Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 40 of 45 FirstFirst ... 30 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast

Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types

Article about: Dear friends, I would like to propose posting a new thread with regards to the Krzyz Waleczny or Cross of Valour. i love this medal it is a personal favourite of mine. What i hope hope to ac

Hello OZ1981,

May I first of all welcome you to the Forum and thank you for your post, your Grandfathers Krzyż Walecznych (Cross of Valour) from your photographs seems to be an example made by the London firm of Spink & Sons for the Polish Government in Exile.

This would point to him either serving in the 1st Corps, 1st Armoured Division, Polish Air Force or the Polish Navy.

The recommendations for the Krzyż Walecznych are held by the PISM in London, but there is no guarantee that they will have your grandfathers, there are numerous files containing the recommendations.

The Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych)

Was founded on the 11th August 1920 by a resolution of the State Defence Council as an award for acts of courage and bravery in battle.

Although primarily a decoration for Officers, NCOs and other ranks of the Armed Forces it can in exceptional circumstances be awarded to civilians. The Cross of Valour can be awarded up to four times to any one individual.

The Cross of Valour is a narrow Cross pattée, with a shield in the centre, made of lightly oxidised bronze (49mm x 49mm). The obverse carries the Inscription NA – POLU – CHWAŁY (On the Field of Glory) and the date 1920. The shield in the centre bears the crowned Polish eagle, the reverse of the cross shows a laurel wreath pierced by a sword with the inscription WALE – CZNYM (to the Valiant). Although the size of the Cross was specified as 49mm x 49mm smaller crosses were manufactures at a later date these measured 36mm x 36mm.

During the 2nd World War the colour of the ribbon was changed to a white ribbon with two amaranth coloured stripes.

Anyway OZ1981, once again Welcome to the Forum.

Best wishes

Andrzej

?

A. Berthrand for PSZnZ
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types  

Big request to you, Gentlemen.

What do you think about this cross? The cross itself seems to be genuine (?), but I'm most interested in your opinion about the ribbon. Is it genuine? Does it not look too good for the original?

Thank you in advance for your help,
    Konrad
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types  

Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types  

Last edited by conrado; 08-07-2019 at 09:36 AM.

Hi Konrad, the cross is genuine. A product of Samuel Kretschmer of Jerusalem. The ribbon is a modern replacement.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Thank you, Tony.

One more cordial request to you. Are this cross and ribbon genuine? And what type of cross is it?

Thank you in advance,
    Konrad
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types  

Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types  

Hi Konrad,

This cross has recently been attributed to Grupa Techniczna. Although no solid evidence has been put forth to back this up. The Krogulec catalogue has it listed as #24, existing in two variants. However, there is a distinct third variant with a different suspension, and is seldom seen. This cross is covered earlier in this thread.

The ribbon ring on this cross is a heavier gauge than most, and not soldered. The typical 24 ring is very narrow gauge and soldered. I’m away from my home computer and reference information, so for the moment will only suggest that it might be a replacement.

The two variants, identified as 24 and 24a by Krogulec, remains the most commonly seen KW on the market. If memory serves a large stock of surplus crosses were released onto the market about 25 or so years ago, and these are still circulating. Although it’s not seen as frequently as it once was.

Re the ribbon, it’s is not easy to judge from these photos as to whether it is original to the cross. Most of the 24’s had a safety pin sewn in for mounting. Regardless, it is correct.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Thank you very much Tony.

I quickly looked through the posts about Krogulec no. 24 and it is actually as you wrote. So because the typical 24 ring is very narrow gauge and soldered, and this one is thicker and has a gap, you suggesting that it origin form the other cross?
    This would also indicate that the ribbon is also from another cross...

Regards,
    Konrad

I haven’t had a chance to check my references for any 24’s with larger gauge unsoldered ribbon rings, but again from memory, the narrow gauge soldered rings are what is factory correct on an original cross. Do you have the Krogulec book? If so check there as the author describes ribbon ring specifications. He will say if there are more than one known ring type.

I would agree with your thoughts that the ribbon and ring might be a replacement. If you are considering purchasing this cross, and Krogulec does not say this is a correct ring, then my recommendation is to await a cross that is all original. This is a very common cross, and you will find a correct specimen before long.

Regards,
    Tony

Hello Gentlemen,

Could you be so kind and identify for me these three Crosses of Valour?

I just know that the third in order is the one of the "Palestinian" type. The first one cross on the reverse appears to be crushed at the edges near cylindrical suspension on the reverse....

And what about the ribbons? Are they all genuine?

Thank you in advance,
    Konrad

?

From allegro.
    You must buy Krogulec book, all this crosses is in this book.

Page 40 of 45 FirstFirst ... 30 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast