Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Warsaw Uprising Museum

Article about: Sixty-nineth anniversary of the Warsaw Uprising this month. Many incredible photographs are to be found here: http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/polish...ictures-12304/ Plus a short bio of Eugeni

Default Re: Warsaw Uprising Museum

Quote by jbk View Post
    Attachment 384747 The german "Goliath" mini tank (remote controlled explosive carrier). Similar to the one featured in Andrzej Wajdas movie "Kanal".
    There is a Goliath Sd Kfz 303 Leichte Ladungsträger V-Motor at the Bovington Tank Museum, Dorset, England ....one of my favourite haunts as a young boy as my father was a senior instructor on Tanks for the Royal Armoured Corps based opposite the tank sheds of the Tank Museum

Warsaw Uprising Museum
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

I have a good 'tale' about the use of a Goliath but is OT and probably not appropriate for this thread. I can share it in a PM or post it if folks want to hear. It has nothing to do with the Warsaw Uprising Museum however so I'm reluctant to post it here.

Default Re: Warsaw Uprising Museum with added photos of the Uprising.

While researching information and photographs for the thread on Pistols, Rifles, Machine Guns and Crew Served Weapons of Partitioned Poland and the Polish 2nd Republic - I often come across other fascinating and inspiring references to Polish military history and militaria.

One such occurrence happened when I came across the story of Jerzy Tomaszewski, a member of the Home Army assigned by the Bureau of Information and Propaganda the important, but difficult, dangerous and ultimately disappointing task... to document the Warsaw Uprising in photographs.

There is a brief notation about Jerzy in Wikipedia as well as an archived New York Times article. But I have found an online article in which this Polish patriot talks about his role in the Warsaw Uprising: Photographer Jerzy Tomaszewski | Art and design | The Guardian

Here is a small sampling of the 1000 photographs Jerzy took during the Warsaw Uprising:

Armed Polish Boy Scouts.
    Warsaw Uprising Museum

Barricade at the intersection of Świętokrzyska and Mazowiecka Streets, viewed from Napoleon Square.
    Warsaw Uprising Museum

Warsaw Uprising Museum

Home Army courier crossing under fire.
    Warsaw Uprising Museum

Polish fighters preparing for battle on August 1st, 1944.
    Warsaw Uprising Museum

Not sure if these last two were taken by Jerzy Tomaszewski. Note the Błyskawica submachine gun.

Warsaw Uprising Museum

Warsaw Uprising Museum

Never forget!!!
    Last edited by dastier; 09-20-2012 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Edited for readability and added captions

Dastier where you have written Polish boy scouts, i think unless im really wrong that the first person to the left is a Woman

Quote by Cenowski View Post
    Dastier where you have written Polish boy scouts, i think unless im really wrong that the first person to the left is a Woman

I suspect a girl not a woman but you can't really be sure. One thing you can be sure of is that they are all young Polish patriots.

In any case that's the way the photo was captioned - and I prefer to use the caption provided unless I want to draw attention to something (like the Błyskawica submachine gun in the preceding photo).

I will add that besides a German helmet the young soldier is wearing a German camo smock, and the soldier in the middle has a German or Czech mauser not a Polish one..

Quote by dastier View Post
    I suspect a girl not a woman but you can't really be sure.
    An often made mistake

But the boy scout on the left wearing the helmet is Tadeusz "Maszynka" Rajszczak from the Miotła Battalion

Here is his bio page at Warsaw Rising Museum:

Powstancze Biogramy - Tadeusz Rajszczak

Below is Tadeusz again, note interesting Eagle patch on his left arm.

I used the previous well known photo on a book about Polish Scouts "Grey Ranks (szare-szeregi)" produced by Polish Underground Study Trust (SPP-PUMST) . Link is to earlier "Grey Ranks" forum thread.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Warsaw Uprising Museum   Warsaw Uprising Museum  

Last edited by StefanM; 09-21-2012 at 08:51 AM.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

Interesting museum pics.

Poland has some interesting museums.

Quote by dastier View Post
    I have a good 'tale' about the use of a Goliath but is OT and probably not appropriate for this thread. I can share it in a PM or post it if folks want to hear. It has nothing to do with the Warsaw Uprising Museum however so I'm reluctant to post it here.
    I for one would like to hear this Goliath 'tale' one way or the other.

Quote by Scout View Post
    Interesting museum pics.

Poland has some interesting museums.

I for one would like to hear this Goliath 'tale' one way or the other.
    Me too, a very interesting thread.

I would like to hear the story Dastier.

Tadeusz Rajszczak im sure is on the right, not on the left. The face is the same as the person on the right just not smiling as the other photo. The second photo shows Tadeusz in a jacket and pouches, the exact same as the person on the right. The person on the left has german camo smock and different build all together, still convinced there has been a monstorous mistake and that it a Girl on the left.

Also the seperate picture has the same person on the left in it, with the cap, and was proberly taken on the same day. On the left the scout has a skinny neck with no sign of any adams apple as they call it and what even in black and white shade i determin blonde hair comming down from under the helmet.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast