Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help requested about Polish Para Antoni Paszkiewicz & Showcase of his Badges

Article about: Hello All, This is my first post. I have recently started writing some short pieces for the family of Antoni Paszkiewicz, who served with the 1st Battalion, 1st (Polish) Independent Parachut

Default Help requested about Polish Para Antoni Paszkiewicz & Showcase of his Badges

Hello All,

This is my first post. I have recently started writing some short pieces for the family of Antoni Paszkiewicz, who served with the 1st Battalion, 1st (Polish) Independent Parachute Brigade. He was from Vilnius and arrived in Scotland via Iraq &, Palestine in June 1943. I have his service record, his diary from the period after his release in Russia in 1941 to his arrival in Scotland in 1943 and photos of his various badges. I have a couple of questions that I hope the experts here can help with and I'd like to also showcase his badges etc for your interest. I'd be grateful for any help.

So, my queries:
    1. His parachute badge number is 3767. Is is possible to identify when he qualified?
    2. He served with the 1st Battalion but did not drop at Arnhem; he was injured in a parachuting accident that summer. Is it possible to identify which company served with?
    3. Re the formation flash below (red circle, black centre) - does anyone know what it is?

Here are the photos:
    1. Embroidered cap badges.
    2. Used and unused collar badges.
    3. An unknown formation flash.
    4. Printed shoulder flashes.
    5. The reverse of his wings.
    6. The obverse of his wings.

Nick

Help requested about Polish Para Antoni Paszkiewicz & Showcase of his BadgesHelp requested about Polish Para Antoni Paszkiewicz & Showcase of his BadgesHelp requested about Polish Para Antoni Paszkiewicz & Showcase of his BadgesHelp requested about Polish Para Antoni Paszkiewicz & Showcase of his BadgesHelp requested about Polish Para Antoni Paszkiewicz & Showcase of his BadgesHelp requested about Polish Para Antoni Paszkiewicz & Showcase of his BadgesHelp requested about Polish Para Antoni Paszkiewicz & Showcase of his Badges

not normally one for putting the bonce above the parapet, badge 3767 would fall in with the November 1943 qualification allocation. the formation sign was introduced shortly after the occupation of Berlin in 1945. It was the distinguishing badge of the troops in the British sector of Berlin. 1 SBS were occupying troops in and around Bersenbruck, Germany until early January 1947.

Thanks very much. I had guessed at October 1943 based on another badge number seen on another site. I had thought it might be a Berlin formation flash but couldn't work out why he had it. You'll see that most of the badges are unworn. They were sent to him while he was in hospital recovering from a parachute accident.

Here's a photo of Toni Paszkiewicz in uniform:

Help requested about Polish Para Antoni Paszkiewicz & Showcase of his Badges

Very nice set. The British Troops Berlin formation patch - the red circle is supposed to represent the encircling Red Army troops

Hello Nick,
    The badge 3767 was probably issued in October or November 1943.

Earlier badge no 3723 was issued in daily order no 162 dated 8th of October 1943.
    Later badge no 3780 was issued in daily order no 174 dated 17th of November 1943.

Greetings
    Rafal

Hello Rafal,

Thanks very much for the info. That's very useful.

Nick