Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 56 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast

British Awards for Polish Soldiers

Article about: Hi guys. I want to discuss with you one qestion. This is about british awards for polish soldiers. In my opinion, polish soldier can get for service following british awards: 1939/45 Star At

Hello Nicholas,

Many thanks for your post, from what I can remember of the telephone conversation with the seller at the time over 20 years ago, the VM was numbered 8992. From what I can remember it had the Cross of Valour also DFC and his British campaign stars and medals, has I said I did not buy it so I did not take that much interest in it at the time, if only I had.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello Everyone,

Another Face of a recipient of 2 British Awards this time the D.F.C. & D.F.M. and the Virtuti Militari Gold Cross Numbered 31 and Silver Cross Numbered 9065 to Choraxy (Warrant Officer) 780172 Stanislaw Klosowski 301 Squadron.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello Again Everyone,

Can anyone please identify the pilot in the photograph shown below, I believe him to be Starszy Sierzant pil. 780152 Jan Bakancz VM Silver Cross Numbered 8225 KW D.F.C. flew in 300, 301, 304, & 138 Squadron's.

Any help would be appreciated

Best wishes

Andrzej

?

Yes, this is definitely Jan Bakanacz.
    See his photo on this webpage: Lista Krzystka » Bakanacz Jan
    Regards,
    Greg

Hi Greg, thanks for the ID I've posted a screen shot here just in case that link dies.

Cheers,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Awards for Polish Soldiers  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hello Greg & Tony,

Many thanks for the confirmation.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello Everyone,

A few more photographs to show, but first the only Polish Air Force recipient of the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal (Flying)

Sierzant 781051 Józef Piałucha 1586 Flight photograph and photograph of his headstone

Now for a few more photographs taken on the 15th December 1940 at RAF Leconfield, the ceremony the first D.F.C.'s awarded to members of the Polish Air Force serving in the UK.

Air Marshal Sholto Douglas inspecting Officers from 303 Squadron

Miroslaw Feric shaking hands with Air Marshal Sholto Douglas after receiving the DFC

Urbanowicz Henneberg Zumbach Feric after receing their D.F.C.'s

Miroslaw Henneberg shaking hands with Air Marshal Sholto Douglas after receiving his D.F.C.

Best wishes

Andrzej
    Last edited by andrzejku98; 09-04-2016 at 03:31 PM.

Hello Everyone,

I decided that too mark my 1,000 post I would like to share with you another investiture photograph, what's new with that I hear you say, well the Person receiving the D.F.C. is 10 Months Old.

RAF Grangemouth 21st September 1942 Marian Edward Belc 10 months old being held by his mother receives his late father's D.F.C.

I sincerely hope that you approve of my choice

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello Everyone,

The following photograph found on the internet taken on the night of 20th November 1943 in the White Eagle club in Balham a farewell party for Flight Sergeant Bronislaw Godlewski 305 Squadron who was returning home to Chicago unfit for service.

He was a US Citizen who volunteered for service with the Polish Forces in the UK, he underwent training and then was posted to 305 Bomber Squadron as a Tailend Charlie (Rear Gunner) when on the night of the 5th March 1943 on a raid over Essen his turret was hit by 138 bullets from a night fighter. The Crew made it home to England where Godlewski lost both arms.

For his bravery he was awarded the following awards :

Polish : Virtuti Militari Silver Cross Numbered 8352, Cross of Valour and Bar Legit Nr : 384, Wound Ribbon with 1 Star.

British : Distinguished Flying Medal, Air Force Medal

USA : Distinguished Flying Cross, Purple Heart.

Born in Chicago on the 7th January 1924 he died in Florida on the 12th June 1989.

Even with the loss of both arms he applied for a Navigators course, but was unfortunately turned down.

Photograph the morning after the raid on Essen Godlewski's turret

Godlewski at the White Eagle Club in Balham

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello Everyone,

I came across the following photograph on the internet, taken on the 17th November 1943 at RAF Northolt after an investiture the photograph shows Miss Elizabeth Helen Bulimore of Chuckfield, Sussex admiring her fiances D.S.O. Her fiancé and later Husband is Wing Commander Aleksander Gabszewicz.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Page 4 of 56 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast