Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Uniforms and Insignia of the Polish Underground State

Article about: by dastier PPsh 41 in use during the Warsaw Uprising. Where would AK battle group "GURT" have sourced these Russian weapons? During the Rising or earlier from Russian partisan grou

Default Re: Uniforms and Insignia of the Polish Underground State

Very good thread underway here.

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    . . . Do you know if this cross of valour was actually made specifically by the AK or was it awarded by AK? If made by AK any ideas who maker was? . . .
    The only information about the mysterious AK issue 1939 Cross of Valour that I’m aware of is contained in the Krogulec reference. The place and date of manufacture is stated as “Warsaw, before 1943?”. Other details mentioned:

Shield has wz.27 pattern national eagle of modified proportions filling the entire shield area. Ribbon ring of brass, non soldered. Ring suspender stamped along with the cross, convex shaped exterior surface, formed into an oval eyelet.

Crosses were distributed throughout the Home Army structure in 1943. No other particulars known from prior to this date.

Posted below are some close ups of the cross pictured earlier in this thread.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Uniforms and Insignia of the Polish Underground State   Uniforms and Insignia of the Polish Underground State  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Are there good books in English specifically about the AK and other Polish partisan units and their operations in occupied Poland? I'd be interested in learning more about the recruitment, organization, communications, supply and equipping of the AK as well as operational narratives and liaison/cooperation with the exiled Polish and other Allied forces.

I'd also like to read how the German military and administration attempted to combat the partisans in Poland both militarily and otherwise.

Books that provide a balanced, unbiased, truthful account not propaganda or jingoism. Books that would pass academic scrutiny. Thanks.

I am afraid that finding something in english might be hard. There are some books especially printed post-war in UK and Canada.
    Ontario - especially GTA has large AK combatant group.

Quote by dastier View Post
    Are there good books in English specifically about the AK and other Polish partisan units and their operations in occupied Poland? . . . Books that provide a balanced, unbiased, truthful account not propaganda or jingoism. Books that would pass academic scrutiny. Thanks.
    Start at the top, start here . . .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Uniforms and Insignia of the Polish Underground State  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Dastier, there is shed loads of books on Partizan units and working either from Historians or perosnal accounts in English language. Im not fluent in Polish so i read lot in english and have aquired quite a collection of books in english on the AK, and BCh, i have yet to find anything related to the NSZ.....

I have Bor-Komorowski's 'The Secret State' and 'Fighting Warsaw' by Korbonski (have not read yet) but what I'm looking for are books more along the lines of 'Hitler's Bandit Hunters' by Blood, 'Hitler's Police Battalions' by Westermann or Christopher Browning's work on 'Ordinary Men...' but these books focus on Nazi ideology, bureaucracy and efforts in the occupied countries not specifically Poland. I also have Soviet Counterinsurgency in the Western Borderlands but again this is not the Polish perspective.

I am not looking for memoirs. I am looking for (hopefully) unbiased, well researched, documented academic discourse on the AK and its ideology, organization, policies, recruitment, non military activities (clandestine schools, printing presses, hospitals, theatres etc), liaison and cooperation with other partisan groups, support of and rescue of Jews in the ghettos and camps, communication and cooperation with the exile government in London and other Allies, sabotage and military engagements against the German occupiers and other groups hostile to the Polish people and government. And how the Germans and other 'hostile' groups combated and reacted to the AK's activities.

Oh, and I'd like it to be well written and in English. Too much to ask?

Quote by 3mk View Post
    Ryngrafs were popular during the 2nd RP. They were often given out during special occasions such as Communions, Confirmations, Weddings and Promotions.. Occasionally you can find one with an inscription to a promoted soldier. They often have a the icon of the Virgin Mary with Jesus, Patriotic icons such as eagles and slogans, or both...
    3mk as per your request, here is a photo of my father's Ryngraf:

Dastier, i think the books you are looking for a proberly books written by certain Polish Historical groups and Military History institues and organisations. There is loads of great ones im sure but in English not that i have seen. Maybe some Polish Historical societies in the uk,usa or canada have something.....

Found this so far with is not written from either side, which is what you want from what you have said, not too sure how academic it is, no idea on the Author

The Polish Underground 1939-1947
    Autor: David G. Williamson

?

Good subject for a thread. Interesting.

Quote by Cenowski View Post
    Here some pics from the site of a Muzeum in Lublin dedicated to the Bataliony Chłopskie na Lubelszczyźnie....

Attachment 390039
    Great to see pics of the Browning wz.1928

Polish partisan member. Home Army unit 'Jędrusie.'

Zdzisław de Ville ps. "Zdzich", żołnierz oddziału "Jędrusiów", Okręg Radomsko-Kielecki Armii Krajowej z ręcznym karabinem maszynowym.
    (Fotografia pochodząca z archiwum fotograficznego Stefana Bałuka.)

Narodowe Archiwum Cyfrowe, Sygnatura: 37-1274

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast