Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

5 Kresowy Batalion Ciężkich Karabinów Maszynowych Badge

Article about: Good day Gentlemen Here we have a badge for 5 Kresowy Batalion Ciężkich Karabinów Maszynowych or 5 Kresowy Heavy Machine Gun Battalion. I understand 5CKM were divisional troops for

Red face 5 Kresowy Batalion Ciężkich Karabinów Maszynowych Badge

Good day Gentlemen

Here we have a badge for 5 Kresowy Batalion Ciężkich Karabinów Maszynowych or 5 Kresowy Heavy Machine Gun Battalion. I understand 5CKM were divisional troops for 5 Kresowa Infantry Division.

I think this is a nice badge - is it fairly common?

Many thanks for your comments.

All the best

James
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 5 Kresowy Batalion Ciężkich Karabinów Maszynowych Badge   5 Kresowy Batalion Ciężkich Karabinów Maszynowych Badge  

Default Re: 5 Kresowy Batalion Ciężkich Karabinów Maszynowych Badge

Hi James,

Not common by any stretch, although a couple have cropped up on the market lately. The highest numbered badge I recall seeing was in the 800’s. Maybe someone will be able to chime in with details as to production quantity.

Pictured below is a recently acquired 5CKM badge set, part of a larger grouping of items issued to this veteran. Of particular interest is the note that accompanied the badge requesting that it and the award document (issued in Italy) be delivered to the veteran who was recovering in Army Hospital 5 in Chiseldon, England.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 5 Kresowy Batalion Ciężkich Karabinów Maszynowych Badge   5 Kresowy Batalion Ciężkich Karabinów Maszynowych Badge  

5 Kresowy Batalion Ciężkich Karabinów Maszynowych Badge  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hi Tony

Many thanks for your reply and comments. It is so great to see groups like this still together and even better that collectors like you are keeping them together. Isn't it nice to see that the award and document did reach the intended recipient.

Many thanks for sharing the pictures

Best wishes

James

A link to Chisledon Camp and hospital. After the war it became one of the Polish Resettlement Corps camps.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Thanks for the link 4S. Good information.

Sorry James for straying off your original topic, but please allow this brief diversion . . .

Here’s an excerpt of the pertinent section:

Quote by Chiseldon Camp View Post
    At the end of the European war in May 1945 the camp returned to British control, the occupants being German and Italian prisoners of war. By December it had returned to its pre-war function of preparing soldiers for their return to civilian life, with of a number of 4-week courses. A further college arrived in October 1946 when the secondary school for the Polish 5th Infantry Division was located in the vacant Nissen huts of the 130th Hospital. Many of the young Poles fighting in the British Army had received little or no secondary education since 1939 and this school provided an intensive series of courses that brought the pupils up to matriculation standards in two years.

By the beginning of 1948 these units had all ceased to operate or moved on . . .
    So it seems it was more of a vocational education facility rather than a hospital per se.

Posted below is a product of this facility acquired recently. It is the familiar crest of the Polish 2nd Corps, handcrafted in leather stretched over what is probably a wood core, measuring roughly 6 x 8 inches. The label affixed to the back is marked “5 Szpital Wojenny - Dział Szkolenia Zawodowego” translating to: 5th Army Hospital – Vocational School Branch.

Regards,
    Tony

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

I have a couple of photo of the Chisledon camp nissen huts. My late father was there at some point during his stint in the Polish Resettlement Corps. Will scan the photos and post them.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    I have a couple of photo of the Chisledon camp nissen huts. My late father was there at some point during his stint in the Polish Resettlement Corps. Will scan the photos and post them.
    Super. Those will be interesting to see. Thanks.

Quote by jamest8 View Post
    . . . It is so great to see groups like this still together . . .
    Seeing as we’re staying off the original course of this thread . . .

As it happens, these items barely survived. Here’s a pic of the lot as found. The grouping was saved by a person appointed to sell the veteran’s house after he passed away. Sadly, the veteran was a widower and childless. Noticing that these items may have some value they were literally plucked off the trash heap as the house was being cleared out. No other items from his military service were salvaged, but thankfully these were.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 5 Kresowy Batalion Ciężkich Karabinów Maszynowych Badge  

How fantastic that you were able to get the paperwork as well as the badges. It make a lovely group. Well done for saving it. I'm so looking forward to acquiring my first fully accredited group with the award papers.

Incidentally, a couple of similar leather shields sold a few days ago on ebay. Two different brigade emblems. The label on the back was very similar to this one shown. I wish I had bought them now that I know what they are.

How fantastic that you were able to get the paperwork as well as the badges. It make a lovely group. Well done for saving it. I'm so looking forward to acquiring my first fully accredited group with the award papers . . .
    Thanks James. But I don’t deserve any credit for saving it as it was someone else who spotted it in the disposal pile and wisely scooped the lot. I wonder if anything else was left behind - ??

As a post script, I was able to obtain a picture of the veteran’s grave marker. Sadly, it appears to be neglected.

T.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 5 Kresowy Batalion Ciężkich Karabinów Maszynowych Badge  

. . .Incidentally, a couple of similar leather shields sold a few days ago on ebay. Two different brigade emblems. The label on the back was very similar to this one shown. I wish I had bought them now that I know what they are.
    Yes, here’s one of them commemorating the 18th Battalion of the 6th Lwow Rifles Brigade. It certainly fetched a healthy price! I had first dibs at acquiring this and the other one (had them all in my possession), but settled for just the Polish 2nd Corps crest pictured earlier. Now, looking back in hindsight . . .

Cheers,
    T.

5 Kresowy Batalion Ciężkich Karabinów Maszynowych Badge   5 Kresowy Batalion Ciężkich Karabinów Maszynowych Badge  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast