Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Discovery in Potenza Picena, former 4th Skorpion garrison.

Article about: Wow, fantastic find indeed! Yes, definitely amazing that it had survived all these decades. Well done on your part to have identified this knight thus ensuring it's continued survival! Re th

RoK
    ?

Default Re: Discovery in Potenza Picena, former 4th Skorpion garrison.

sorry, I wrote to Chris in the place of you...it is behind
    he told me you will appreciate a picture, here it is...Attachment 371594

Quote by RoK View Post
    of course!! right now!!
    Should have added when it's convenient, no rush.

RoK
    ?

omg!!!! I don't know the names of his buddies, but I know the same, my grandfather was angry with Great Britain and he didn't move alone!! they were living in San Martin, Buenos Aires, poles and italians as I know. Then he moved to Jose C. Paz with other cuple, a polish soldier married with an italian woman
    Almost the polish buddies were working around San Martin. did you hear about this city?

Was not aware of these migrations of Poles and their families within Argentina. There is little if nothing documented other than some immigrated to Argentina amongst other places. Very interesting! Being such a small group I imagine your grandfather knew him if not personally.

Chris...

RoK
    ?

- - Updated - -

Discovery in Potenza Picena, former 4th Skorpion garrison.could be interesting?
    Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Chris, the image did display for me, and am attaching it below. Thanks for providing the added info re the decorations. Also posted below is a pic taken from a recent ebay sale showing these decorations in the event Rosana is not familiar with them. Left to right : MW, KPMC, KW

RoK
    ?

Quote by ChrisW01 View Post
    Was not aware of these migrations of Poles and their families within Argentina. There is little if nothing documented other than some immigrated to Argentina amongst other places. Very interesting! Being such a small group I imagine your grandfather knew him if not personally.

Chris...
    My dad is sure, they were probably 7 or 8 men. A little group. is it possible that they didn't take the britain citizenship or anything like that? what was the problem exactly?

Could you please post that attachment Tony. Seems hit & miss viewing them for some odd reason.
    Chris.....
    Here you go Chris. Parts 1 and 2 of "Soldier-Driver" manuals, and a dictionary. And thank again for your kind words Ro

Cheers,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Discovery in Potenza Picena, former 4th Skorpion garrison.  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Quote by RoK View Post
    My dad is sure, they were probably 7 or 8 men. A little group. is it possible that they didn't take the britain citizenship or anything like that? what was the problem exactly?
    Being angry with Britain's betrayal they (the group) may have refused British citizenship on principal as well as out of anger and spite.
    Last edited by ChrisW01; 07-16-2012 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Clarification

RoK
    ?

They (the group) may have refused British citizenship on principal as well as out of anger and spite.
    thanks Chris!!! it wasn't clear for me...till now! good job!!

Actually guys, the Polish forces and their dependents in post WWII Great Britain were NOT automatically offered or granted British citizenship. Like my late father, former Polish servicemen and their dependents had to apply for "naturalisation" if they wanted to become British citizens and had to pass certain tests and swear loyalty to the King before they became "naturalised" British citizens.

One of the reasons that Poles emigrated to Argentina and Canada was that many Polish officers especially were of the "professional class" in Poland ie doctors, vets, dentists etc. before the war and had found that their Polish qualifications were not recognised in Britain to enable them to practice their professions in the UK and many were too old to learn English quickly enough to be able to re-study for lengthy British professional qualifications so they decided to emigrate to other countries who would accept them and their Polish qualifications. Britain still does not recognise many foreign professional qualifications and requires the retaking of UK exams or courses ... so it was not an anti-Polish policy of some kind at the time.

Also another reason that some Poles chose Argentina and Canada was because many were from the Polish landed-gentry and these Poles could not afford to buy sufficient land to form a viable estate in Britain on which to settle and were only able to get jobs as under-gardeners at country houses, stable-lads, animal husbandry and other lower status land jobs. However in contrast Argentina and Canada offered very cheap tracts of land for purchase or the opportunity to acquire land in the future more easily than was possible in Great Britain... not just for Poles but also for many former Nazis and war-criminals who flocked to Argentina and other South American countries!

So not necessarily a question of Poles refusing British citizenship out of principal, anger or spite. The question of British betrayal, or not, is too political and this is the wrong forum to debate that point more fully
    Last edited by StefanM; 07-16-2012 at 06:57 PM.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast