Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

A British Cavalry Regiment still wears the Maid of Warsaw

Article about: Folks I thought you would be interested in this post on the website of the Queens Royal Hussars. Every member of the regiment wears the Maid of Warsaw, the crest of the City of Warsaw, on th

Default A British Cavalry Regiment still wears the Maid of Warsaw

Folks

I thought you would be interested in this post on the website of the Queens Royal Hussars. Every member of the regiment wears
    the Maid of Warsaw, the crest of the City of Warsaw, on the left sleeve of his No. 2 (Service) Dress. Traditionally the original crest presented to the regiment is placed in front of the Commanding Officer on Dinner Nights. Attached are Photos of the picture of Anders and the letter that still hang in Regimental Head Quarters plus a recent picture of soldiers of the Queens Royal Hussars on parade with the Maid clearly visible.

The Queens Own Hussars are made up of an amalgamation of the 3rd, 4th, 7th and 8th Hussars.

The Queen's Royal Hussars Museum added 2 new photos.
    29 Feb 2016 · Paderborn, Germany
    On the 10th Oct 1944 the Commander in Chief Polish Army in the East, Commander 2 Polish Corps, wrote to the Commanding Officer of the 7th Hussars.
    The letter is now framed and hangs opposite the RSMs Office in Regimental Headquarters of The Queen's Royal Hussars along with a framed picture of Lt General Władysław Albert Anders.
    This is the reason why the Regiment wears the Maid of Warsaw on the left sleeve of their service dress. Below is the transcript of the letter:

With approval of Lt General Sir Oliver Leese, Commander 8th Army, My Corps Order No. 117 date 9 October 1944 confers on Regiment authority of the wearing of the Polish Corps Sign in commemoration of your Regiments distinguished service shoulder to shoulder with 2 Polish Corps.
    In accordance with your wishes I shall forward two plaques, as soon as they are completed, to be placed in both the Officers and Sjts Messes.

I once more wish to thank you most fervently for the magnificent work of your Regiment. From June to August 1944 you played your part in the Battles on the Adriatic coast in an exemplarily manner true to the highest traditions of your fine Regiment and the British Army.

Your work and cooperation in many operations notably those for M. TORTO, M. la CROGE, MONTERADO and CERASO will live as a fine example of heroism and successful action under difficult and trying circumstances.
    Signed:
    Lt General Władysław Albert Anders

Help keep our history alive, support the Queen's Royal Hussars (The Queen's Own & Royal Irish) Museum project.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A British Cavalry Regiment still wears the Maid of Warsaw   A British Cavalry Regiment still wears the Maid of Warsaw  

Attached Images Attached Images A British Cavalry Regiment still wears the Maid of Warsaw