Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

11th supply company, 1st armoured div.

Article about: Greetings, I especially like the bullion cap eagle also. Have not seen a nice one like that before. These items would look very nice framed together like some of the other ones that we have

Red face 11th supply company, 1st armoured div.

Hi All,

I am writing this hoping that i can get some information on this unit. I have just had back his details from the Polish records office at Northholt and am trying to put together the missing details as like many other soldiers of his generation he would not speak to anyone not even his wife. I am slowly trying to work through the Polish words in the paperwork but would like help in finding out,

1, Where he would have been posted to in scotland.

2, What his unit badges/uniform were as we have only got his Polish 1st arm badge,black shoulder sergeant stripes, black lanyard and beret badges.

3,Any other history about the unit i.e. he was a sergeant, rode a motorbike at one time, vehicles, unit numbers/flashes etc.

The more that i can find out about start to finish the more i can tell my mum and with her memories piece together his past,

Cheers for your help,

Colin

?

Default Re: 11th supply company, 1st armoured div.

Greetings Colin,

I cannot find an 11 supply company that existed within the 1st Armored Division. The information that I have indicates that as of September 1, 1942 there was a 10th and a 16th company. From March 20, 1945 this was changed to a 10th and a 3rd company.

Is it possible that he was in the 10th?

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. My grandfathers records are at my mums at the moment as she can read polish far better than me but I can only go on what the covering letter from the records office states. On looking on the internet at the following web page Sta³e Przedstawicielstwo RP przy NATO - Polish Delegation to NATO at the bottom of the page there is a 'organisation' link under Gen Maczek photo. This opens a page that shows the formation of the 1st arm div and under the services part it shows the 11th supply (rations) company. Around the early part of 1945 he was transferred to the infantry transport company which would if in to what you have stated for that time,

Cheers,

Colin

Hello,
    A friend said to me that this document was from 11th supply coy of 1rst pol arm div...

Interesting question...
    Ze-Pole

?

Greetings,

There was indeed an 11th company (that's why I love doing this stuff!). I have attached a scan showing the 10th, 3rd and 11th companies. However, this is the only reference that I can find for the 11th. It doesn't show up anywhere else in the book that I can find. I have also attached a scan showing the breast badge, collar insignia and vehicle markings for the companies. Occasionally, the vehicle marking was also painted onto the helmets. I will post a photo for you of one of mine once I take some photos. I also attached a scan of the breast badge legit.

Unfortunately my geography of Scotland is very poor and I have difficulties with the regions that the 1st division was located, including counties, etc. I cannot give you specific reference with respect to where the supply companies were exactly located. It appears that the division was scattered from Montrose to Dundee with the headquarters being in Forfar from one reference that I could find.

Hope this helps. If I come across anything else I will post.

Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 11th supply company, 1st armoured div.   11th supply company, 1st armoured div.  

Attached Images Attached Images 11th supply company, 1st armoured div. 

Hi Mike,

That's interesting, your post is starting to fill in some of the blanks. Could you tell me the name of the book that you are using to find out these details . Also Is the 11th company No 84 in the vehicle plates? Being scottish If I can help with any place names just say.

Thanks again,

Colin

Hello,
    The plates comes from the book "1 DYWIZJA PANCERNA W WALCE". Mike will confirm I think.
    For the markings for vehicles, I am interested also in getting the information. I learn a lot. Thank you to all who post !
    Ze-Pole

Yes, ze-pole is correct: “1 Dywizja Pancerna w Walce” (1st Armoured Division in Combat), printed in 1947 by “La Colonne” in Brussels, Belgium.

In 1945 General Rudnicki formed a committee headed by Col. Majewski to facilitate the printing of a commemorative book that was to be written by soldiers and officers of this famed armoured division. 90 of 220 submitted articles were chosen for proportional representation of all sections of the division.

Only a few hundred copies were published due to lack of funds and a serious shortage of paper in post war Belgium. The soft cover binding was not very strong to hold over 5cm thickness, and surviving copies are often in poor condition. My copy pictured below was obtained from the late Captain W. Stankiewicz of the 1st Motorized Artillery Regiment, a dear friend. It too has the cover separating at the spine, but otherwise solid.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 11th supply company, 1st armoured div.   11th supply company, 1st armoured div.  

11th supply company, 1st armoured div.  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Greetings All,
    Yes indeed, this is the book. A geat book to keep your eyes open for. I knew that it was difficult to find, however I did not realize that the production number was so low. I obtained mine more than 10 years ago now. I also did not realize how it was put together from the number of submissions.

Tony, do you know if Captain Stankiewicz contributed one of the sections??

Interestingly mine has the original soft cover, but at some time it was enclosed in a hard cover overtop of this, so it is solid. The hard cover is embosed with the title.

I have attempted to find this publishing house through the internet, but have not been successful.

Mike

Hi Mike,

No, Władyslaw Stankiewicz did not contribute. Although he was an accomplished author in his post war career as an eminent political scientist ( W.J. Stankiewicz: Publications ). Not included in that list is a small bibliophile issue titled “Normandia 1944” he published in 1977 that recounts his experiences during the campaign in Normandy as a young artillery officer. ‘Władek’ presented me with copy number 30 of 133 printed.

Another Stankiewicz of no relation, Lt. Col. Ludwik Stankiewicz, CO of the divisional HQ, did contribute two chapters, one on the formation of the 1st Armoured Division and the second on the Falaise-Chambois operation.

Cheers,
    Tony

11th supply company, 1st armoured div.   11th supply company, 1st armoured div.  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast