Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast

Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types

Article about: Dear friends, I would like to propose posting a new thread with regards to the Krzyz Waleczny or Cross of Valour. i love this medal it is a personal favourite of mine. What i hope hope to ac

Default Re: Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types

Quote by jamest8 View Post
    Thanks Tony. As ever very interesting and full answer.
    All the best
    James
    You're most welcome as always James. My prior post mentioned a 1939 dated cross produced in Poland in the mid 1970’s for veterans of the September Campaign. Here's an example of this cross:

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Quote by Gary J View Post
    Just out of interest, I picked this one up thinking it might be a Palestine issue ......
    I've had my doubts over authenticity because of the rough nature of production, ... but then I was lead to believe this is a possible pre war "Unger of Lwow" ..

Any thoughts ..

Gary J.
    Hi Gary, yes, it is the so-called ‘pisana data’ (“written date”) pattern that some attribute to being a product of Mr. Unger’s Lwow based operation. They were supposedly produced in a small quantity for the Wojsk Wielkopolskie (Greater-Poland Army).

This variant is covered here in post #50: Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types

Original crosses were cast in a light brass alloy and then the cross cut out of the resultant rough mold. They were then lightly finished by hand as necessary. Although cast, the details are typically well defined and surface generally free of casting pits. These are rare crosses and as you can well imagine, have been faked. I would hesitate to pass judgment on your cross based on those pictures alone, although there appears to be some questionable elements in need of a better look. If possible please post some close ups preferably under natural light in the pre-war section (I’ve pinned the thread as it had slipped several pages). I would need to see the edge details as well.

Regards,
    Tony
    Last edited by A.J. Zawadzki; 05-27-2012 at 08:44 AM. Reason: when typing Lwow, the site auto-posts “Luftwaffeów”” - ????
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

?

Another one made in Palestine.

Nice one pit. On original issue ribbon, and very characteristically with so many of these the ribbon is not folded in the correct manner. There are some that believe these crosses were actually made in Italy.

Posted below is an example of this type with unusual suspension. A period repair? or perhaps a variation?

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types  

?

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Nice one pit. On original issue ribbon, and very characteristically with so many of these the ribbon is not folded in the correct manner. There are some that believe these crosses were actually made in Italy.

Posted below is an example of this type with unusual suspension. A period repair? or perhaps a variation?

Regards,
    Tony
    Hi Tony,

Many thanks for you kind words I am very attached to the Middle East insignia and cap badges.
    That’s right. The ribbon is original. I have seen a few “Palestinian” crosses and far as I can remember the ribbons were folded just this way. Don’t have a clue why they folded them in this particular way. There must have been a reason.
    Chaim Rubin (?) made them in Tel Aviv in 1944. Most of these were awarded to those who fought at Monte Cassino and during the Italian campaign.
    There are some that say there were two variations of the “Palestinian” crosses. The only difference is the length of suspension. The suspension of the cross in my collection is approximately 7.5 mm tall, and the ring is copper.

On the unusual suspension. If it is a period repair it was not made in Palestine. A decent job as for a period repair. Have no idea but perhaps a variation indeed.

Enjoy your weekend,
    Pit.

Thanks Pit. I'm inclined to think it's an old repair rather than a variant. If a repair it was very cleanly done.

Just curious, but why do you feel that if it is a period repair it was not made in Palestine?

Re the ribbon, you are right that many of these crosses have the ribbon just folded in half rather than how they are actually intended to be folded. I've seen the same thing although to a lesser degree with Monte Cassino crosses. I suppose the recipients just didn't know any better - ??.

Regards,
    Tony

?

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Thanks Pit. I'm inclined to think it's an old repair rather than a variant. If a repair it was very cleanly done.

Just curious, but why do you feel that if it is a period repair it was not made in Palestine? (...)
    Tony, a broken and/or missing suspension would be replaced with a "Palestine" suspension and re-soldered in Palestine.
    If your cross is not a variation it has a professional “western” replacement suspension. In the close-up pictures of the top arm the cross looks very clean to have been polished to remove the remains of the original suspension. Perhaps a repair done by a professional western jeweler.
    The chances are that someone had lost the original suspension and a jeweler used a standard western suspension to fix the cross. Gut feelings

Regards,
    Pit.

Hi Pit, thanks for your added comments.

Regards,
    Tony

Suspension from your KW is similar to suspension from that Medal Wojska that Geraldo had posted.

Good observation Mariusz. The ribbon pinback assembly is indeed the same. It seems to be a 2nd Corps thing as I’ve seen this unique system employed on other decorations attributed to the Anders bunch.

Regards,
    Tony

Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast