Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Camo shelters or capes used by the Polish 2nd Corps during Monte Cassino battle

Article about: Hello, I saw a pictures of Polish soldiers during battle of Monte Cassino used camo capes, poncho or shelter, few years ago. Finally I have to try to find out the facts. Judging by wartime p

Default Camo shelters or capes used by the Polish 2nd Corps during Monte Cassino battle

Hello,
    I saw a pictures of Polish soldiers during battle of Monte Cassino used camo capes, poncho or shelter, few years ago. Finally I have to try to find out the facts. Judging by wartime photos, it seems to me that this is a Italian M29 shelter. Poles issued already existing stocks of Italian material? Is this possible? For sure this is not a British camo rain capes or No.2 camouflaged jerkin leather. Any ideas or suggestions? Well- know historian Zbigniew Wawer, specializing in Polish military history in World War 2, also author of 'Monte Cassino' book, mentioned in the book that Poles after made reconnaissance(5 KDP area) before the battle, realized that they need to prepare themselves well for challenging terrain, so for these reasons, amongst others, they have to decided to use camo equipment. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. Please find attached photos:

1. Wounded soldiers of the 2nd 'Carpathian' Rifle Battalion.
    2. Position of the 4th 'Carpathian' Rifle Battalion on the hill 593.
    3. Officer of the 2nd 'Carpathian' Rifle Brigade.

Thank you.

Kind Regards
    Alex
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Camo shelters or capes used by the Polish 2nd Corps during Monte Cassino battle   Camo shelters or capes used by the Polish 2nd Corps during Monte Cassino battle  

sure looks Italian issue.

A better image of the Italian camo pattern. This is a pouch made from camo fabric that belonged to Polish 2nd Corps soldier Lance Corporal Alfred Hawrylkowicz.

Turned inside out:

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

A lovely example of a field made pouch Tony thanks for posting it.

Regards Mark

Nice named camo pouch, Tony thank you for posting this!
    Regards
    Alex

This is my WW2 Italian M29 camouflage material, Unfortunately without provenance, maybe worth posting here. Please find colour and b&w photos. Thank you

Regards
    Alex
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Camo shelters or capes used by the Polish 2nd Corps during Monte Cassino battle   Camo shelters or capes used by the Polish 2nd Corps during Monte Cassino battle  

?

Regardless of provanance it is a nice M 29 camo shelter 1/4 and would make a wonderful addition to the collection .

Regards Mark

Mark, thank you kindly for your comment!

Regards
    Alex