Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Canadian BD in PSZ

Article about: Whether Canadian Battle dress was often met in PSZ?. I heard that it was in wanted for its own more nice look than british pattern 1940.

?

Default Canadian BD in PSZ

Whether Canadian Battle dress was often met in PSZ?. I heard that it was in wanted for its own more nice look than british pattern 1940.

Hello,
    I will only answer about the 1rst pol arm div.
    The canadian was rarely used, very rarely.
    But I have two battledresses, made in Canada, for a captain of the HQ and a private of the 10th PSK.
    A veteran of the 24th Lancers, Mister Zbigniew Skolimowski, officier in the HQ companies a tthe end of the War, told me that some officers appreciated a lot the canadian pattern.
    A canadian tunic for Major Jan Marowski, from 24th Lancers, to the Museum of the Army, from Paris, is a canadian made...
    But definitively, the british pattern was really ofen used.
    Best regards.
    ZP

Hi Tomek,

Yes, the Canadian made BD blouse was generally preferred to the British equivalent primarily because it was not subject to the wartime material restrictions of its UK counterpart. In 1942 the British introduced the P40 Austerity pattern, which cut back on fabric usage resulting in exposed buttons and a slimmer fit. The Canadian made BD retained the button fly and the pocket buttons also remained covered, similar to the 1937 pattern BD in use before the austerity pattern became standard issue. The wool used in the Canadian production was a darker green, which may also have been preferred as an additional characteristic that made the more deluxe Canadian BD stand out that much more from the common P40.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Thank you Ze-pole and Tony !