Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

joseph Tyszko, F/O

Article about: Information gained form http://members.tripod.com/~marcin_w/index-decs.html The Military Cross was instituted in 1914 as a decoration for the Army, which according to a decree from 1931 may

ccj
    ?

Default joseph Tyszko, F/O

Does anyone have information on Joseph Tyszko?

ccj
    ?

Default Re: joseph Tyszko, F/O

I have the following from searching the internet.

Tyszko, Jozef, P/O 301 Bomber Sqn- Polish Sqn
    TYSZKO, Joseph, F/L- AFC - 24 Sqn- Polish
    AFC award after war
    Polish Valor with bar
    MC

ccj
    ?

Tunic with Pilot badge and ribbons. Polish eagle buttons.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture joseph Tyszko, F/O   joseph Tyszko, F/O  

Intresting combination of awards. The Military Cross is a "army" award, i know when it was awarded to RAF personel it was mostly for those that escaped from POW camps and made it back to England. You definitly need to contact the Sikorski Inst. to find out.
    The Africa star was awarded to Polish Air Force pilots who served in the Polish Fighting team, Polish pilots in the RAF shark squadron and polish pilots in transport command. As a guess, i would say he was a transport command pilot in africa, got the MC there, then was transferred to 301 sqd and flew with them for a while, hence the Krzyz Walecznych. After the war he stayed in the RAF and got the AFC for services there.
    The problem is, if he was in 301 Sqd he woudn't have got a Aircrew Europe star with clasp France and Germany or Atlantic, 301 Sqd did not qualify for the clasp as they served from 1943 in Italy... Bit of a weird one that needs research.

ccj
    ?

There is mention of Tyszko and the crew of his plane being shot down in Europe and his escape back to England. I'll try to find that RAF site again as it mentioned their ranks, names, and squadron.
    Thanks for your reply. The MC may have been awarded for his actions after being shot down. I think he was in England then transferred to Afrika then again back to England.

I started looking around polish sites and found a email link to his brother, zbigniew_tyszko@poczta.onet.pl

Heres a link to the site, if you speak polish, its a history of 301 sqd:
    301 Dywizjon Bombowy "Ziemi Pomorskiej" - Ksiêga goœci

Other info i found is at some point he became a dakota pilot, not he was shot down in 1942 whilst in 301 Sqd, hence the KW and Aircrew star. Now if got back to England, most probably he was posted to 24 sqd and flew dakotas to Nth africa, and after D-day hence the africa star and clasp to ACE star.
    Its starting to make more sense ;-)
    Good luck with the contact to his brother...

ccj
    ?

Thanks, I just fired off an email to his brother. I hope it is rewarding for both he and I.

Here's a picture of his Flight Blouse.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture joseph Tyszko, F/O   joseph Tyszko, F/O  

ccj
    ?

Oh yeah, his post war SD that I'm still in process of acquiring. SOmeone removed the rank on the sleeves.
    Attached Images Attached Images joseph Tyszko, F/O  joseph Tyszko, F/O 

ccj
    ?

Quote by ccj View Post
    Thanks, I just fired off an email to his brother. I hope it is rewarding for both he and I.

Here's a picture of his Flight Blouse.
    What does the Silver Polish Merit Cross look like? Is it enameled or nice the Bronze badge but silvered?

ccj
    ?

It's obvious that Joseph Tyszko had a very distinguished career in the air force. I do hope to honor him by creating a biography of him and acquiring his uniform collection which will hopefully stay together forever.
    I don't know if he had "POLAND" tabs on this early SD that boast his Polish wings and wartime awards. I've been many photos where Pols didn't have tabs but most did. I'll search til I find a matching set to restore the tunic if I need to.
    The person I obtained these form also has an RAF side cap of Tyszko's but it has RAF officer's wing and crown. I'd be tickled pink if I could find a nice Polish PAF/RAF cap for the display.

He was definitely in the 301 Sqn and the 24 Sqn. He was awarded French awards so maybe he served briefly in France in 1940.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast