Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

3 Signalers Badges - Is one field made of a fake?

Article about: Gentlemen Here are 3 Signalers badges. The lower ones I think are UK made by Stanley except the one with the black backing is missing a blade. But what about the top one. Is it a fake or is

Default 3 Signalers Badges - Is one field made of a fake?

Gentlemen

Here are 3 Signalers badges. The lower ones I think are UK made by Stanley except the one with the black backing is missing a blade. But what about the top one. Is it a fake or is it field made? It appears to be made from some sort of soft white metal and paint rather than enamel.

Many thanks

James
    3 Signalers Badges - Is one field made of a fake?3 Signalers Badges - Is one field made of a fake?

Default Re: 3 Signalers Badges - Is one field made of a fake?

The "field made" could have been cast at the Signals workshop at Stanmore? I have seen the brass nut style before.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

That type of nut certainly seems the type used to fix a wire to a screw thread (Modern day stereo speaker connection are similar), ... and the favourite "white metal" used was a shilling or florin melted down as it held a reasonable silver content at the time.

Gary J.

Hi James,

The two lower badges with the blade fastening are likely Collins, London type rather than Stanley & Sons. The upper badge has all the makings of a period 'warsztatówka' (workshop). All three appear OK.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Thanks for your comments everyone - I was going to get rid of the 'warsztatówka' but I think I'll keep it now. I guess such 'warsztatówka' badges were made early in the war before the contracts had been set up with Collins etc

Regards

James

I would definitely keep it. A authentic period workshop badge must not be an easy find.

Quote by jamest8 View Post
    . . . I was going to get rid of the 'warsztatówka' but I think I'll keep it now. I guess such 'warsztatówka' badges were made early in the war before the contracts had been set up with Collins etc
    I’d agree that that one is a keeper. As far as when they were made, the evidence suggests that some were made before official production was started, and others were made while ‘professionally’ made badges were produced. I suspect that some soldiers preferred to keep their official badges safely tucked away and display substitutes on their uniforms. In some instances soldiers were given only the document authourizing their award of the badge (such was the case with my father) and obtaining the badge was up to them. Depending on where one was stationed the official issues may not have been readily available, hence the production of copies by enterprising soldiers.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hi Tony, Gary, 4th Skorpion and Dastier.
    Great comments and information - many thanks to you all.
    All the best
    James

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    I’d agree that that one is a keeper. As far as when they were made, the evidence suggests that some were made before official production was started, and others were made while ‘professionally’ made badges were produced. I suspect that some soldiers preferred to keep their official badges safely tucked away and display substitutes on their uniforms. In some instances soldiers were given only the document authourizing their award of the badge (such was the case with my father) and obtaining the badge was up to them. Depending on where one was stationed the official issues may not have been readily available, hence the production of copies by enterprising soldiers.

Regards,
    Tony
    Good points
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Another signals badge has just come my way and it also looks like a field made example. It is very nicely made and still has the black backing patch.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 3 Signalers Badges - Is one field made of a fake?   3 Signalers Badges - Is one field made of a fake?  

3 Signalers Badges - Is one field made of a fake?  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast