Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

12 Ulans - Who is this soldier

Article about: Good day gentlemen I recently acquired this document. I'd like to try to find out a little more about this soldier. I can't actually make out the name. Kowalski Morrizic?? Many thanks James

Default 12 Ulans - Who is this soldier

Good day gentlemen

I recently acquired this document. I'd like to try to find out a little more about this soldier.

I can't actually make out the name. Kowalski Morrizic??

Many thanks

James
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 12 Ulans - Who is this soldier   12 Ulans - Who is this soldier  

?

Quote by jamest8 View Post
    Good day gentlemen

I recently acquired this document. I'd like to try to find out a little more about this soldier.

I can't actually make out the name. Kowalski Morrizic??

Many thanks

James
    I would say it is MARIAN

Hello James,

Unfortunately I could not find any information on Podporucznik Kowalski, there where 3 Marian Kowalski's awarded the MCC 2 were artillerymen and the other was a Lance Corporal in the 22 Transport Company.

I have also checked Stankiewicz's list for the 3DSK and only found 2 Kowalski's listed serving with 12PUL.

I then checked both Find my past and Ancestry and was able to find the deaths of only 3 Marian Kowalski's listed :

1) Marian Kowalski born 15th January 1911, died 4th Quarter of 1973 aged 62 in Manchester Registrar's Volume 10e Page 409.

2) Marian Cyprian Kowalski born 26th September 1908, died 4th Quarter of 1974 aged 66 in Congleton & Crewe, Cheshire Volume 35 Page 0328.

3) Marian Kowalski, born 1st February 1915, died 1st Quarter 1982 aged 67, in Enfield, London, Volume 12, Page 0678.

Unfortunately that is all that I have been able to find for you.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hi Andrzej and Jaxmon

Thank you both for your comments. Andrzej, because this person can't be found it is possible that this is a fake document or is it just a case of incomplete records?

James

Hello James,

With regards to the 12PULP Legitymacja to Ppor Marian Kowalski, the Monte Cassino Cross Recipients list are complete, what it could be is that this officer joined the Regiment after the Battle for Monte Cassino, Stankiewicz's records could be incomplete the only way of knowing would be to book a visit to the PISM reading room and go through what records they have for the 12PULP.

If you do decide to go ask to look through the (I think its 4 or 5 Folders) for the 2nd Corps awarded the Medal Wojska. This would provide proof of his Regiment and his Date of Birth and Army Number.

By the way I did also check to see if he might have been killed later in the war or even shortly after with no joy.

I did also come across this Legitymacja on the internet for you to compare James.

Obverse of the Legitymacja

Reverse of the Legitymacja

Best wishes

Andrzej

TMZ
    ?

I come back to this thread as I was trying to place a date on when these 12th Lancers badges were issued/made available.

So one Legitymacja above says 7 Maja 1945 and the other says 7 Maja 1946.

May 1945 sounds it would be too early (so soon after fighting ended) to consider the matter of a badge.

Does anyone have a clear idea of when these badges were issued?

TMZ
    ?

I will add this photo of another Legitymacja I saw for sale.

Archiwum Numizmatyczne, ceny monet, medali, banknot

You will see this one matches the '1945' layout rather than the '1946' pattern.

TMZ
    ?

And another of 11-XI-1945 for uł. Józef KLIMKOWSKI

?

I checked the regimental history and there was only one Marian Kowalski in the regiment between 1917 - 1945 and his rank was ulan. No way to know if he served during the war or before.

?

Quote by TMZ View Post
    ...May 1945 sounds it would be too early (so soon after fighting ended) to consider the matter of a badge.

Does anyone have a clear idea of when these badges were issued?
    Hi TMZ,

May 1945 is ok. In March 1945 the Chief of Staff of the Polish Armed Forces in Exile approved a new color for the 12th Podolski Lancers Fourragere and allowed to issue regimental badges. As you can see in the photos of legitymacja all documents issued in Italy are marked with II which means the second issue of the regimental badge. The first one was before WW2.
    In Italy the badges were issued on the Regimental Day celebrated on the 7th of May either in 1945, or in 1946. The 12th Lancers stayed in Italy until Ocotber 1946.

P.s. The 12th Podolski Lancers got the regimental flag on the 7th of May 1919, and the 7th of May is the 12th Podolski Lancers Day.

Regards,
    Kosa