Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Discovery in Potenza Picena, former 4th Skorpion garrison.

Article about: Wow, fantastic find indeed! Yes, definitely amazing that it had survived all these decades. Well done on your part to have identified this knight thus ensuring it's continued survival! Re th

Default Re: Discovery in Potenza Picena, former 4th Skorpion garrison.

Quote by RoK View Post
    Sorry, my uncle from Canada sent me this picture from my grandpa during the war. It isn't good...
    Attachment 371498
    Hey Rosana your image does not display. Here is a little bit that I've found about your granddad.
    His Breast badge of 4th Skorpion Armoured Regiment is number 209.

Here's the translations of the medals Tony listed.
    KW - Krzyż Walecznych (Cross of Valor)
    KPMC - Krzyż Pamiątkowy Monte Cassino. (Memorial Cross of Monte Cassino)
    MW - Medal Wojska za Wojne 1939-45. (Army Medal for War 1939-45)

Chris, the image did display for me, and am attaching it below. Thanks for providing the added info re the decorations. Also posted below is a pic taken from a recent ebay sale showing these decorations in the event Rosana is not familiar with them. Left to right : MW, KPMC, KW
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Discovery in Potenza Picena, former 4th Skorpion garrison.   Discovery in Potenza Picena, former 4th Skorpion garrison.  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

That gives the information excellent context Tony, well done.
    Also found that her grandfather's Monte Cassino Cross - KPMC is No.29236
    His recipient or issue number was 248. I still struggle with Polish.

Chris........
    Last edited by ChrisW01; 07-16-2012 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Correction of cross number

RoK
    ?

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Hi Rosana, apologies for the mixup with your name! To add to the information Chris provided, here's an excerpt from the book "Waleczne Skorpiony: Barwa Pułku 4 Pancernego "Skorpion"., Volume 2" (Marek Wroński) that lists your grandfather along with his Polish decorations. He was awarded the Cross of Valour (KW), along with the Monte Cassino cross (KPMC), and the Polish Army Medal for WW2.

Regards,
    Tony
    Tony, thank you very much!! you have no idea what it means to me! I've heard him, the stories, about the war, how he knew my grandmather, about the countries that he knew during the war...but he never talked about his decorations. I love him, he was a wonderful grandpa, a wonderful man, and as I see he was a good soldier too. I really appreciate your help
    Best regards
    Ro.

RoK
    ?

Chris!! thank you too!!! can't believe it!! you made my sunday!!! I'm reading everything, amazing, I'm so exciting...
    thank youuuuuu, a big hug to you both from Buenos Aires!!

Quote by RoK View Post
    . . . I've heard him, the stories, about the war, how he knew my grandmather, about the countries that he knew during the war...but he never talked about his decorations. I love him, he was a wonderful grandpa, a wonderful man, and as I see he was a good soldier too. . .
    Hi again Ro, thanks for the feedback. We're always happy to help out. Thanks also for providing a glimpse into the character of your grandpa. He seems like so many of the veterans that I knew, friendly, humble, hard working individuals. Decent and respectable men and women. A truly great generation, and one that we all owe much to.

Although I've posted it before elsewhere on this forum, it's worth putting up again here for you to see the typical uniform insignia worn by the "Skorpions". You can see the collar badges and the 'sports club' badge that are contained in the frame your brother assembled. In your grandfather's portrait you can just make out the collar pennons, the Poland shoulder titles, and the 2nd Warsaw Armoured Division insignia on the left arm.

Best wishes with your continued hunt for information!

Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Discovery in Potenza Picena, former 4th Skorpion garrison.  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

You are most welcome!
    I wonder if your grandfather worked with or knew former General Bronislaw Rakowski? He moved to Argentina with non-commissioned officers of the 2nd Warsaw division headquarters. He was angry at Great Britain for betraying the Poles. He worked as a warehouseman and died in 1956.

Chris.....

RoK
    ?

Tony, thanks to you!!! I'm so happy to hear that there are men like you, keeping the memories of our dear polish relatives! Unfortunately I don't have more documents, we are building his steps...I got the marriage certificate, his arrival to Argentina...and some book. Here the picture of them, tell me if you need more details of them.
    Best regards!!
    Ro.Attachment 371593

Quote by RoK View Post
    Tony, thanks to you!!! I'm so happy to hear that there are men like you, keeping the memories of our dear polish relatives! Unfortunately I don't have more documents, we are building his steps...I got the marriage certificate, his arrival to Argentina...and some book. Here the picture of them, tell me if you need more details of them.
    Best regards!!
    Ro.Attachment 371593
    Could you please post that attachment Tony. Seems hit & miss viewing them for some odd reason.
    Chris.....

RoK
    ?

of course!! right now!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast