Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 11 of 56 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast

British Awards for Polish Soldiers

Article about: Hi guys. I want to discuss with you one qestion. This is about british awards for polish soldiers. In my opinion, polish soldier can get for service following british awards: 1939/45 Star At

Hello Everyone,

Another British Award Recommendation this time for the Distinguished Flying Cross awarded to an Observer (Air Navigator) :

Wartime photograph

Porucznik (Flying Officer) 76627 Mariusz Marcin Wodzicki, Born on the 12th May 1915 in Częstochowa.

Pre war photograph.

" After completing 25 bombing sorties, this officer was selected as captain-navigator for difficult long distance operations. He has captained his aircraft on eight of these flights, each of which involved flying exceptionally long distance over heavily defended territory. Flying Officer Wodzicki is a brilliant Navigator whose entire energies are devoted to attaining success. His flights to Poland have not only entailed flying just within the limit of his petrol consumption, but have also necessitated flying for part of the journey in daylight".

Recommendation drafted 11th April 1942 when he had flown 32 sorties (236 Operational Flying Hours).

Award approved 25th August 1942.

On the 30th October 1942 he was again in the air on another sortie this time to Norway, there was another D.F.C. Holder F/O (Por.) Franciszek Pantkowski who was the wireless operator. He had received his D.F.C. from Air Vice Marshal Robert Dickinson Oxland O/C. No : 1 Group on the 5th October 1942.

On the Night of 29th/30th October 1942, they where taking 3 Silent and Unseen members to be dropped into Poland over the target they could not find the drop zone so decided to turn back to England. Over Denmark the aircraft was damaged and the Pilot decided to try and ditch in Norway, which they reached but crashed killing all on board the aircraft.

Seasons Greetings

Andrzej

Seasons Greetings to Everyone,

I cam across the following whilst surfing the other week and thought that I would share it with you all :

St.Sierz. 782016 Pilot Franciszek Zaremba, was born on the 28th October 1914 in Grudziądz, he was the Pilot of the plane that crashed in Norway on the 30th October 1942.

Wartime photograph of Franciszek Zaremba.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Seasons Greetings to one and all,

I came across the following Mention in Despatches Certificate this week whilst surfing the internet, which I thought I would share with you all.

Nothing out of the ordinary with that I hear you say but on closer inspection the Date 15th April 1948 was the give away.

Born on the 13th July 1901 Wincenty Ryncarz was a Group Leader of the Polish Resistence Movement in France, these groups after D-Day on orders from London attacked the german infrastructure within France attacking Units and cutting power and telecommunication lines that the germans needed. It was during one of these attacks that Sierzant Wincenty Ryncarz was killed code named "Maczuga" he was posthumously awarded the silver Cross of the Order Virtuti Militari Numbered : 11070.

Whilst looking for information on his birth and death, I found that the PISM Book listing all those killed in the Polish Forces in the West had him listed as Podporucznik (2nd Lieutenant).

No doubt after nearly 4 years after the event at least he received recognition for his courage and leadership.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello Everyone,

Whilst working on a Project I came across the following Recommendation for the British Military Cross awarded to Kapitan Władysław Drelicharz, OC 2nd Squadron 4th Armoured Regiment (also awarded the Virtuti Militari Gold Cross Numbered : 73 and Silver Cross Numbered : 8800, Krzyż Walecznych (Cross of Valour) and Bar.

Citation reads as follows :

"On 19th August 1944 Captain Drelicharz was commanding a Squadron of the 4th Armoured Regiment, which was taking part in the attack on the river Metauro positions. Due to his courageous leadership and his skilful handling of his tanks his squadron was able to capture intact a number of enemy self propelled guns, some of them still in running order and to make a successful attack on Hill 171, where he consolidated his squadron and successfully beat off enemy counter attack without giving ground."

Recommendation was by Lt. General W. Anders C.B. Commanding 2nd Polish Corps

It was approved by Lt. General R L McCreery, General Officer Commanding Eighth Army.

Dated 19th December 1944, passed by Army on the 30th December 1944.

Awarded the Military Cross

The Citation was written a month after he had been killed in action on the 21st November 1944.

Seasons Greetings

Andrzej

p.s. When searching on the internet even on Wikipedia there is no mention of his award of the Military Cross, the only place I could find a mention was in the Regimental History and the Archives.

Hello Everyone,

J found the following photographs over the Christmas period and I thought that I would share them with you :

Photograph of Squadron Leader Antoni Głowacki VM KW x 4 BKZ ML DFC DFM etc.

Awards of Kpt pil Antoni Głowacki, held by the PISM in London.

Portrait of Antoni Głowacki in later life.

You will also notice that the British 1939-1945 Star is missing the Battle of Britain Bar and that his French Medals are also missing.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello Everyone,

Whilst surfing this evening I came across the following photograph taken by the Army Museum in Warszawa (Warsaw) of the British award presented to General Brygady Obs. Stanisław Ujejski.

Buckingham Palace 1941, leaving the Palace after receiving the award Honorary Knight Commander of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath

General Ujejski's KCB.

Best wishes

Andrzej

?

Hello andrzejku98.

Very interesting thread.

I am looking for Jan Antoni Zajac biografical data (photo, date of birth, death, etc).
    He graduate in 1939 Anti Aircraft Artillery Officers Cadet School in Trauguttowo near Brzesc on the Bug.
    He was posted to 1 Anti Aircraft Artillery Regiment in Warsaw and fought in defence of Warsaw in 1939.
    He evaded capture and made his way to France and then to the UK.
    In 1944 he served in 8 Anti Aircraft Artillery Regiment in 2 Polish Corps (Italy, 2 battery).
    I found him on the list of 8 AAAR soldiers with id 1920/48/III.
    He was awarded Monte Cassino Cross no 36 600.

I will be greatfull for any information.

Regards
    stifz

Hello Stifz,

Many thanks for your post re the son of General Józef Ludwik Zając, Podporucznik (2nd Lieutenant) Jan Antoni Zając, Born in 1920 his mother was Janiną Szymański, he also had a sister Barbarę. Unfortunately I could not find any further information on the Generals son, the only 2 that I was able to find lived in the USA John A Zając born in 1920 died in Conneticut in 1992 and another John A Zając died also in 1992 in Fort Worth, Texas.

I could not find any further information on the Generals son.

Best wishes

Andrzej

?

Than You Andrzeju for Your answer.

Is there any information about his relativs (children, wife, sister etc.)?
    I will try to look in gen. Zajac diary ("Dwie wojny" i "W Szkocji i na Środkowym Wschodzie").
    Maybe father wrote something about his son.

Regards
    stifz

RMD
    ?

Great thread!

..... Spent quite a bit of time here, going though all of the information and photos. Thanks' to all who contributed

Page 11 of 56 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast