Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Books

Article about: Hi all, My partial reference book list which I have limited to English language editions only. It is a mix of out-of-print and more recent — Cazalet, V.A., With Sikorski to Russia, Lon

?

Default Two war time publications for Poles in England

A brochure to help orientate the newly arrived Poles and a treatise on Bolshevism.....I believe.

Piwo

BooksBooksBooksBooksBooksBooks

?

Default PAF Music

So I found another piece of sheet music to share.

Cheers,

Piwo

[ATTACH=CONFIG]648636
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Books  

?

Default PAF Photo Album

Here is a wonderful example of trench art along with wartime photo's along with chalk colored caricatures of the Polish Airman.

Both Lynne Olson & Stanley Cloud authors of A Question of Honor: The Kosciuszko Squadron: Forgotten Heroes of World War II saw my album and identified the artist........sadly I have forgotten his name but his illustrations and drawings are in the multiple volume diary of the 303 Squadron.

Sadly, the black album paper is terribly destructive for the photos. So I will need to remove them to preserve them. I have contacted an archivist as to how best to preserve the chalk drawings. After I free the rest of the photos I will post them.

Enjoy,
    Piwo

BooksBooksBooksBooksBooks

Why do you say the black cartridge paper is destructive of the photos? surely removing the photos will damage both the photos and the pastel drawings on the album pages? Maybe all that is needed is the pages to be interleaved with tissue to protect both photos and drawings?
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

It is my understanding that the wartime paper is very acidic and will accelerate decomposition. Floating the photos off the pages will not hurt them....provided the glue releases. Photographic prints are washed in water after printing then dried in hot surfaces. The chalk drawings will need to be stored in between 100% cotton paper in archival cases.
    We all need to look into archivaly preserving our collections.
    While framing is nice for display...ulra-violet sun rays destroys paper and ink so we all need to look at what is best to protect these treasures. Maybe framing high qulaity color and BW copies would be a start. Not subjecting the originals to daylight would be a great start.

Would be interested to see the results of your chosen method of preservation once the photos have been removed from the pages.

Assuming water based adhesive was used to afix the photos to the cartridge paper sheets I cannot imagine that the backing black paper will not also absorb some of the water in removal of the photos and consequently distort and not dry flat, it might also affect the pastels used to create the drawings. Even leaving paper out in a humid atmosphere can cause it to absorb moisture and crinkle up. Best of luck, though.

I collect photos of Poland WWII and have removed hundreds of prints from old album pages using the method you describe to lift them and then drying them in an old fashioned photo print drying frame that I had. But I have only chosen this method when I had no use for the backing pages themselves and they were not important to preserving that particular photo group. The process normally requires a lot of soaking to remove the adhesive.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

[QUOTE=Piwo2;1120620]So I found another piece of sheet music to share.

Cheers,

Piwo

Curious image of a North American B-25 in Polish Air Force markings on the score's cover.

Did any Polish squadrons fly B-25's, is there a connection or reason for this specific image?

Chris....

?

Quote by StefanM View Post
    Would be interested to see the results of your chosen method of preservation once the photos have been removed from the pages.

Assuming water based adhesive was used to afix the photos to the cartridge paper sheets I cannot imagine that the backing black paper will not also absorb some of the water in removal of the photos and consequently distort and not dry flat, it might also affect the pastels used to create the drawings. Even leaving paper out in a humid atmosphere can cause it to absorb moisture and crinkle up. Best of luck, though.

I collect photos of Poland WWII and have removed hundreds of prints from old album pages using the method you describe to lift them and then drying them in an old fashioned photo print drying frame that I had. But I have only chosen this method when I had no use for the backing pages themselves and they were not important to preserving that particular photo group. The process normally requires a lot of soaking to remove the adhesive.
    I will not take any action until I have the recommendations of a qualified archivist. Fortunately for me ,in Cleveland, Ohio there is an inter-museum archival service who will review and if you will perform these services...for a price. Archiving like medicine first rule....do no harm.
    thanks for your input.
    Piwo

Hi Chris,

In answer to your question B-24's (III, V, VI, Variants) where flown by 1586 Special Operations Flight (made up from 300 Squadron Personnel), they dropped Supplies to the Home Army during the Warsaw Uprising and flew other missions to occupied Poland.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

?

[QUOTE=ChrisW01;1120682]
    Quote by Piwo2 View Post
    So I found another piece of sheet music to share.

Cheers,

Piwo

Curious image of a North American B-25 in Polish Air Force markings on the score's cover.

Did any Polish squadrons fly B-25's, is there a connection or reason for this specific image?

Chris....

Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast