Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Cpt. Ludwik Zwolanski, 1st Polish Para Brigade

Article about: About 2 years ago I met a fellow collector who told me that he had a Polish Para Officers uniform for sale. Another made up uniform I told myself.... But I was very wrong. I asked if he want

Cpt. Ludwik Zwolanski, 1st Polish Para BrigadeCpt. Ludwik Zwolanski, 1st Polish Para BrigadeCpt. Ludwik Zwolanski, 1st Polish Para Brigade
    Newspaper period article.

Tomasz, great thread! Thank you for taking the time and effort to share with us this amazing grouping, the story of the acquisition, and your research. This important grouping could not have ended up in better hands. Again, thanks, congratulations to you!

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Superb!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I remember this set and am 100% sure it is NOT Captain Zwolanski's.
    It belonged to another Captain who got to the Brigade late in 1944. I will try to find out the name.

It is still is a 100% original set from the Brigade just not Zwolanski's.
    Captain Zwolanski's wife was never in the service.
    On a side note, I know there was some sort of issue with Captain Zwolanski's awards and medals ie: stolen or someone switched them.

You remember this set from where ? Sounds like you have seen it before....... Do you have any pictures, anything to verify this statement ?

Regarding the female BD, i remember Gary J telling me that he was not sure how the female BD got mixed up in this lot. I simply told the story that I got from the previous seller.

Gary J has collected, lived and breathed Polish Para Brigade. It is who identified the lot as belonging to Cpt Zwolanski.

I remember having a conversation with you "Cichociemny "couple of years ago and it was the same story : you remembered seeing some things that belonged to Rotmistrz Medwicz for sale in the store in Poland when in reality my Brother purchased his whole collection from his late Wife and sold me these things. So these were never in any store for sale and you could not "remember" them. However you have really insisted that it was so and you had some proof that never materialized.

Quote by cichociemny View Post
    I remember this set and am 100% sure it is NOT Captain Zwolanski's.
    It belonged to another Captain who got to the Brigade late in 1944. I will try to find out the name.

It is still is a 100% original set from the Brigade just not Zwolanski's.
    Captain Zwolanski's wife was never in the service.
    On a side note, I know there was some sort of issue with Captain Zwolanski's awards and medals ie: stolen or someone switched them.
    When is " late " 1944 ? Pre Arnhem ? or post Arnhem ?

When I hear late in the year i think November, December. Could you please specify...

Hi Krakow

This Battledress set was never in my collection, another chap had it, hence I never had a need to photograph it. It is 100% original however It did not belong to Zwolanski, that is what the collector that listed them on ebay told me years ago when they turned up. Is there any original paperwork with it or a name tag that has Zwolanski's surname in it?

In regards to the Medwicz group that I was able to see in a store in Poland, here is where I got to see them:

Sklep "Arsenal'
    Ul. Florianska 20, Krakow

I remember the chap "Pawel' showed it to me, and the reason I remember it is it had the secret small citations awarding him the VM which I thought was nice and it had a plain white/red armband. The photo in SS uniform with a MP40 is also very hard to forget.
    Maybe the wife bought it in and then took it back, I don't know, I just know I got to see it in that store up close and assumed that is where you bought it.

Quote by cichociemny View Post
    Hi Krakow

This Battledress set was never in my collection, another chap had it, hence I never had a need to photograph it. It is 100% original however It did not belong to Zwolanski, that is what the collector that listed them on ebay told me years ago when they turned up.
    Would you kindly provide me estimate of time when you think this set was on Ebay ? year, month... And this other collector ? who was it ? Was he British, Australian, Polish ? If this set was ever on eBay many People would have sen it, not just you.

Here is the thing:

I put this set on the Forum because I am hoping that perhaps someone from Family will recognize it, or someone could offer some final proof. I am interested in the truth, this set will never be sold as long as I am alive.

Here you come and say:

i am 100 % sure it is not his, it belonged to the other Captain who got to Brigade late in 1944.

When i ask what does "late 1944 " mean, you did not answer.

Twice you state : the set is genuine however. Thanks, but honestly how many Polish Para Uniforms have you handled ? or had in your collection ?

Now you ask are there any name tags inside or any documents came with it that have Cpt Zwolanski name ? Really ??

If you are 100% sure there is no need to ask that , correct ?

Once again this "chap" on Ebay ? what year and month ? which ebay : US, UK, Australia ? And the date, that is important because I have unbroken chain of custody on this dating back to.....

As far as Rtm Medwicz's stuff is concerned : my Brother still laughs about it. What year and month did you see this ? Please consult your diary.
    What you saw more than likely were some pictures, there were some copies of these made and sold.

Hi Krakow

I sent you a PM.

?

When I chased this set back in around 2003, the "owner" at the time had purchased it directly from the family, and he made it clear that the group was a Denison, Beret, Jacket to a captain, and a BD to a Polish Woman.
    The name Zwolanski was clearly mentioned.

Zwolanski emigrated to Australia more or less directly after WW2, ..... Who he mixed with, or got mixed up with in his personal life, I have no idea.

Also of note, there were not a great amount of Captains in the 1SBS, and the likely hood of another emigrating to Australia is rather slim to say the least.

I personally am quite happy to pin this Jacket on Zwolanski .

Gary J.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast