Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Books

Article about: Hi all, My partial reference book list which I have limited to English language editions only. It is a mix of out-of-print and more recent — Cazalet, V.A., With Sikorski to Russia, Lon

3mk
    ?

Default Re: Books

This looks like a good book about the ``White Devils`` (There emblems were White Eagles and Wolfs)
    Civil War in Poland, 1942-1948, World War II at Poland by Mail

Any reviews??Its a little to expensive for me but maybe when I get some money Ill buy it

Quote by 3mk View Post
    Civil War in Poland, 1942-1948, World War II [/url]

Any reviews??Its a little to expensive for me but maybe when I get some money Ill buy it
    Hi Emil,

Anita Prazmowska's book is an excellent and thorough scholarly study of the anti-communist resistance in Poland. But there are no memoir accounts included which IMO would help bring the historical facts to life. I would also like to have seen Prazmowska take a look into what part the US Office of Strategic Services (OSS—the precusor to the later CIA) played in organising and supporting the intelligence networks and resistance in Poland?
    Also Prazmowska does not look at what part the battle of the anti-communist resistance in Poland might have been intended to play in Gen. Anders strategic plan for Poles and Poland in WWIII which he thought the Soviets were likely to explode by 1949. Although Anders was totally convinced that WWIII was imminent, and discussed his views with US government numerous times, his plans for Polish forces in the event of WWIII have to my knowledge never been published despite Anders having mentioned Polish forces support to US should the war break out. It is also a little know fact that Anders tried to set up a 'Catholic' alliance with Franco's fascist Spain after WWII as Anders belived Spain would become the western front of the comming world war with the USSR. Franco agreed to let Anders run a Polish run anti-communist propaganda radio station out of Madrid but did not agree to Anders proposal on stationing Polish troops in Spain.

I bought a copy of Civil War in Poland for around half the normal US/UK price from a bookseller in india. I will see if I still have the sales invoice and let you have the details.

3mk
    ?

Thanks Skorpian,also dont mean to keep bothering you but are there any books about what the Poles were suppose to do after World War 2??I would certainly love to hear more.Maybe we should start a new thread about it?Where we can explain our views of it etc?

Hi Emil,

I think the simple answer would be Poles were supposed to return home after the war. But of course history has shown that for many in the Polish forces loyal to the Polish-government-in-exile this simply was not possible.

A great website that discusses the background to this vexed question is "To Return To Poland Or Not To Return" - The Dilemma Facing The Polish Armed Forces At The End Of The Second World War by Dr Mark Ostrowski

Here is the URL:History of the Polish Armed Forces 1939-1949

On his website Ostrowski hints at a potential mutiny by the Polish forces after Yalta and having done my own research at the National Archives, Kew, London on this issue; the British government were extremely worried about a Polish mutiny and the real possibilty of having a well armed and battle-hardened, Polish army marching its way up through Itlay into Europe and back to Poland to confront the Red Army and HMG went great lengths to prevent this from happening. Anders realised that a march into Poland from Italy was not logistically practicle given the Polish froces total dependency on HMG for fuel supply etc.

So Anders devised a plan to unite all his Polish forces as one in occupied Germany under the guise of relieving pressure on British occupational forces who could return back to UK. Churchill was for this plan, but the Foriegn Office totally opposed it (with good reason) as they saw the danger again of Anders mobilising his forces to push into Poland to confront the Red Army and possible spark WWIII so they made sure that under no circumstamces Anders could transfer his troops from Italy to Germany.

There is a book to be written about this story... one day

Quote by 3mk View Post
    Thanks Skorpian,also dont mean to keep bothering you but are there any books about what the Poles were suppose to do after World War 2??I would certainly love to hear more.Maybe we should start a new thread about it?Where we can explain our views of it etc?

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    . . . There is a book to be written about this story... one day
    While not specifically devoted to discussion of Anders’ post WW2 military designs, this book does provide much interesting detail into the process of the dissolution of the Polish armed forces in the west.

The Abandoned Legion by Michael Hope
    Published in 2005, Veritas Foundation Publication Centre (London)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Books   Books  

?

I met Michael Hope 10 years ago, when he was researching the Polish Resettlement Corp.
    Was a very interesting evening of quite varied subjects !

Another of his books through Veritas :

"Polish Deportees in the Soviet union"

IBSN 0 948202 76 9

Gary J>

I know its moving slightly off topic, but for those interested in General Anders post-war plans for Polish forces and his views about WWIII against the Soviets I have attached the first two pages of a secret US government memorandum from a meeting with Anders and the Americin Consul in London May, 1948 which makes for interesting reading. As far as I know this document has not been published anywhere else before?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Books   Books  

?

Very interesting document. I had heard from various veterans that many Jews who had gotten out of Russia with them in the Second Corps formation in Russia, had deserted in Palestine, but didnt realize the number was so large as 3,000 to 4,000. A difficult and complex subject the relationship between Polish Christians and Jews.
    It is also interesting to see how Americans always deride the English for appeasing Hitler, when the Americans did much the same with Stalin, giving him all he asked for in hopes of keeping him content. It is quite surprising how he literally got away with murder.

Anders empathised with the plight (and fight) of the Jews and their own struggle to live in freedom in a land they could call their own. In fact Anders openly obstructed the British in Palestine whenever he was asked to order the Sceond Corps help the British authorities trace those Jews that went AWOL from the Second Corps. The Second Corps was actively involved in helping smuggle Jews out of Europe into Palestine after the war, and the Jewish Brigade and Irgun helped smuggle Polish families into Itlay in return. As you say a complicated story.

I have another OSS secret document sent to the US President regarding Anders which perpetuates the lie that Katyn was a German crime. This document is dated 1948! What is interesting to me is why and what purpose did the OSS have in maintaining this lie to the President of the day? Did the US not know (by 1948) that Katyn was a Soviet crime?

Quote by dorava View Post
    Very interesting document. I had heard from various veterans that many Jews who had gotten out of Russia with them in the Second Corps formation in Russia, had deserted in Palestine, but didnt realize the number was so large as 3,000 to 4,000. A difficult and complex subject the relationship between Polish Christians and Jews.
    It is also interesting to see how Americans always deride the English for appeasing Hitler, when the Americans did much the same with Stalin, giving him all he asked for in hopes of keeping him content. It is quite surprising how he literally got away with murder.

?

I dont know about the OSS, but as you know..both the English and the US govts were HEAVILY infiltrated with communist sympathisers. One of Churchills most trusted military aides was one, that kept putting stumbling blocks in the way of the Polish govt in Exile. And the US State Dept was full of them. Maybe they were trying to keep the Soviets nose clean, because by 48 it was pretty common knowledge..so much so that at the Nurenberg Trials(45 to 46) the allies actively worked against the Poles to keep the subject of Katyn off the agenda so as not to embarrass their new friends. If they thought it was done by the Germans they would have defintely brought it up.

Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast