Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast

Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types

Article about: Dear friends, I would like to propose posting a new thread with regards to the Krzyz Waleczny or Cross of Valour. i love this medal it is a personal favourite of mine. What i hope hope to ac

Default Re: Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types

Hi Tony,

Can you tell me if the way in which the ribbon colours are set is important....i.e. Should my fathers type be a thick white band or a thick red band in the middle.

Once again, thank you for all your help.

Regards

Caroline

Quote by CarolinePaj View Post
    Should my fathers type be a thick white band or a thick red band in the middle.
    This is the correct medal type (from Tony's earlier post) and ribbon pattern for your father's award.

I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Hi Caroline, Stefan is correct, the colours are reversed from the pre-WW2 pattern.

As far as the cross itself, the “London type” Stefan posted is certainly appropriate to use as a replacement for your father’s original. These were also awarded within the Polish 2nd Corps. Although it seems the bulk of this type were issued in the immediate post war years, during the period when the 2nd Corps was being transferred from Italy to England (1946-47). They remains the most commonly seen variant on the collector market, and can typically be purchased for under $100.

Based on observation of genuine veteran groupings, the cross type that was awarded late wartime when the Polish forces moved up the Italian boot alongside the British 8th Army (1944-45) is the one posted below. As mentioned previously, these are attributed to being of Middle Eastern /Palestinian production, although I have heard it suggested that they might have been made in Italy. Anyway, as your father earned his Cross of Valour in July 1944, and providing he was awarded it while in Italy, this one is arguably the ‘most correct’. These typically sell for around $150 if on original issue ribbon, such as the one pictured.

Cheers,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hi Tony,

Again...thank you and Stefan too!

Please don't think that I am stupid when I say this.... but looking at the two pictures that you both posted.... I cannot tell the difference.

I will keep a look out for one that looks like either of the pictures.

Regards

Caroline

Hi Tony,

Again...thank you and Stefan too!

Please don't think that I am stupid when I say this.... but looking at the two pictures that you both posted.... I cannot tell the difference.

I will keep a look out for one that looks like either of the pictures.

Regards

Caroline
    Caroline, hi,

There is a Palestine made Cross of Valour on Ebay for just over $110, so within the price range Tony suggested.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POLAND-POL...item3374fb4cf6

My knowledge of the variants is minimal but I am sure Tony (or other members ) would be able to advise if this is the genuine article as unfortunately many repros exist.

If you find a Cross please post images here before you make your purchase so members can advise on authenticity
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

That’s a good looking cross and ribbon at a fair price. This variant is also entirely appropriate for Caroline to consider. This is the first official type manufactured for the Poles of the Independent Carpathian Rifles Brigade and the 2nd Corps fighting in the Mediterranean theater. While seemingly not as commonly seen in original groupings from the period of the battle of Monte Cassino and afterwards (at least from what I’ve observed), it is still a perfect replacement for Caroline to consider.

Over the weekend I’ll get around assembling a side by side view of these crosses to illustrate the differences for Caroline.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Please don't think that I am stupid when I say this.... but.... I cannot tell the difference.
    Not at all. Life is short and maybe it’s us collectors that are stupid for spending so much precious time obsessing about all of the little differences in these things.

Posted below are the last three variants discussed here. On the left is the “London” type, then the two “Palestinian” types, with the one on the right being the type Stefan posted most recently. You’ll now be able to pick out the variations in the shape, lettering, center shield, eagle, suspension, etc. Again, any one of these cross types would be suitable, although the two on the right are preferred, with the one in the middle being optimal IMO.

Cheers,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types  

Hi everyone!
    Hope you are all ok! Just would like to post a couple of photos of my Cross of Valour made by Spink & Son. Any idea what type according to Krogulec it might be?
    cheers

Hi Michael,

This cross is actually a Palestinian made variant, not a Spink. This type is pictured in the post just ahead of yours. It’s the cross on the far right of the group of three. For a Spink & Son KW see post #74. They appear very similar on casual glance, and the two are often confused. The quickest way I’ve found to differentiate them is in the cross arms, with the Palestinian cross having a more pronounced flared shape. The Spink arms are straighter with less of a curve.

Your Spink case is a seldom seen version with the button snap front. Nice one

Regards,
    Tony

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update.......!

Last Tuesday we went to the Sikorski Museum in London to see if I could find any information regarding my Father.... and I was amazed at the information that they hold. They managed to find the citation for my Father's Cross of Valour (I have a copy which I will post later after I have scanned it in) and they had some books which held the names of Polish war prisoners in Russia from 1939 - 1941. I found the camp my father was held in and his name was listed in that camps book...... I can tell you it was so sad to see books full of names knowing what these people had been through.

But I can't tell you how amazed I was when the man who keeps the archives came to me and told me that he had found my Father's citation, but more than that, in an upstairs room was a friend of my Father who fought with him in Italy........ would I care to meet him!!!!!! Of course I jumped at the chance and I spent a wonderful hour chatting about my Dad and the thing he had done.... his friend said he was a good friend and a good soldier.... I have to say that I cried many tears.... but it was so wonderful.

Today I received a letter from the Institute with a book called 16 Lwowski Batalion Strezelcow, sent by my fathers friend and he enclosed a letter informing me that he had located some photographs of my father in the Battalion Album which I will be making arrangement to go a view!

Just wanted to update you all and let you know that I missed that last ebay listing, but that I am still looking.... so please keep letting me know when you find one that is a good replacement for Dad's.

Regards to you all

Caroline

Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast