Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Cichociemni (Polish SOE)

Article about: Dear members, I just joined, my name is Gianluca Vernole, I write from Casamassima, a town in Puglia, Italy. My country holds the oldest military cemetery of the 2nd Polish Corps for 5 years

Default Re: Cichociemni (Polish SOE)

Hello "morela",

Witold "morela" Dąbkowski, Polish VI (Sixth) Bureau Instructor
    Dąbkowski, Witold 25.11.1915 - 06.04.2002 buried in England.
    The VI Bureau was created to carry out secret liason with Nazi-occupied Poland and was the chief 'carrier' of encoded intelligence reports for the II Bureau (intelligence).

I would suggest you contact SPP-PUMST in London who will have records for Witold Dąbkowski.

Are you related? If you are you will also be able to obtain his service records from British MoD.

There are links to SPP-PUMST and MoD elsewhere on the forum.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

thank's for the reply!
    yes he was my grandad just been looking through the stuff he has collected, there's lot's of interesting bit's but alot of it is polish so is hard to translate1
    where did you get that information?

Catholic Church list of nearly all the Poles buried in UK for name and dates.
    Did you know your grandfather was interviewed by Jeffery Bines who wrote a thesis about the Polish SOE (and later a book about Operation Freston) although "morela" is not mentioned in the text other than he was an interviewee.

?

yes i have got that thesis in pdf but need to read it!
    i dont know whether there's specific text from my grandad or not? we knew he was interviewed a few times!
    it's a shame he never really spoke to us much about it.
    we know he did some interesting thing's and was still worried about them and his secrecy when he was well in to old age!

The long-term 'secrecy' was true for many Poles. Manybe one day you could scan some of your grandfather's momentos and share them here, I for one would love to see them and I am sure many others on the forum would also like to see them

The MoD and SPP-PUMST will be your best option for detailed information.

I have a spare and free copy of:
    Poland, S.O.E. and the Allies
    by Józef Garlinski
    248 pages
    Publisher: Allen & Unwin—Aug 1969

If someone (a Forum Member) is happy to pay for postage and a padded envelope from UK they can have this copy!

It is brand new-old (a bit shelf-faded) and is unread! Despite the boring cover design it is still a great 'classic' from respected Polish historian

Cheapest (today) copy online for a ex-library copy is £29.99 +

I could ebay it but would prefer it went free to a 'forum' home
    Attached Images Attached Images Cichociemni (Polish SOE) 
    Last edited by StefanM; 10-31-2011 at 10:26 AM.

?

if the book is in english i would happily pay postage for it!
    there's so many book's about soe it's hard to decide which one's to read!

will try and scan some info, but how do you upload pic's?

OK you are welcome to have the book. I will send you a PM with my email and you can email me your address so I can tell you what postage will be.
    To upload scans you need to hit <Go Advanced> button under message reply and you will see <Attachments> <Pitcures Upload >.

See screen-grab below
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cichociemni (Polish SOE)  
    Last edited by StefanM; 10-31-2011 at 07:41 PM.

This picture is from Rotmistrz Medwicz collection. This is Rotmistrz cichociemny Jan Maria Kanty Skrochowski nom de guerre "Ostroga" (Spur).VM, KW x 2. He died along with Pplk "Kotwicz" (Maciej Kalenkiewicz) VM x 2, Kw x 2, cichociemny, and Cpt "Hatrak" (Franciszek Cieplik) VM, KW x 2, cichociemny who with some AK personnel fought the fight with Red Army. It happened on 21st August 1944 by a village Surkonty (Lithuania). They fought heroically a full Red Army Infantry Battalion losing the three above plus 36 other rank and file AK personnel. The ratio was about 10:1 for the soviets. The soviet dead numbered about 140. The soviets were killing the wounded.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cichociemni (Polish SOE)  

Thank you for the picture and history behind the people.
    Please keep it coming.

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast