Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Cichociemni (Polish SOE)

Article about: Dear members, I just joined, my name is Gianluca Vernole, I write from Casamassima, a town in Puglia, Italy. My country holds the oldest military cemetery of the 2nd Polish Corps for 5 years

Default Re: Cichociemni (Polish SOE)

Cichociemni (Polish for Silentdark) were a secret unit of the Polish Army in exile created to maintain contact with occupied Poland during World War II.

Initially the name was informal and used only by the soldiers who volunteered to be dropped over Poland. However, since September 1941 it became official and was used in all official documents ever since. It is used both for the secret training detachment of the Polish Headquarters created to provide the agents with necessary knowledge, money and equipment, as well as for all the agents that were transported to Poland and other German-occupied countries.

On December 30, 1939 Captain Jan Gorski, a Polish Army officer who managed to escape to France after the Polish Defensive War of 1939, prepared a report for the Polish Chief of Staff in which he proposed the creation of a secret unit maintaining contact with the ZWZ by a group of well-trained envoys. The report was initially ignored, so Górski repeated it several times. Finally commander of the Polish air forces, General Zajac, replied that although creation of such a unit would be a good move, the Polish Airforce had no means of transport and no training facilities for such an unit to be created.

However, Gorski together with his colleague Maciej Kalenkiewicz continued to study the possibilities of paratroopers and special forces. After the capitulation of France they managed to get to the United Kingdom. They studied the documents on German paratroopers and prepared a plan of recreation of Polish Airforce in exile as a military unit specialized in covert operations support. According to their plan the airforce was to be prepared solely for the purpose of aiding the future uprising in occupied Poland. Their plan was never accepted, but on September 20, 1940, the Polish commander-in-chief, General Wl‚adysl‚aw Sikorski ordered the creation of the 3rd Detachment of the Polish General Staff (OddziaÅ‚ III Sztabu Naczelnego Wodza). The purpose of the newly-established unit was theoretical preparation of covert operations in Poland, arms and supplies' delivery by air and - last but not least - training of the paratroopers.

Training
    The 3rd Detachment started to accept volunteers soon afterwards. Those who were chosen left their units silently and at night - hence the name, Cichociemni. Among 2,413 candidates, only 605 managed to finish the training and passed all the exams. 579 of them qualified forthe airlift. Among the volunteers were:
    * 1 general
    * 112 staff officers
    * 894 officers
    * 592 NCOs
    * 771 privates
    * 15 women
    * 28 civilian envoys of the Polish government in exile

The training prepared by the Polish 6th Detachment of the General Staff (Oddział VI Sztabu Naczelnego Wodza) and the British Special Operations Executive consisted of five parts:
    * preparation and physical training (kurs zaprawowy)
    * psychological and technical research (kurs badań psychotechnicznych)
    * parachute training (kurs spadochronowy)
    * conspiration, covert operations and partisan warfare (kurs walki konspiracyjnej)
    * final course (kurs odprawowy)

During the first phase of the training all the volunteers were taught to use all weapons (including British, Polish, German, Russian and Italian) and mines. Additional courses were organized on which the soldiers were trained in basic covert operations, topography, cryptography, and sharpshooting. They were also taught all the details of life in occupied Poland, from the laws imposed by the Germans to the fashion popular in Warsaw under occupation. The fourth course included all sorts of covert operations, jiu-jitsu, and shooting at invisible targets,

The final course included learning of a new, false identity. All the soldiers who passed the training were sworn in as members of the Armia Krajowa.

Air bridges
    The first air bridge was organized on February 16, 1941. The Allied air commands carried out 483 air bridges altogether, losing 68 planes to air crashes and enemy fire. Apart from the Cichociemni themselves, approximately 630 tonnes of war material were delivered in special containers. In addition, the agents delivered the following amounts of money to the Armia Krajowa:
    * 40 869 800 forged Polish zloty
    * 26 299 375 dollars in banknotes and golden coins
    * 1 755 pounds in golden coins
    * 3 578 000 German marksUntil December 27, 1944 an overall total of 316 soldiers and 28 envoys were successfully paradropped over Poland. Additional 17 agents were dropped over Albania, France, Greece, Italy and Yugoslavia. Anunknown number of Poles were also dropped over France by the SOE to start an underground movement among the half-a-million strong Polish minority (among them the best known was Krystyna Skarbek). Although the unit was organized in collaboration with SOE, it was largely independent. The Polish section of the SOE was the only one which chose its own men freely and operated its own radio communication with an occupied country. Also, the identities of the Polish agents were known to the Polish General Staff only.

Among those transported to Poland were soldiers of all grades. The oldest of them was 54 years old, the youngest was 20. As a rule, all volunteers were promoted one rank upwards at the moment of their jump.

The fight
    In Poland the Cichociemni were transferred mostly to various special units of the ZWZ and AK. Most of them joined Wachlarz, Związek Odwetu and KeDyw. Many became important staff officers of the Polish Secret Army and took part in the Operation Tempest and the Uprisings in Wilno, Lwów and Warsaw.

The cichociemni took over various duties in occupied country:
    * 37 started working for the intelligence
    * 50 were radio operators and envoys
    * 24 were staff officers
    * 22 were airmen and airdrop coordinators
    * 11 were instructors of armoured forces and professors of anti-tank warfare in secret military schools
    * 3 were trained in forging documents
    * 169 were trained in covert operations, diversion and partisan warfare
    * 28 were envoys of the Polish government

Quote by 3mk View Post
    I cant wait Mariusz!

1 question,When the Cichociemni were parachuted into Poland were they wearing there Battledress with all the Exile insignia under there parachute gear or civilian clothes?
    Thanks
    They cold not where or bring any thing that would connect them to England like Para badge.
    I will post more later if I get same time

Here is equipment list in Polish, and have translated to English thanks to Google translate, i know maybe it is not the best translation, so maybe if someone who reads polish will have time to correct.

"SZTAB NACZELNEGO WODZA
    Oddział Specjalny
    L.dz. 2525/tjn. 43
    Londyn, dnia 1.VI. 1943r.
    Ściśle Tajne!
    Nr ewid. 01
    INSTRUKCJA
    DLA ŻOŁNIERZY PRZERZUCANYCH DROGĄ LONICZĄ DO
    KRAJU

"Staff-in-Chief
    Special Branch
    L.dz. 2525/tjn. 43
    London, 1.VI. 1943.

Top Secret!
    No ewid. 01

INSTRUCTIONS
    FOR SOLDIERS SMUGGLET BY THE AIR TO THE
    COUNTRY

I. The secret of flight

A. Within the UK

Without exception, all activities related to the flight to the country are military secrecy. Absolute respect for this mystery is a prerequisite for the success of the same flights, and a whole country shares in the air, as well as the only way to protect your family from victimization jumper.
    There is evidence that German intelligence continually tries to get the messages associated with the liaison flights. Therefore, divers are required to respect the following principles:
    Maintenance until the end of the war secrecy about how the training, deployment stacyj wyszkoleniowych, names of instructors and learners of all courses and news related to future work in the country.
    Do not take any orders from anyone for the country, except for business provided by the Division of Special Staff, by command of Chief of 5.VIII.1942 of which reads:
    "Chief of Staff Department N.W. provide:
    - Instruction and the commitment of candidates for the country to comply with the prohibition of taking mail orders relative to any oral or written from people outside of the staff of the Special Branch Staff SW, designated for clearance of soldiers going to the Land and the connecting MS Ext. for political couriers ...
    - Isolation of candidates powołancyh course odprawowy, especially staying at the station waiting from any dealings with outsiders'
    The elimination of the end of the course odprawowego any personal relations and personal correspondence.
    Do not carry out any private tranzakcyj received severance pay as in Britain, and after arriving in country. Odprawowe money is intended to cover maintenance costs in the country and issue them prior to departure is an abuse of the service.
    Before departure, each soldier signs a commitment reads as follows:

DECLARATION

I, the undersigned (surname and forename degree )..............................
    I undertake to honor that by the end of the war:
    Keep total secrecy as to the route, which was passed to the country, and as to the nature of my work. Confidentiality applies equally to all my organs in the Land Army, with the exception of answers to questions addressed to me by way of business.
    I will not be abused alkoholou, especially in public premises.
    I will not lead to any active political action.
    Dotczący allocation order will do no zastrzerzeń, selecting only the allocation in the case of turning me the right to choose by my superiors.
    My relationship with the family makes the instructions given to me by the Army. Under no circumstances I will seek to establish relationships with your family without the authority of the Home Army.
    Apart from this I declare that I do not take with him any articles or documents not disclosed odprawiającym me Catalogs officers. Spec. Staff. N.W.
    Signature

B. On the Polish territory

I give to extract messages from the letter of Commander of Army L.dz. 4133, concerning the working conditions underground in Poland:
    "... A necessary, however, is that you were sent to us, not only those who have the courage to jump, but among them, who are able to adapt to very difficult conditions of our conspiracy. Until now, people are the type to send the most difficult naginający to local conditions, breaks out of control, rather arbitrarily, and talkative. Need an average of 4-6 weeks for a major effort to control and mitigate them. Need you to them before departure, thoroughly taught the principles of secrecy and security conditions in the country and you commit them to secrecy on the life of the military and political relations abroad, and relations with the Allies. Everyone wants to see them as men of high personal values, wyskoim sense sycypliny military coming to endow us in the fight, and not emissaries of the local chatter and gossip. "

I. Tajemnica lotu

A. Na terenie W. Brytanii

Wszystkie bez wyjątku czynności związane z lotem do Kraju są ścisłą tajemnicą wojskową. Bezwzględne przestrzeganie tej tajemnicy jest podstawowym warunkiem powodzenia samych lotów oraz całości akcji lotniczej w Kraju, jak również jedynym sposobem zabezpieczenia przed represjami rodziny skoczka.
    Istnieją dowody, że wywiad niemiecki stale usiłuje zdobyć wiadomości związane z lotami łącznikowymi. W związku z tym skoczkowie zobowiązani są do przestrzegania następujących zasad:
    1.Utrzymanie do końca wojny ścisłej tajemnicy odnośnie sposobów szkolenia, rozmieszczenia stacyj wyszkoleniowych, nazwisk instruktorów i słuchaczy kursów oraz wszelkich wiadomości, związanych z przyszłą pracą w Kraju.
    2.Nie przyjmowanie od nikogo żadnych zleceń do Kraju, za wyjątkiem udzielonych służbowo przez Oddział Specjalny Sztabu, zgodnie z rozkazem Naczelnego Wodza z dnia 5.VIII.1942 r., który brzmi:
    »Szef Oddziału Sztabu N.W. zapewni:
    - pouczenie i zobowiązanie kandydatów do Kraju do przestrzegania zakazu przyjmowania poczty względnie jakichkolwiek zleceń ustnych czy pisemnych pochodzących od osób z poza personelu Oddziału Specjalnego Sztabu N.W., wyznaczonego dla odprawy żołnierzy udających się do Kraju i łącznika M.S. Wewn. odnośnie kurierów politycznych...
    - izolację kandydatów powołancyh na kurs odprawowy, a szczególnie przebywających na stacji wyczekiwania, od wszelkich kontaktów z osobami postronnymi «
    3.Zlikwidowanie do końca kursu odprawowego wszelkich stosunków osobistych i korespondencji prywatnej.
    4.Nie przeprowadzania prywatnie żadnych tranzakcyj otrzymaną odprawą pieniężną tak w W. Brytanii, jak i po przyjeździe do Kraju. Pieniądze odprawowe przeznaczone są wyłącznie na koszty utrzymania w Kraju i wydawanie ich przed odlotem jest naduzyciem służbowym.
    5.Przed odlotem każdy żołnierz podpisuje zobowiązanie następującej treści:
    »M.p., dnia.....194...
    D E K L A R A C J A
    Ja niżej podpisany (stopień nazwisko i imię)..............................
    zobowiązuję się słowem honoru, że do końca wojny:
    1.Zachowam całkowitą tajemnicę co do drogi, jaką przerzucony zostałem do Kraju, i co do charakteru mojej pracy. Zachowanie tajemnicy obowiązuje mnie również wobec wszystkich organów Armii w Kraju, za wyjątkiem odpowiedzi na zapytania skierowane do mnie w drodze służbowej.
    2.Nie będę nadużywał alkoholou, szczególnie w lokalach publicznych.
    3.Nie będę prowadził żadnej czynnej akcji politycznej.
    4.Rozkaz dotczący przydziału wykonam bez zastrzerzeń, wybierając przydział jedynie w wypadku dania mi prawa wyboru przez moich przełożonych.
    5.Moje stosunki z rodziną uzależnię od wskazówek udzielonych mi przez władze Armii Krajowej. W żadnym wypadku nie będę starał się nawiązywać stosunków z rodziną z pominięciem władz Armii Krajowej.
    Prócz tego oświadczam, że nie biorę ze sobą żadnych przedmiotów lub pism nie ujawnionych odprawiającym mnie oficerom Oddz. Spec. Sztabu. N.W.
    Podpis.«

B. Na terenie Polski

Podaję się do wiadomości wyciąg z pisma Dowódcy Armii Krajowej L.dz. 4133, dotyczący warunków pracy konspiracyjnej w Kraju:
    »...Koniecznym jednak jest, byście przysyłali do nas nie tylko tych, którzy mają odwagę skoczyć, lecz z pośród nich, którzy potrafią się dostosować do bardzo trudnych warunków naszej konspiracji. Do tej pory przysyłani ludzie stanowią typ w większości bardzo trudno naginający się do tutejszych wymogów, wyłamują się spod kontroli, dość samowolni i gadatliwi. Trzeba przeciętnie 4-6 tygodni dużego wysiłku by ich opanować i utemperować. Trzeba, byście ich przed odlotem gruntownie pouczali o zasadach konspiracji i warunkach bezpieczeństwa w Kraju oraz byście ich zobowiązali do zachowania tajemnicy z zakresu życia wojskowego i stosunków politycznych na emigracji i stosunków z Aliantami. Każdy chce widzieć w nich żołnierzy o wysokich wartościach osobistych, wyskoim poczuciu sycypliny wojskowej, przybywających do zasilenia nas w walce, nie zaś emisariuszy tamtejszego gadulstwa i plotkarstwa.«

II. SOE Equipment
    During equipment, you will be provided with personal equipment following items:
    -mufti
    -coat
    -shoes
    -wool sweater
    -hat
    -scarf
    -two shirts
    -two pairs of warm underwear
    -Three pairs of warm socks
    or three handkerchiefs
    -warm gloves
    -towel
    -folder in underwear
    -garters
    trouser-belt or harness
    ties-two
    -set of personal documents
    German-cigarettes
    -blade razors, of German origin
    Themselves must procure a set of necessary toiletries and cleaning kit clothing and shoes.
    Before coming to the station waiting, each jumper is cleared payment in dollars papierowychi gold and a number of German currency (Reichsmarki) and gold (Młynarki). Dollar check to pack, every soldier is a metal tin. German Młynarki money and be transported in portmonerce.
    Every soldier prepared to fly to the country is well on course following odprawowym parachute equipment:
    -suit
    -helmet with glasses
    or two elastic bandages on ankle
    or two rubber inserts for shoes
    -two automatic pistols
    -ammunition for pistols (50 pieces per gun)
    or two spare magazines
    folding-knife
    -shoulder
    -Flashlight with spare battery
    -compass
    -flat bottle of alcohol
    -kit
    -cloth impregnated with rubber, to carry bags for weapons and ammunition.
    In addition to the above-mentioned items of personal equipment and parachute equipment, must take with one another, only those private items (watch, lighter, etc.), which are closely linked with the legend. Permit the removal of these items may give the commander odprawowego rate during the final inspection legend.
    At the station waiting jumpers receive the following additional items parachute equipment:
    inverted parachute-type "X" or
    parachute-harness to the "A"
    -set of maps of landing area
    -inventory of the equipment in question with the team zrzuconego
    food-ration
    -poison (tablet 'L')
    In addition, each jumper can get to carry the belt with money-service and post allowance.
    The report L.dz. 4133, gives the Army Commander as follows:
    "... They need to be [skoczkom] categorically prohibit the import of personal items with them, except the personal weapons. Everything is extra equip the service can be sent only in the service tray.
    Conveyance by jumpers in the pockets of private parcels and stockings, panties, blouses, sweaters for women, footwear, leather, tea, coffee, chocolate, private letters, orders to and from the political groups - demoralizing and hurt our highly ideological and working staff receiving and evacuation (mostly intellectuals), who risked their lives to carry out reception and evacuation, moreover, it decreases the społeczeństwiewysoki until now the charm of the army in exile. Our public opinion endorses the only moments of heroism and does not tolerate any private, so that just the right extremity, and requires that the way business used only for the service, applause only when paratroopers will use every pocket to carry spare ammunition, and weapons needed to fight, not gifts especially that for dollars all the necessary equipment of the Civil buy cheap here yet. We issue the evacuation of their private things makes a huge problem, especially as often and in a nervous jump, lost part of the ground, and later require us to search for these items. Exposes us to additional costs and hardships. Zabrońcie skoczkom rozdarowywania memorabilia items of equipment or facilities to members, on grounds of conspiracy and control problems "/
    Equipment, personal equipment and parachute jumper should be arranged as follows:
    Principle:
    ln the suit: items that are traveling by plane, and those who surrendered to after landing at the facility, which respectively are also needed for work on the landing outside the institution.
    In file: items that would porzucało during the chase.
    The mantle: wrap and travel accessories.
    The dress: objects, which usually has to carry, and those studying to be a final in the event of landing outside the institution.
    Details:
    1) Overall:
    -inside:
    rear-pocket: folder;
    pocket-law:
    a) part of the outer (big pocket): ammunition and equipment for maintenance and cleaning of the weapon (ammunition sorted in bags)
    b) the inner part (a small pocket top): first aid kit,
    c) the inner pocket (a small pocket bottom): bottle of rum, and bags for weapons (in case of burial), together with a supply of duct tape and vaseline;
    pocket-left:-shoulder with the handle. Note: The jumper, who jumps with a parachute "A", do not take the shoulder and can use this pocket for one of the pistols.
    -out:
    -two pockets on the sides, two pistols additional strings attached, (long enough) to clasp his pocket, and four magazines (2 guns) - magazines loaded pistols niezarepetowane;
    -pocket on left sleeve: folding knife;
    -pocket on the left thigh: electric torch.
    Note: The distribution of these shifts measure severity of jumper on the thigh.
    2) Folder: spare underwear, toiletries, a set of utensils for cleaning clothes and shoes.
    3) Coat:
    -outer-pocket portion of food;
    wewntętrzna-pocket-set of maps 1:300 000
    4) Clothes:
    -personal documents (passport);
    -money pop (Reichsmarki, Młynarki) in your wallet and purse;
    -inventory of equipment spanning from a given team;
    -compass;
    -maps 1:000 000 landing area;
    -zapolombowanej severance pay in the can;
    -poison;
    Imposed on clothes with money-service belt.

II. Wyposażenie skoczka

W czasie trwania kursu odprawowego, słuchacze zostaną zaopatrzeni w następujące przedmioty wyposażenia osobistego:
    -ubranie cywilne
    -płaszcz
    -obuwie
    -sweter wełniany
    -nakrycie głowy
    -szalik
    -dwie koszule
    -dwie pary ciepłych kalesonów
    -trzy pary ciepłych skarpetek
    -trzy chustki do nosa
    -ciepłe rękawiczki
    -ręcznik
    -teczka na bieliznę
    -podwiązki
    -pasek do spodni lub szelki
    -dwa krawaty
    -zestaw dokumentów osobistych
    -papierosy niemieckie
    -ostrza do golenia pochodzenia niemieckiego

We własnym zakresie należy wystarać się o zestaw niezbędnych przyborów toaletowych i zestaw do czyszczenia ubrania i butów.
    Przed przyjściem na stację wyczekiwania, każdy skoczek otrzymuje odprawę pieniężną w dolarach papierowychi złotych oraz pewną ilość waluty niemieckiej (Reichsmarki) i złotych (Młynarki). Na zapakowanie odprawy dolarowej, każdy żołnierz otrzymuje metalową puszkę . Pieniądze niemieckie oraz Młynarki przewozi się w portmonerce.
    Każdy żołnierz przygotowany do lotu do Kraju otrzymuje również na kursie odprawowym następujący ekwipunek spadochronowy:
    -kombinezon
    -hełm z okularami
    -dwa bandaże elastyczne na kostki
    -dwie gumowe wkładki do butów
    -dwa pistolety automatyczne
    -amunicję do pistoletów (po 50 sztuk na pistolet)
    -dwa magazynki zapasowe
    -nóż składany
    -łopatkę
    -latarke elektryczną z zapasową baterią
    -kompas
    -płaską butelkę na alkohol
    -apteczkę
    -płótno impregnowane gumą, do wykonania woreczków na broń i amunicję.
    Poza wyżej wymienionymi przedmiotami wyposażenia osobistego oraz ekwipunku spadochronowego, wolno zabrać ze soba jedynie te przedmioty prywatne (zegarek, zapalniczka itp.), które są ściśle związane z legendą. Zezwolenie na zabranie tych przedmiotów może wydać komendant kursu odprawowego w czasie ostatecznej kontroli legend.
    Na stacji wyczekiwania skoczkowie otrzymują dodatkowo następujące przedmioty ekwipunku spadochronowego:
    -spadochron plecowy typu "X" lub
    -szelki do spadochronu typu "A"
    -zestaw map rejonu lądowania
    -spis sprzętu zrzuconego z daną ekipą
    -porcję żywności
    -truciznę (tabletka "L")
    Ponadto każdy skoczek może otrzymać do przewiezienia pasy z pieniędzmi służbowymi i pocztą służbową.

W sprawozdaniu L.dz. 4133, Dowódca Armii Krajowej podaje co następuje:
    »...Trzeba im [skoczkom] kategorycznie zakazać przywożenia ze sobą osobistych przedmiotów, poza osobistym uzbrojeniem. Wszystko, co jest dodatkowym służbowym wyekwipowaniem, może być wysłane wyłącznie w służbowym zasobniku.
    Przywożenie przez skoczków w prywatnych paczkach i kieszeniach pończoch, majtek, bluzek, swetrów damskich, obuwia, skóry, herbaty, kawy, czekolady, prywatnych listów, zleceń do i od grup politycznych - demoralizuje i krzywdzi w wysokim stopniu nasz ideowo pracujący personel odbiorczy i ewakuacyjny (w większości inteligenci), który z narażeniem życia przeprowadza odbiór i ewakuację; poza tym obniża to w społeczeństwiewysoki do tej pory urok wojska emigracyjnego. Nasza opinia społeczna aprobuje tylko momenty bohaterstwa i nie znosi żadnych prywat, toteż i tuz właściwą krańcowością wymaga, by drogi służbowe wykorzystywane były wyłącznie dla służby; przyklaśnie tylko jeśli spadochroniarze wykorzystają każdą kieszeń na przewóz zapasowej amunicji i broni, potrzebnej do walki, a nie upominków, zwłaszcza, że za dolary wszystkie potrzebne części ekwipunku cywilnego tanio tu jeszcze kupią. Nam sprawa ewakuacji ich rzeczy prywatnych sprawia ogromny kłopot, zwłaszcza, że często i w nerwowym zeskoku, gubią ich część w terenie, później zaś wymagają od nas poszukiwań tych przedmiotów. Naraża nas to na dodatkowe koszty i trudy. Zabrońcie skoczkom rozdarowywania pamiątek lub części wyposażenia członkom placówek, ze względów konspiracyjnych i trudności kontroli«/
    Wyposażenie osobiste i ekwipunek spadochronowy skoczka powinien być rozmieszczony w sposób następujący:
    Zasada:
    1. W kombinezonie: przedmioty, które służą w podróży samolotem, i te które oddaje się po wylądowaniu na placówce, względnie które są potrzebne przy pracy po wylądowaniu poza placówką.
    2. W teczce: przedmioty, które by się porzucało w czasie pościgu.
    3. W płaszczu: przybory pokrywkowe i podróżne.
    4. W ubraniu: przedmioty, które zwykle posiada się przy sobie oraz te, które zakopuje się jako ostatnie w razie lądowania poza placówką.
    Szczegóły:
    1)Kombinezon:
    -wewnątrz:
    -kieszeń tylna: teczka;
    -kieszeń prawa:
    a) część zewnętrzna (kieszeń duża): amunicja i przybory do konserwacji oraz czyszczenia broni (amunicja posegregowana w woreczkach),
    b) część wewnętrzna (mała kieszeń górna): apteczka,
    c)kieszeń wewnętrzna (mała kieszeń dolna): butelka z rumem, oraz woreczki na broń (w razie zakopywania) wraz z zapasem taśmy izolacyjnej i wazeliny;
    -kieszeń lewa: -łopatka z trzonkiem. Uwaga: skoczek, który skacze ze spadochronem typu "A", nie zabiera łopatki i może użyć tę kieszeń na jeden z pistoletów.
    -zewnątrz:
    -dwie kieszenie po bokach: dwa pistolety przymocowane dodatkowo sznurkami, (dostatecznie długimi) do zapinki kieszeni, oraz cztery magazynki (2 w pistoletach)- magazynki załadowane, pistolety niezarepetowane;
    -kieszeń na lewym rękawie: nóż składany;
    -kieszeń na lewym udzie: latarka elektryczna.
    Uwaga: rozmieszczenie powyższe przesuwa środek ciężkość skoczka na uda.
    2) Teczka: zapasowa bielizna, przybory toaletowe, zestaw przyborów do czyszczenia ubrań i butów.
    3) Płaszcz:
    -kieszeń zewnętrzna- porcja żywności;
    -kieszeń wewntętrzna- zestaw map 1:300 000
    4) Ubranie:
    -dokumenty osobiste (paszportowe);
    -pieniądze podręczne (Reichsmarki, Młynarki) w portfelu i portmonetce;
    -spis sprzętu przerzuconego z daną ekipą;
    -kompas;
    -mapy 1:000 000 rejonu lądowania;
    -odprawa pieniężna w zapolombowanej puszce;
    -trucizna;
    Na ubranie nakłada się pasy z pieniędzmi służbowymi.

III. Station waiting

1. -After successfully completing the course odprawowego, soldiers assigned to a flight to the Country Station waiting to go and are dedicated for the exclusive use of the Head of Department "S" Catalogs. Spec. Pc N.W. At Station waiting, the soldiers assigned to a flight to Poland come marked with teams divided into consecutively numbered.
    2. -Superior jumpers on Wyczkeiwania Station is called. senior groups, each appointed by the Head of Department "S". Course of life on the station waiting is regulated, a copy of which is placed on the board. All divers are required to observe these rules and any orders angileskiego komnedanta station and Polish senior groups. Beginning of the preparatory work for metastasis is determined by the liaison officer (celebrating) with the Department of "S".
    3. -Teams are marked angileskimi operational codenames; jumpers receive a unique number in the team jump-turn. At the same time receive an individual number in the team - in the order jump. At the same time be designated team leader, whose powers are specified in sections 2 and 3 "order of Flight" as follows: "2 Commander and subordinate members of the parachute team orders aircraft commander for the duration of chwiliwejścia on board until the jump. All orders of the commander of the aircraft must be strictly and effectively enforced. This mainly concerns the place and time where the jump is to be made. 3. The commander has the power parachute team commander of the battlefield for all members of the team that manages the team leader, at its discretion. "
    4. -From the moment of arrival at Station waiting jumpers instead of using naziwsk-only numbers and codenames of their team. While waiting on the station is forbidden to maintain any social relationship outside the station-even by correspondence.
    5. -When arriving at the Station Wyczekiania, operational teams receive operating equipment and business-like in Chapter II of this manual-and then adjusts it carefully.
    On the eve of the flight options are given jumper following data:
    -location of the receiving facility and reserve area;
    -password reconnaissance facility;
    -contact addresses and passwords of the province and in Warsaw.
    All these divers must learn by heart, which should be combined with a detailed study of maps 1:100 000
    On departure, an officer from the Department of celebrating "S" turn skoczkom savings in the rest of the English currency into dollars. In this way, severance pay will be supplemented then finally packed, watertight, suitable marked and sealed.

III. Stacja Wyczekiwania

1. -Po pomyślnym ukończeniu kursu odprawowego, żołnierze wyznaczeni do lotu do Kraju przechodzą na Stację Wyczekiwania i oddani zostają do wyłącznej dyspozycji Szefa Wydziału »S« Oddz. Spec. Szt. N.W. Na Stację Wyczekiwania, żołnierze wyznaczeni do lotu do Kraju przychodzą podzieleni na ekipy oznaczone kolejnymi numerami.
    2. -Przełożonym skoczków na Stacji Wyczkeiwania jest tzw. senior grupy, mianowany każdorazowo przez Szefa Wydziału »S«. Tok życia na Stacji Wyczekiwania uregulowany jest przepisami, których kopia umieszczona jest na tablicy. Wszyscy skoczkowie obowiązani są do bezwzględnego przestrzegania tych przepisów, oraz wszelkich zarządzeń angileskiego komnedanta stacji i polskiego seniora grupy. Początek prac przygotowawczych do przerzutu określony jest przez oficera łącznikowego (odprawiającego) z Wydziału »S«.
    3. -Ekipy operacyjne zostają oznaczone angileskimi kryptonimami; skoczkowie otrzymują indywidualny numer w ekipie- według kolejności wyskoku. Równocześnie otrzymują indywidualny numer w ekipie - według kolejności wyskoku. Równocześnie zostaje wyznaczony dowódca ekipy, którego uprawnienia określają punkty 2 i 3 »Rozkazu Lotu« w sposób następując: »2. Dowódcę i członków ekipy skoczków podporządkowuje rozkazom dowódcy samolotu na czas od chwiliwejścia na pokład do chwili wyskoczenia. Wszystkie rozkazy dowódcy samolotu muszą być bezwzględnie i sprawnie wykonane. Dotyczy to przede wszystkim miejsca i czasu, w którym ma być dokonany skok. 3. Dowódca ekipy skoczków ma uprawnienia dowódcy oddziału na polu walki w stosunku do wszystkich członków ekipy, które dowódca ekipy zarządza według swego uznania.«
    4. -Od chwili przybycia na Stację Wyczekiwania, skoczkowie używają zamiast naziwsk- wyłącznie swoich numerów i kryptonimów ekipy. W czasie pobytu na Stacji Wyczekiwania zabronione jest utrzymywanie jakichkolwiek stosunków towarzyskich poza terenem Stacji- nawet drogą korespondencyjną.
    5. -Po przybyciu na Stację Wyczekiania, ekipy operacyjne otrzymują ekwipunek operacyjny i służbowy- jak w rozdziale II niniejszej instrukcji- po czym dokładnie go dopasowywują.
    W przeddzień możliwości lotu podane zostaną skoczką następujące dane:
    -położenie placówki odbiorczej i rejonu zapasowego;
    -hasła rozpoznawcze placówki;
    -adresy kontaktowe i hasła na prowincji oraz w Warszawie.
    Wszystkie te dane skoczkowie muszą opanować na pamięć, co powinno byc połączone z szczegółowym studium mapy 1:100 000.
    W dniu odlotu, oficer odprawiający z Wydziału »S« zamieni skoczkom resztę oszczędności w walucie angielskiej na dolary. W ten sposób uzupełniona odprawa pieniężna zostanie następnie ostatecznie opakowana, wodoszczelnie, odpowiedni oznaczona i zaplombowana.

IV. Flight

At the time of flight, crew is subordinated to the orders of the commander of the aircraft, which transmit their orders by the operator of paratroopers to accompany team.
    Divers take place in the aircraft, according to the order numbers to jump and-choosing a most convenient position-wsuwają in a sleeping bag, which is such rozmierów that allows you to enter it in full parachute equipment.
    In case of emergency-only the commander can issue orders to can jump.
    During the flight, usually by the sea, tried to be an aircraft machine guns.
    At least 15 minutes before reaching the area of the facility, emergency signal is given and only then should begin preparing for spring.

V. Jump and landing

Same jump is executed on the orders of the commander of the aircraft sent by the operator sapdochronowego team. Jump-like sequence previously established. Please note that the night after the jump is more difficult to assess the rate of fall and the wind direction.
    Parachute jump before the operator shall inform the team whether the discharge is made at the receiving institution, or the spare area.

IV. Przelot

Na czas przelotu, ekipa podporządkowana jest rozkazom dowódcy samolotu, który przekazuje swoje rozkazy przez operatora spadochronowego, towarzyszącego ekipie.
    Skoczkowie zajmują miejsca w samolocie, według kolejności numerów do wyskoku i- wybrawszy najdogodniejszą pozycję- wsuwają się w śpiwór, który jest takich rozmierów, że pozwala na wejście do niego w pełnym ekwipunku spadochronowym.
    W razie zagrożenia- tylko dowódca samolotu może może wydać rozkaz do skoku.
    W czasie lotu, zwykle nad morzem, próbowane są karabiny maszynowe samolotu.
    Co najmniej na 15 minut przed osiągnięciem rejonu placówki, podany zostaje sygnał pogotowia i dopiero wówczas należy rozpocząć przygotowania do skoku.

V. Skok i lądowanie

Sam skok zostaje wykonany na rozkaz dowódcy samolotu przekazany ekipie przez operatora sapdochronowego. Kolejność wyskoku- jak ustalona poprzednio. Należy pamiętać, że po skoku nocnym trudniejsza jest do oceny szybkość spadania oraz kierunek wiatru.
    Przed skokiem operator spadochronowy informuje ekipę, czy zrzut dokonany zostaje na placówkę odbiorczą, czy też na rejon zapasowy.

VI. Steps after landing

A. In the case of discharge to the receiving institution

This incident takes place at every normally carried out in a discharge.
    After an exchange of personnel and password oddzewu facility, as the crew goes into a whole under the orders of the commander of the facility, which has since chwiliprzejmuje overall responsibility for the further evacuation of parachutists and equipment.
    Commander is required to give the team held an inventory of imported equipment delegate the Home Army, the current facility, while the deputy commander of the team gives 2nd copy spsiu commander of the facility.
    Then give the delegate all jumpers Command, according to a list of imported equipment, allocated to them during a trip with money-service lanes, imported mail, sealed packages of money and all odprawowymi parachute equipment, including guns. According to the decision of the Commander-arms Army parachutists from the moment they find themselves at home, go to the official Army outfit.
    Putting their own money on the facility is intended to protect their transit to the destination skoczkó. For their delivery, Army authorities have full responsibility. In the event of loss of cans with the money by the evacuation, jumper will receive the equivalent in England paid him a dollar admission.
    When you receive the equipment listed in the inventory at the request of the commander of the team should delegate pokwitować adequately reception equipment.
    Olympic athletes receive the equipment enough local currency for the trip to Warsaw. Depending on local security conditions, go on his way to the landing place immediately following the next day or in a few days after landing. The decision in this regard lies in the hands of the Delegate.
    Skoczkom not give out any gifts to staff the facility. Facility may not disclose such contact addresses held in the province and in Warsaw. The addresses can be disclosed only to the delegate or commanders placóki a clear command.

B. If the discharge in the vicinity of the receiving facility.

It is possible that due to confusion naigatora, or strong wind, jumpers with bunkers you will land at some distance from their inbox. In that case you should try to establish contact with the facility, using the maps held. If it occurred too far from their follow-team as in the case of discharge in the discharge of reserve area (see paragraph. C of this chapter).
    Trays, which in this case were discharged, leave it to the point of discharge, and all the parachute equipment and other equipment to try to move away from the landing and hide (bury) in a convenient location. Team will receive the contact addresses at the event and to those addresses to go.

C. If the discharge of the district reserve

Spare area is called a guarded, an area with favorable conditions for landing in the vicinity of which there are contact addresses, ready to assist the prospective skoczkom. Dump the spare area can occur only in exceptional cases, it zanczy if the pilot determines that the area in which the institution must be located, is not agreed upon a light signal, and a flight manual in this case the reserve division. At the district are discharged only spare jumpers. Zasobiniki remain on the plane.
    After landing, divers should zorienotwać quickly on the ground and zwin parachutes try to establish communications between each other using agreed-upon signals (signals a flashlight, the voices of animals). If can not fond enchanter to each jumper does continue on their own. Once you have found enchanter you should quickly quick:
    Explore the surrounding countryside from the perspective of bezpeiczeństwa. If it proved that the landing was obserowane by strangers who should compel them to silence, not hesitating before killing them in the event of any doubt.
    Prior to further work, the team leader is obliged to arrange insurance.
    If there is no immediate danger, you must proceed carefully to obliterate traces of the landing, burying in the first place ekwipunke parachute. Commander of the team is obliged to check whether all possible to remove the traces have been obliterated.
    After leaving the landing area and zakopaniu parachute equipment to another, during the night approaches as close as contact addresses. Before dawn, after finding a suitable location, easy to find, you should hide (bury) the post office, with money-service bars, cans of their own money, arms and racks.
    Each jumper in the team should be able to find, Bk describe the two hiding places (burial) parachute equipment and hardware business.
    After hiding (zakopaniu) hardware business, divide the team into smaller groups and take on the appearance appropriate to its existing legend. When the day arrives, you should go to the contact addresses in groups of more than double. On the way to the contact address, please make sure that is not compromising on the objects themselves, especially maps.
    If the landing area is directly threatened, you should seek primarily to save money and mail in the second-order and leave the contents of the luggage as soon as the landing area.
    Upon contact with the Organization, through the contact address-jumpers are coming under command of the Army and the authorities act in accordance with dlaej received on-site instrukcyj. At the contact address must be disclosed to hide wmiejsce parachute equipment and business equipment.
    Commander of the Army shall report L.dz. 4133 following the instructions as to where postępownia landing outside the institution:
    "The jump outside the facility during zabezpiecznia discharge, or rubbing traces in relation to our population Better implementation of terror, referring to the patriotic feelings can give a result when dealing with one person, in relation to the use of terror, a group of people should be the rule . In addition to better results in performance, yet protect the population against the invader repression. If assistance needed to pretend so. smugglers, traffickers popular food-type, which helps people in passing the review. If you have to deal with a good Pole, to give you the work coincides with Germany or slavery. Beware of ethnic Germans. At the contact addresses given to his charatkteru not accepting you may not know what jumpers are. Terms and addresses should be kept in strictest secrecy, can not under any circumstance be recorded and given to anyone, except those that must know about them. Addresses should be secret in relation to the personnel of the facility. "
    Head of the Department of Spec. HQ N.W.
    (-)
    Protasewicz
    Lt-Col. Ing. "

VI. Czynności po wylądowaniu

A. W razie zrzutu na placówkę odbiorczą

Wypadek ten ma miejsce przy każdym normalnie przeprowadzonym zrzucie.
    Po wymianie z personelem placówki hasła i oddzewu, ekipa przechodzi w całości pod rozkazy dowódcy placówki, który od tamtej chwiliprzejmuje całkowitą odpowiedzialność za dalszą ewakuację skoczków i sprzętu.
    Dowódca ekipy zobowiązany jest wręczyć posiadany spis przywiezionego sprzętu Delegatowi Dowództwa Armii Krajowej, obecnemu na placówce, podczas gdy zastępca dowódcy ekipy wręcza 2-gi egzemplarz spsiu dowódcy placówki.
    Następnie wszyscy skoczkowie oddają Delegatowi Dowództwa , zgodnie ze spisem przywiezionego sprzętu, przydzielone im na czas lotu pasy z pieniędzmi służbowymi, przywiezioną pocztę, zaplombowane paczki z pieniędzmi odprawowymi oraz cały ekwipunek spadochronowy, łącznie z pistoletami. Zgodnie z decyzją Dowódcy Armii Krajowej- broń skoczków, z momentem znalezienia się w Kraju, przechodzi na wyekwipowanie służbowe Armii Krajowej.
    Oddanie pieniędzy własnych na placówce ma na celu zabezpieczenie ich przerzutu na miejsce przeznaczenia skoczkó. Za ich dostarczenie, organy Armii Krajowej ponoszą pełną odpowiedzialność. W razie utraty puszki z pieniędzmi przez organy ewakuacyjne, skoczek otrzyma równowartość wypłaconej mu w Anglii odprawy dolarowej.
    Po odebraniu sprzetu wymienionego w spisie, na żądanie dowódcy ekipy Delegat powinien pokwitować w odpowiedni sposób odbiór sprzętu.
    Skoczkowie otrzymują na placówce odpowiednią ilość waluty miejscowej na podróż do Warszawy. Zależnie od miejscowych warunków bezpieczeństwa, wyjazd w dalszą drogę z miejsca wylądowania następuje zaraz, następnego dnia, lub też w parę dni po wylądowaniu. Decyzja w tym względzie leży w rękach Delegata.
    Skoczkom nie wolno rozdawać personelowi placówki żadnych upominków. Nie wolno placówce ujawniać posiadanych adresów kontaktowych tak z prowincji jak i w Warszawie. Adresy można ujawnić tylko Delegatowi lub dowódcy placóki na wyraźny rozkaz.

B. W razie zrzutu w pobliżu placówki odbiorczej.

Zdarzyć się może, że na skutek pomyłki naigatora, lub silnego wiatru, skoczkowie wraz z zasobnikami wylądują w pewnej odległości od placówki odbiorczej. W takim wypadku należy starać sie nawiązać łączność z placówką, posługując się posiadanymi mapami. Jeżeli zrzut nastąpił zbyt daleko od placówki- ekipa postępuje tak jak w wypadku zrzutu zrzutu na rejon zapasowy (patrz pkt. C niniejszego rozdziału).
    Zasobniki, które w tym wypadku zostały zrzucone, należy pozostawić na miejscu zrzutu, a cały ekwipunek spadochronowy i pozostały sprzęt starać się przenieść zdala od lądowiska i ukryć (zakopać) w dogodnym miejscu. Ekipa otrzyma adresy kontaktowe na ten wypadek i na te adresy należy się udać.

C. W razie zrzutu na rejon zapasowy

Rejon zapasowy nazywa się dozorowany, obszar, posiadający dogodne warunki do lądowania, w sąsiedztwie którego znajdują się adresy kontaktowe, gotowe do udzielenia pomocy zgłaszającym się skoczkom. Zrzut na rejon zapasowy może mieć miejsce tylko w wyjątkowo, to zanczy wtedy, jeżeli pilot stwierdzi, że w rejonie, w którym winna się znajdować placówka, nie otrzymuje umówionego sygnału świetlnego, a posiada instrukcję lotu w tym wypadku na rejon zapasowy. Na rejon zapasowy zrzucani są tylko skoczkowie. Zasobiniki pozostają w samolocie.
    Po wylądowaniu, skoczkowie powinni zorienotwać się szybko w terenie i zwinąwszy spadochrony postarać się o nawiązanie między sobą łączności za pomocą umówionych znaków (sygnały latarką, głosy zwierząt). W razie niemożnościodszukania się, każdy skoczek działa dalej na własną ręke. Po odnalezieniu się, należy szybko kolejno:
    1. Zbadac okolicę z punktu widzenia bezpeiczeństwa. Gdyby się okazało, że lądowanie było obserowane przez osoby obce, należy zmusić je do milczenia, nie wahając się przed ich zabicie w razie jakiejkolwiek wątpliwości.
    2. Przed przystąpieniem do dalszej pracy, dowódca ekipy obowiązany jest zorganizowac ubezpieczenie.
    3. Jeżeli nie istnieje bezpośrednie zagrożenie, należy wówczas przystąpić do starannego zatarcia śladów lądowania, zakopując w pierwszym rzędzie ekwipunke spadochronowy. Dowódca ekipy obowiązany jest sprawdzić, czy wszystkie możliwe do usunięcia ślady, zostały zatarte.
    4. Po opuszczeniu rejonu lądowania i zakopaniu ekwipunku spadochronowego, nalęzy jeszcze w ciągu nocy podejść jak najbliżej adresów kontaktowych. Przed świtem, po znalezieniu odpowiedniego miejsca, łatwego do odszukania, należy ukryć (zakopać) pocztę, pasy z pieniędzmi służbowymi, puszki z pieniędzmi własnymi, broń i bagażniki.
    Każdy skoczek w ekipie powinien móc odnaleźć, lib opisać, oba miejsca ukrycia (zakopania) ekwipunku spadochronowego i sprzętu służbowego.
    5. Po ukryciu (zakopaniu) sprzętu służbowego, należy podzielić się w ekipie na mniejsze grupy i przybrać wygląd odpowiedni do posiadanej legendy. Po nadejściu dnia, należy udać się na adresy kontaktowe w grupach najwyżej dwuosobowych. W drodze na adres kontaktowy, należy się upewnić, czy ma nie ma się przy sobie kompromitujących przedmiotów, a w szczególności map.
    6. Jeżeli rejon lądowania jest bezpośrednio zagrożony, należy starać się uratować przede wszystkim pieniądze i pocztę, w drugiej kolejności- zawartość bagażników i opuścić jak najszybciej rejon lądowania.
    7. Z chwilą nawiązania kontaktu z Organizacją, za pośrednictwem adresu kontaktowego- skoczkowie przechodzą pod dowództwo władz Armii Krajowej i postępują dlaej w myśl otrzymanych na miejscu instrukcyj. Na adresie kontaktowym należy ujawnić wmiejsce ukrycia ekwipunku spadochronowego oraz sprzętu służbowego.
    Dowódca Armii Krajowej podaje w sprawozdaniu L.dz. 4133 następujące instrukcje co do postępownia w razie lądowania poza placówką:
    »Przy zeskoku poza placówką, podczas zabezpiecznia zrzutu, lub zacierania śladó, w stosunku do naszej ludności lepiej stosowac terror; odwoływanie się do uczuć patriotycznych moze dać rezultat gdy się ma do czynienia z jedną osobą, w stosunku do grupy ludzi użycie terroru powinno być regułą. Poza lepszym rezultatem w działaniu, chroni jeszcze ludność przed represjami okupanta. W razie potrzebnej pomocy udawać tzw. szmuglerów, handlarzy żywnością- typ popularny, któremu ludność pomaga przy wymijaniu rewizji. Jeśli ma się do czynienia z dobrym Polakiem, można się podac za zbiega robót z Niemiec, lub niewoli. Wystrzegać się volksdeutschów. Na adresach kontaktowych nie podawać swego charatkteru, przyjmujący może nie wiedzieć kim skoczkowie są. Hasła i adresy powinny być zachowane w najściślejszej tajemnicy, nie mogą być pod żadnym pozorem zapisywane i podane nikomu, poza osobami, które muszą o nich wiedzieć. Adresy powinny byc zakonspirowane w stosunku do personelu placówki«.
    Szef Oddziału Spec. Sztabu N.W.
    (-)
    Protasewicz
    ppłk. dypl."

Geat material Mariusz

I am not so sure that the cichociemni did not take anything, such as the para wing badge, that connected them with Britain into Poland. I attach a photo of Lieutenant Jan Piwnik c.c. ‘Ponury’ who seems to be wearing a para wings badge on his uniform. But maybe he just bent the rules?

Also I have included an English translation from Tucholski's book 'Powracali Noca' ... it has not been translated into English before

In June 1943 a new Head of the Kielce Kedyw, Lieutenant Jan Piwnik cc ‘Ponury’, arrived in the Suchedniów forests. Shortly afterwards a number of other cichociemni joined: Lieutenant Jan Rogowski ‘Czarka’, Lieutenant Eugeniusz Kaszyński ‘Nurt’, Second Lieutenant Waldemar Szwiec ‘Robot - a covert operations officer from Końskie, and Second Lieutenant Rafał Niedzielski ‘Mocny’ or ‘Rafał’. ‘Mocny’ had been stopped by the Germans en route from Warsaw to Luftwaffeów, had escaped from arrest in Zagnańsk and hadjoined ‘Ponury’.

The first significant AK detachment on the left bank of the Vistula was now rapidly formed - AK Partisan Group ‘Ponury’. The detachment included: Lieutenant ‘Nurt’s’ No. 1 Group, Second Lieutenant ‘Robot’s’ No. 2 Group and Second Lieutenant Stanisław Pałac ‘Mariański’s’ No. 3 Group. Lieutenant ‘Czarka’ assumed command of ‘Warszawski’ platoon in ‘Robot’s’ group. Wounded in July he is to hand over the platoon to Second Lieutenant ‘Mocny’. ‘Ponury’ ordered the first operation – an attack on the railway lines near Łączna for the night of the 2nd and 3rd of July. ‘Warszawski’ platoon’s chronicler, ‘Staszek’ described it as follows:

"We are to hit some train. We call a halt about 2 kilometres from the railway line and settle in for quite some time. It’s 23:00 hours. We down our supplies and then just wait. It’s a cold night, but extraordinarily beautiful. We can hear from time to time the thundering of a passing train and the hum of quiet conversation floats out from the forest darkness. We learn exactly what we are going to do only an hour before the operation. At 02:17 hours a passenger train from Warsaw to Cracow will pass through the station at Jędrów on the Łączna to Suchedniów sector. We are to stop the train, overpower the crew, have all the passengers get off, and check the papers of all the Germans and then take the field police and Gestapo into the woods with us, not harming the regular soldiers. If we cannot complete the mission, we are to shoot up the train with everything we’ve got. A single long blast on a whistle will be the signal to open fire, and three blasts will tell us to gather at the station.

Other partisan groups - ‘Oset’s’ and ‘Grot’s’, under ‘Ponury’s’ overall command - are to stop a train which will arrive 10 minutes later. Some of the lads are given special assignments; we all split into 4 groups. We have 1 heavy machine gun, 2 LMGs, 1 Panzerfaust, 4 stens as well as a rifle and a few revolvers. The first task, frightening the staff at the station, has already been carried out. Now the commanders of individual groups lead their men into position. The heavy machine gun is already on its pre-arranged position.

The final minutes. The train has already left Suchedniów. The thundering can be heard more and more clearly. The signals have been set to ‘stop’. Will the train stop? Will we be able to overpower the crew? Our anxious thoughts are interrupted by a long double whistle from the engine. The black machine stops, breathing steam. Time to go! The commander of one of the operational groups ‘Jurek’, together with rifleman ‘Azorek’, jump onto the engine. “Hände hoch!” The engine driver, the fireman and his mate do not resist, they just ask us not to kill them. They appear to be Polish and very willing to help. ‘Azorek’, a railway fitter by trade, destroys the engine cab and orders the steam to be released, immobilising the engine for some time. At the same time ‘Kuna’ and ‘Katylina’ are busy in the brake van and the overall commander Lieutenant ‘Czarka’ is with them. However, the guard and another railwayman are missing. They are probably in another carriage. ‘Katylina’ calls out to all the passengers in a loud voice to get off the train. Some soldiers jump down from the first two carriages. At the same moment a shot rings out from the third carriage. The soldiers lying on the ground also want to open fire, but are silenced by Lieutenant ‘Czarka’, Katylina’ and ‘Kuna’ with shots from a rifle and revolvers. Furious firing now breaks out from the train. This is the signal for us to open fire. The LMG is already firing, you can hear single shots from the rifle, and from time to time the deep sound of our heavy machine gun can be heard. Now my mate, ‘Wąs’, takes up a position on the platform and fires a burst at the Germans who are jumping out on the other side where the heavier fire is coming from.

At that moment Lieutenant ‘Stefanowski’ as well as my mates ‘Cichy’, ‘Gotowy’ and ‘Czajek’ are trying to blow the doors of the mail van. As Lieutenant ‘Stefanowski’ was laying the explosive charge a German officer
    rushed over with a pistol in his hand, but ‘Czajek’, who is covering him, immediately takes down the German. However, the fuse won’t light and despite several efforts, they have to give up on blowing the doors.

Meanwhile our teams are shooting up the carriages more strongly. You can hear wounded Germans shouting and groaning, but their automatic weapons and pistol fire is getting fiercer. We suddenly hear three whistle blasts. It’s the signal to assemble on the station. We pull out. The Germans increase their rate of fire. However, we reach the assembly-point and the firing of a rocket tells us to hurry up with our withdrawal.

At almost the same time there is an incredible sound like falling trees and iron cracking. It turned out that this was the train from Cracow that ‘Ponury’ was to have held up and which had crashed into a goods train smashing up several wagons. We leave the station and head into the forest. The battle has lasted 15 minutes. When we cut across the road, we see German field police vehicles standing about 700 metres away. However, the Germans are unclear as to what is happening and only fire a few wild shots. The forest envelops us now with its protective wings. We meet ‘Ponury’s’ group at the designated spot.

What is the result of the operation?

We did not achieve our principal objective and above all we had been unable to force the Germans to leave the train. Similarly, the other train had got away from ‘Ponury’ after a 10-minute battle. However, we blocked an important railway line for some time and in addition the Germans had certainly suffered heavy casualties. We have just one man wounded. We did not capture much in the way of weapons, but a great many of us had our baptism of fire.

The partisan’s account is amplified by a German report whose author had not understood the chronology of the action:

"During the night of the 2nd/3rd VII a goods train was derailed on the Kielce - Skarżysko Kamienna line, between the towns of Łączna and Suchedniów. An accompanying passenger train crashed into the goods train. The Warsaw-Cracow express travelling in the opposite direction hit a landmine (there was no mine. Author’s note.) and came off the rails. Bandits shot up both passenger trains. Our losses: 8 killed, including 1 soldier and I soldier from the Ostlegion, and 30-40 wounded, including 11 soldiers.”
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cichociemni (Polish SOE)  

3mk
    ?

Thanks for the translation Mariusz and 4thSkorpian

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    Geat material Mariusz

I am not so sure that the cichociemni did not take anything, such as the para wing badge, that connected them with Britain into Poland. I attach a photo of Lieutenant Jan Piwnik c.c. ‘Ponury’ who seems to be wearing a para wings badge on his uniform. But maybe he just bent the rules?

.”
    I have seen that picture of Jan Piwnik c.c. ‘Ponury’, same say that maybe he took para wings badge from Britain, same say that maybe he has made it in Poland. As fare as I know that is the only picture of cichociemny wearing a para wings badge on his uniform in Poland.

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast