Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

IDed Polish 2nd Corps BD group.

Article about: Hi All, My first post here though some may recognize me from other forums after a absence. I picked up this Polish officers group on ebay. It came with allot of loose photos and 2 albums sho

Default IDed Polish 2nd Corps BD group.

Hi All,

My first post here though some may recognize me from other forums after a absence.

I picked up this Polish officers group on ebay. It came with allot of loose photos and 2 albums showing allot of civilian photos and a good amount of Polish soldiers.

There are also 2 passports that I am guessing are the veterans parents?

There is also a nice officers side cap (and pics of him wearing it) with wire backed rank stars and what looks to be a cast eagle.

The BD is tailored with the collar being modified and shoulder pads added. It has woven POLAND titles that I am guessing are either Italian or German made? There is also a great bullion 8th army patch and a Polish 2nd Corps patch. I have moved one rank pip to the left shoulder as there were 3 on the right and 2 missing from the left, I am hoping to try track down 2 to replace the missing ones.

I am wondering if there is any way of researching this veteran. Also any ideas on where the insignia were made.

Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoy this group.

Thanks
    Jason

Last ones for now. Let me know if you would like to see anything else.

Hi Jason! Welcome!

Thanks for showing the group.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hello jason

May I also welcome you to the Forum, I have done some searching and have found 3 Rozankowski who served in the Polish Army from 1918-1945

1) Porucznik (Lieutenant) inz. (Engineer) Aleksander Rozanowski, Born 26th August 1885. a Reserve Officer of 8 Engineering Battalion, in 1934 he was living in Starogard.

2) Jozef Rozanowski, Born 12th April 1892 in Turkey, Mothers Name Joanna Fathers Name Jan, fought in the Polish Legions then in 1PPLeg (1st Legion Infantry Regiment) after 1918.

3) Porucznik Michal Rozankowski, Born 1910, served in Polish 2nd Corps, Army Number: 1910-151-III, Unit: 22nd Transport Company, awarded the Monte Cassino Cross Numbered: 43980.

Unfortunately that was all that I could find on any Rozankowski.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hi Ade, thank you very much and sorry for dropping off the face of the earth for so long.

Andrzej, thank you so much for your help! It looks like I might need to try do some more research and see if I can narrow it down.

The passports are for Jozef Rozankowski, born 29.5.1869 and Karolina Rozankowski born 11.XI.1882 so will have to see if these are the parents of any of these soldiers. Will have to do some digging into Michal Rozankowski as the Polish 2nd corps connection matches and he appears to have the Monte Cassino cross in the photo.

If anyone wants to see them I will try to put up some of the photos in the albums, there are a couple of female polish soldiers too.

Thanks
    Jason

Hi Jason and welcome aboard. Thanks for sharing your new acquisition.

To answer your questions about where the insignia were made, the shoulder titles are said to be from British Mandate Palestine, where the majority of wartime 2nd Corps issue insignia originated. The 8th Army shield is probably of Italian origin. IMO the nicest of the many different types produced. And this one is in top condition. There’s also no hard-and-fast info on the 2nd Corps mermaid flash either, but I’ve long thought this type of be of British manufacture, early post war based on similarity of construction to other post war made insignia for veterans returning to the UK after demobilization. You can see in the photos that this officer is wearing another BD blouse from this one, so perhaps this one was prepared from existing and new insignia after arrival in the UK? And speaking of the BD blouse, it has the look of an Australian or New Zealand product. Are there any manufacturer labels inside?

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hi Tony,

Thank you very much for your help! I try to focus on the North African/Italian theater and thought the 8th army had the look of a Italian made piece and is absolutely stunning. The news on the shoulder titles is new to me so thank you, learn something new everyday. Also thank you for the help on the 2nd corps flash, that makes sense to me this being a different BD to the ones pictured I am guessing this one was made for demob and has been extensively re tailored.

With the re tailoring there are no markings left besides the crows foot CM. I compared it to my New Zealand BD and the construction is similar but not the same. The NZ blouse was made in 41 and I guess this one would be a late war blouse so New Zealand manufacture is a possibility.

Thanks again for your help.

Jason