Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

2 Batalion Grenadierów

Article about: Hello all I got this badge on ebay recently. You all probably saw it. I'm sure that it is an elaborate hoax with the 1942 3d piece as the spinner. But is just amused me and I thought it woul

Default 2 Batalion Grenadierów

Hello all

I got this badge on ebay recently. You all probably saw it. I'm sure that it is an elaborate hoax with the 1942 3d piece as the spinner. But is just amused me and I thought it would make a filler till I find the real thing.

Regards

James
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2 Batalion Grenadierów   2 Batalion Grenadierów  

2 Batalion Grenadierów  

Default Re: 2 Batalion Grenadierów

Hi James, thanks for sharing your new acquisition. You’re correct that it’s not a genuine official issue badge. Those were die stamped and had the British style twin lug fastening system. This one has the look of something a vet may have had made, or even a period made “warsztatowka”, which were not uncommon with the Poles.

As you know, the badge was initially issued with a fabric backing of Royal Stewart tartan to be worn on the left side of the FS cap, beret, and I’ve read even the rogatywka hat as well. A lesser known fact is that the badge received approval for commemorative use by those transferred to other units. For commemorative use the regulations stipulated mounting onto the left breast pocket.

The Poles had an affinity for the threaded post fastening system, so perhaps this was badge was commissioned specially for use as a pocket badge - ?? Again, the badge has that period copy sort of look about it, and not the look of an outright 'collector's' reproduction. I did see the auction, and recall it sold for a low price. I’d say a worthy gamble.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Thanks Tony

Some very interesting comments indeed. I hadn't realised that it was worn as a commemorative breast badge. I wonder if any photos exist of it being worn on a rogatywka? Or as a pocket badge for that matter. Were they worn on the pocket with the tartan flash?

All the best

James

Hi James,

Somewhere I have a picture of a rogatywka with this badge. I seem to recall that there was a bird’s feather added as well. I’ll try to dig it out when my references are at hand.

Good question re the tartan for the commemorative use of the badge. No, the tartan was not used.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne