Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

4th armrd reg

Article about: Oops! Wrong Jankowski. Should have read VM, KPMC, MW, 2Sz. My apologies!

Default Re: 4th armrd reg

Hey 4thSk

Tried the link but it only takes you to the main forums page?

Gosh, it's quite weird feeling as I've got a few vet-friends who knew Mr Gach very well and I've heard about him several times. I know members of the Batalion Chrobry I branch of the Home Army Soldiers Association quite well. A couple of them who happily are still with us today served with Mr Gach during the Warsaw Uprising, though for some unknown to me reason he wasn't mentioned in the Batalion Chrobry I commemorative book (Zgrupowanie "Sosna" Batalion "Chrobry I", Warszawa 1993). Another vet who knew Mr. Gach is a close vet-friend of mine from Chicago who was very close with him since their service with the Polish Resettlement Corps. I remember the situatuaton when he told me that someone called Mr Gach as he was the only Pole in the hood to look after some memorabilia of the deceased Polish para so he went at his place, took all military documents and decorations and passed them either to the Sikorski Museum or some other Polish-English cultural institution (I don't remember exactly).
    That's all I can recall and write down here. I hope it's gonna be helpful for you.

Regards,
    Tom

Quote by ChrisW01 View Post
    Hey 4thSk

Tried the link but it only takes you to the main forums page?

Hi ChrisW01
    I have edited the URL so the link works now. The error was in the forum URL link feature which added the forum URL to the www.sppw1944.org/powstanie/mlodzi/apel.xls URL
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Quote by Thomas the Tank Engine View Post
    Gosh, it's quite weird feeling as I've got a few vet-friends who knew Mr Gach very well and I've heard about him several times... A couple of them who happily are still with us today served with Mr Gach during the Warsaw Uprising... Another vet who knew Mr. Gach is a close vet-friend of mine from Chicago who was very close with him since their service with the Polish Resettlement Corps.

Regards,
    Tom
    Wow! A remarkably small world indeed!

Tom, The Chrobry I vet you mention from Chicago who knew Jerzy Gach, is he still around? I would very much like to contact him and any of the others who might be able to tell me a little more about Jerzy Gach and their story together.

I guess the most important thing (from my point of view) would be to try and establish if the Jerzy Gach they knew is the same Jerzy Gach that enlisted in 4th Skorpion Regiment and became one of my late father's best buddies.

I have just applied for a copy of Jerzy's death certificate so I can find out his last address and maybe contact his family here in the UK.

4th armrd reg
    Jerzy Gach - November 1945

4th armrd reg

Jerzy Gach - 1st from right (my father is 2nd from right)
    Last edited by StefanM; 02-08-2012 at 10:09 AM.

Hi, sorry I missed your earlier reply to me. Glad it looks like the right man.

When I was looking for him I also discovered a marriage and there are, I believe, living offspring. I will need to double check on this. I will not be able to provide contact info but certainly names.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Possible marriage:

Name:
    Jerzy Gach

Spouse Surname:
    Woodhams, Brenda

Date of Registration:Oct-Nov-Dec 1958

Registration district: Lewisham

Inferred County: London

Possible offspring:

Name: Andrew J Gach

Mother's Maiden Surname: Woodhams

Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1959

Registration district: Camberwell

Inferred County: Greater London, Middlesex

I have done a search on this possible wife: death records only go up to 2005 so we can summise she was still alive until then.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Another possible later marriage:

Name: Jerzy Gach

Spouse Surname: Martinez Rodriguez (the name is coming up as both "Martinez" or "Rodriguez" or both.

Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1971

Registration district: Ealing

Inferred County: Greater London, Middlesex

Cheers Ade

Can I ask which resource you accessed to find out this information?

All from Ancestry. It is a good resource.

Phone book entry from 1979: there are other preceeding ones, but this is the last one:

Name: J Gach

Address: 12 Andover Close, Greenford, Middlesex

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast