Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Cross of Merit in Silver

Article about: Hello. After my search in the Web and in this forum, I belive this Cross of Merit in Silver is good one and made by the official polish mint in the early 50s. Please can one collector with m

Default Cross of Merit in Silver

Hello.
    After my search in the Web and in this forum, I belive this Cross of Merit in Silver
    is good one and made by the official polish mint in the early 50s.
    Please can one collector with more experienced like me to confirm this?
    If my opinion is correct,until now, I've known that cut out rays between the cross arms is a
    characteristic for the prewar WW2 manufacturers.
    How I can identify medals made until the end of WW2?
    Thank,all comments are welcome.
    Regards,Jannis.

Cross of Merit in Silver

Cross of Merit in Silver

Hello Jannis,

I would agree with you that this appears to be pre-1952 Polish National Mint product.

Regarding your question about how to identify Crosses of Merit made until the end of WW2, there are several subtle differences in suspension wreath details, cross arm background, the shape of the "RP" lettering, etc. These are best shown via photos. If you are seriously into collecting these and want to gain valuable knowledge of the many variations and producers of the cross since its inception I would highly recommend acquiring the Zbigniew Krotke reference pictured below. Although the text is Polish, it contains a large and detailed section showing close up photos of each cross type and the unique details the cross possesses (see bottom photo below of a typical page layout from this section).

Regards,
    Tony

Cross of Merit in Silver
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Merit in Silver   Cross of Merit in Silver  

Cross of Merit in Silver   Cross of Merit in Silver  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hello.
    Thank you very much for your advice.
    Regards,Jannis.