and politics in Polish history... if you are not already a member of that forum?
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

My fellow Polish mods and I have discussed the request of setting up a Polish "History and Research" subforum and it was left down to me to draft the discussion rules that would be the basis of posting in the subforum, if such a subforum was approved by the forum administrators.

For various reasons (read...excuses) I have not had chance to do this as yet, however I am slightly reluctant for this to happen now given the wishes expressed for an area to debate "political stances" etc which more often than not prove divisive and disharmonious—such is the nature of discussing politics, ideology, religious affiliation, inter-community relations etc especially those that apply to Polish history which seems to have a surfeit of controversies to spark divisive and polarizing views...I should know as some of my own posts have unintentionally ended up causing threads to be closed for this very reason and quite rightly so in hindsight.

I was not talking about non Historical related politics i meant in the context if more information was talked about the various Military personalities and units throughout Polish History connected to what ever the topic is.

For example, if someone is talking about the NSZ, can more be expanded on there structure and ideology in connection to certain items and where they would found. I don't anyone should have a problem with such normal conversation unless they want to be childish about such things.

As for Polishforums.com, there is mainly pointless threads on there and many pointless people.

History and Research does cover all what i mention, its all involved.

Half of this forum is includes items with the soviet and nazi symbols, that is political in itself as these symbols are political symbols only, not national symbols. Nothing from these threads are closed, so why should anyone get too upset at what the Polish section of the forum is talking about?

I think everyone who uses the Polish section of the forum is quite mature enough to post without creating problems.

Quote by Cenowski View Post
    I was not talking about non Historical related politics i meant in the context if more information was talked about the various Military personalities and units throughout Polish History connected to what ever the topic is.

For example, if someone is talking about the NSZ, can more be expanded on there structure and ideology in connection to certain items and where they would found. I don't anyone should have a problem with such normal conversation unless they want to be childish about such things.

As for Polishforums.com, there is mainly pointless threads on there and many pointless people.

History and Research does cover all what i mention, its all involved.

Half of this forum is includes items with the soviet and nazi symbols, that is political in itself as these symbols are political symbols only, not national symbols. Nothing from these threads are closed, so why should anyone get too upset at what the Polish section of the forum is talking about?

I think everyone who uses the Polish section of the forum is quite mature enough to post without creating problems.
    There is nothing stopping members posting on such topics as the structure of the NSZ, the personalities etc involved if it is directly related to the collection of Polish militaria. There are several threads related to the NSZ and the Holy Cross Mountains Brigade already. However, for example, discussion about the NSZ and anti-semitism or its alleged role in the murder of Polish Jews I would not see as being within the bounds of a Polish History & Research sub forum although these subjects are part and parcel of the historical debate about the NSZ.

We could debate the point about the symbols of Nazi Germany and those of the USSR on the forum vis-a-vis symbols such as the Polish eagle if such a distinction between the status of the symbols used by various States is relevant but I feel it is not. It is not accurate to say that no threads in the sub-forums you mention are ever closed, they are and that includes threads in the general "Discussions" sub forum when deemed necessary by the forum moderators.

A History and research section would certainly be of benefit and as mods work now surely it will be no different to what is already open in terms of what warnings are given and what is closed it mods feel it is needed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast