Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

1st Independent Polish Paratroopers No 2. Uniform?

Article about: Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I recently came into possession of this coat, that i believe to be a British made No 2. Uniform for the 1st Independent Polish Paratroopers/Airborne.

Lets say I wanted to get an idea of what it might cost me to get the rest of the uniform to complete it. (Originals where the price is reasonable) Such as: Hat? Would the "Polish Grey Beret" go with this uniform? Or an officers peaked cap? A quality replica of the "jump badge". The belt and pants that would go with this uniform. Just want to get an idea what it would cost me to complete it. (I don't know if the parachutes on the collar are replaceable, I would like to replace the one but with an original but would be hard to find one)

You would need a grey airborne beret. This would be several (high) hundreds of dollars/Pounds for an original.

A decent repro Paratroopers badge would be fairly cheap, about £20 to £30.

Belt and pants around £100 to £120.

Do NOT touch the collar tabs!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Would this be the appropreate belt that would go on top of the jacket?

And these would be the appropriate pants?

No, these are no good.

You need a "Sam Brown" style Officers belt with cross strap and a pair of British Service dress trousers.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks, one final question. What about the shirt and tie that would be worn under the coat? Or does this uniform (no 2.) not have that?

Hello Ryan,

First off, I had answered the questions in your private email several days back but am uncertain if you have received the reply.

To add to Ade’s replies to your questions:

1) Beret: a rare item not often seen for sale, so don’t hold your breath expecting one anytime soon. And start saving your shekels.
    2) Belts: in addition to the Sam Brown there is also a fabric belt made of the same material as the uniform that would also be correct.
    3) Shirt and Tie: yes, a shirt and tie were definitely worn

I’m away from home at the moment but will post pics of these items later tonight for you.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

As promised,

The Sam Brown belt. The belt and uniform visible in period photo on the right are the same ones on the left. Everything is genuine and unaltered. The veteran had added a ribbon bar afterwards.

(click on photos to magnify)

SD Trousers and the fabric belt mentioned. The trousers will have variations depending on the tailor.

The shirt. Again there were variations. This one is part of a Polish 1st Armoured Regiment uniform set . . .

. . . with the officer's monogram inside:

The tie.

And lastly, this is the colour and maker of beret you'll be on the lookout for. This is a 2nd Pattern produced by the Glasgow based firm A & J Gelfer, owned by brothers Abram and Jack.

Best wishes with your project. If you take your time to do it right by patiently awaiting original period pieces you will be most satisfied. Having a genuine 1st Polish Independent Parachute Brigade SD tunic is a fantastic starting point. As Ade warned earlier, don't dare alter in any way with the only exception being adding the missing buttons.

And as mentioned in my PM to you, I strongly recommend that you research this officer now that a name has been established. If you can add some historical details to the uniform set you will not only enhance the its value, but also your appreciation for it. Please also consider reading about the Polish paratroops. I highly recommend "Freely I Served: The Memoir of the Commander, 1st Polish Independent Parachute Brigade 1941-1944" by the great General Stanisław Sosabowski, and also "Poles Apart: Polish Airborne at the Battle of Arnhem" by George F. Cholewczynski, an occasional visitor and participant here on this forum.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2