Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

5 KDP Dowództwo Saperów group to Kazimierz Dolatowski

Article about: Gentlemen I'd like to share this group with you. Awarded to Kazimierz Dolatowski who died in the British General Hospital No 83 from wounds sustained on the battlefield in December 44. (if m

Default 5 KDP Dowództwo Saperów group to Kazimierz Dolatowski

Gentlemen

I'd like to share this group with you. Awarded to Kazimierz Dolatowski who died in the British General Hospital No 83 from wounds sustained on the battlefield in December 44. (if my Polish is correct). The 5KDP badge has a nice black "podkladki" as well which I like.

What is the significance of the penciled number and 'PROKOPSKI"?

Also the passport for Kazimierz's father plus a german document. What is it? Is Casimir the same as Kazimierz? If so how would he have got from Poland in 1943 to Italy?

Sadly there are no names on the photograph which came with the group. I wonder which is Kazimierz ?

Many thanks for your help

James
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 5 KDP Dowództwo Saperów group to Kazimierz Dolatowski   5 KDP Dowództwo Saperów group to Kazimierz Dolatowski  

5 KDP Dowództwo Saperów group to Kazimierz Dolatowski   5 KDP Dowództwo Saperów group to Kazimierz Dolatowski  

Last edited by jamest8; 10-18-2011 at 08:54 PM.

Default Re: 5 KDP Dowództwo Saperów group to Kazimierz Dolatowski

Hi James,

The German document is a birth certificate.

Yes, Casimir is the anglicized version of Kazimierz

Re the “penciled number and 'PROKOPSKI"”: The number is army ID number. I wonder if the name was maybe a pseudonym - ??.

As to how this fellow made it to Italy from Poland, we’ll never know without a surviving account from him.

The bullion thread eagle insignia is a type that has been on the market over the past 5 years or so. The story goes that a small lot of these were found at a tailor’s shop in Scotland, where units of the Polish 1st Corps were stationed there during the war years. These ‘unissued’ bullion eagles have been circulating in the marketplace ever since. The eagle in your group appears exactly like one of these, and it’s possible and indeed likely it has been added to the group. Also, this hat eagle pattern is not normally associated with the Polish 2nd Corps, which Kazimierz Dolatowski served in.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 5 KDP Dowództwo Saperów group to Kazimierz Dolatowski  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hi Tony

Many thanks for your comments.

The birth certificate still puzzles me. Casimir is described as "worker" so is it for the Kazimierz whom the 5KDP badge belongs to? Presumably it was issued by the Germans retrospectively for some reason or is it just an acknowledgement of Casimir for administrative reasons?

Interesting about the cap badge. I'll post pictures. It looks as though it has been worn but may be pictures will clarify.

Many thanks again Tony

All the best

James

Oh! and if any one has a spare Sapper badge that I could add to this group ..............

thanks

James

A couple of pics of the beret badge. Do I understand from your comments that this isn't treated as a fake or is it?

Many thanks

James
    5 KDP Dowództwo Saperów group to Kazimierz Dolatowski5 KDP Dowództwo Saperów group to Kazimierz Dolatowski

Hi James,

This type is considered a genuine period bullion thread eagle. They’re covered in the trustworthy Zawistowski reference.

Yours also appears to be one from the unissued lot discovered several years back and released onto the market. There are some minor detail differences between mine pictured earlier, but it’s obviously the same maker.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne