Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Berets

Article about: Hello, I have seen some blue berets associated with Polish uniforms.Is there any significance to these colours or are they a collector affection?Also are the 4 piece Gelfer made pieces the o

Hi guys
    Yesterday I picked this beret on a flee market in New Jersey , the man told me it's comes from state sales .I would appreciate any opinions

BeretsBeretsBeretsBeretsBeretsBeretsBeretsBerets

Hi Janek, thanks for posting your new acquisition.

The beret itself appears to be genuine, with the Grand-Mère Knitting Company being a recognized supplier to the Allies. Although I have not yet seen this manufacturer associated with the Polish forces. That's not a deal breaker though. You'll need to keep eye out for a Polish issued beret from this maker with provenance.

The eagle is a William Scully, Montreal product. It is a good sign to see the original mounting blades intact and properly fastened. The Scully eagles are known for their fragility here.

The manufacturers and Canadian broad arrow acceptance stamps don't appear to have much wear, which sometimes indicates a put together item. Is there any visible shadow in behind the badge that would indicate it has been mounted there for a long time? And is the wool colour khaki or grey?

Did you purchase this from a militaria dealer? You mentioned that originates from an estate sale. By chance was there a name associated with this beret?

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Hi All,

I have bought this GS Cap recently. I am not able to evaluate if it's original or not, so will be very thankful for your opinion.

Regards
    Esco
    BeretsBeretsBeretsBeretsBerets

Hello Esco,

I was asked for an opinion about this beret by another collector interested in purchase. Overall it looks OK. There's some signs of age. The British Mandate Palestinian coin lends a little bit of authenticity.

But . . . this one does have some 'guilt by association' issues. The same seller had several put-together fakes listed claiming them to be genuine. Here's the only image I have that shows two others - a bogus air force cap with modern replica insignia and 1SBS para beret. There was also a fake red British Airborne beret not pictured here. You'll recognize your beret in the photo, with a 2nd Rifles Battalion badge affixed.

Does this mean your beret is a cobbled together creation? We can't say for certain. The prospective buyer who asked me about it decided against purchase.

Berets

You'll recognize the same red picket fence and background in this photo of your beret:

Berets

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

?

Thanks Tony. It is exactly the one I bought. If it's only flaw is that it's a put-together item, then it's fine - I expected this. I am rather wondering if original WWII components were used.

Hi Esco,

First off, I need to correct myself and identify this cap correctly as you have done - a General Service cap rather than beret. In my view, something that has been assembled from parts and misrepresented as being genuine is actually a rather serious matter. But if you are satisfied with your purchase that is of course entirely your prerogative. Each collector is different. As far as the parts go, the base cap itself is appears to be good piece. The eagle is suspect though. I don't recall this a legitimate period variant. I'll await others to correct me if I'm wrong. The rank stars may be OK, but there were many different types used. Rank stars with threaded posts were manufactured in Italy by Bomisa (Milano) from aluminum and found on genuine period 2nd Corps headwear, but at least two of the stars on your cap appear to be of brass.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Berets   Berets  

?

Thank you for the opinion. After close examination I also think that at least eagle and two stars are fakes. Eagle differs from the version which I found in literature (especially when we compare claws). Most likely it is a replica made recently for 1939 reconstruction cap made by Polish company called Lancier. If this is the case then somebody put a lot of effort to make it look genuine (engraved personal initials "J+C", put some dirt on it, added original 1939 Palestinian coin). The seller guaranteed it is 100% original, so in this case I will return the item.

BeretsBerets

Lancier replica:
    Berets

Hi Esco

Can You please take good quality pictures using digital macro function on your camera for close up(s) and post the Eagle on the Polish Eagles - forum?.
    In the nutshell, and from my personal perspective, this variant is period known and documented- actually. if authentic, this eagle belongs to the family of types called "simplified" ones - made in middle east.
    I would like to see better pictures of avers and revers - to be 100% sure.

Quote by Esco View Post
    Thank you for the opinion. After close examination I also think that at least eagle and two stars are fakes. Eagle differs from the version which I found in literature (especially when we compare claws). Most likely it is a replica made recently for 1939 reconstruction cap made by Polish company called Lancier. If this is the case then somebody put a lot of effort to make it look genuine (engraved personal initials "J+C", put some dirt on it, added original 1939 Palestinian coin). The seller guaranteed it is 100% original, so in this case I will return the item.

BeretsBerets

Lancier replica:
    Berets

Default Pre-WW2 beret re-issued

Gentlemen,

I am new to the forum, I have been interested in Polish militaria since I remember. I have bought this beret which with a nice I think English made bullion Major's rank eagle. However the beret itself - is it a Polish pre-WW2 beret, or has the liner been taken out. I would be thankful for opinions.

Regards,

Miko
    BeretsBeretsBeretsBerets

Hello again Miko,

I agree with you that the eagle is PSZ made. I would lean towards 2nd Corps usage. Is the beret pre-war? Needless to say, surviving pre-war 10BK berets are beyond rare. The only convincing example I have ever encountered is the one pictured below. As expected, a maker marked private purchase for an officer (J. Wilman Lwow). Leather sweatband, separate liner, and beautifully executed bullion thread insignia that appears to be embroidered directly into the beret fabric. Quality all the way.

Click on photos to magnify image:

Berets

Berets

Berets

Berets

Berets

Berets

Berets

Berets

Cheers,
    Tony

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast