Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Searching for my hero relatives

Article about: Hi, my name is Kasha, and I am new here. I came on, because I have 3 relatives who all fought in the Polish Underground during the Warsaw Uprising. My mother was Maria Przytula aka Maryna or

?

Searching for my hero relativesSearching for my hero relativesSearching for my hero relativesHere are some pictures of my mom, right after the war, and later.

?

The last one is of my mom with my older sister and I. I was like 1....many many many moons ago!

?

my grandmother's maiden name was Eugenia Krolik. Is that a Jewish last name?

?

I just looked it up, and apparently it is a Jewish name. Could it be Catholic too, or just Jewish?

Great thread. I hope you continue to find answers
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Quote by Kasha View Post
    I just looked it up, and apparently it is a Jewish name. Could it be Catholic too, or just Jewish?
    I believe Krolik could be either. There are quite a few Polish surnames which can be.

Keep in mind also that so-called assimilated or converted Polish-Jews often changed an obviously Jewish surname to one that would not be recognisably Jewish as they wanted to be totally integrated within Polish life. This was mainly Polish-Jews from the professional classes.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Kasha, Thanks for posting the photos of your mother.

I am especially intrigued by the insignia underneath the "Poland" patch on her left sleeve. It looks vaguely like outstretched wings of some description? Is it possible to make a higher resolution scan of just that area? Maybe another member could id it ?

?

Looks to be the standard RAF shoulder flash.
    Royal Air Force - Insignia

Gary J.

Spot on Gary!

Worn on both sleeves by all RAF ranks below Warrant Officers, i.e from Aircraftman Second Class (AC2), through AC1, LAC, Corporal, Sergeant, and finally Flight-Sergeant.

So presumably she must have served in the PAF and the Polish Air Force Association might have further information?

?

Her first husband did. His name was Count Christopher Grabowski. He also was decorated with the VM. He was a sailor after the war. My older half brother Marc is his son. Marc has schizophrenia. this was probably Chris's coat.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast