Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

June 18, 1940

Article about: June 18, 1940: The French government asks for an armistice with Nazi Germany five weeks after the invasion of France. General Wladyslaw Sikorski, Commander-in-Chief of Polish forces fighting

Default June 18, 1940

June 18, 1940: The French government asks for an armistice with Nazi Germany five weeks after the invasion of France. General Wladyslaw Sikorski, Commander-in-Chief of Polish forces fighting in France, refuses to surrender with the French and arrives in London to arrange the evacuation of his troops to the UK.

On the same day, Zdzislaw Hennenberg (who later became a 303 Squadron ace) led his flight group of three fighters and a transport across the English Channel —the only Polish unit to fly their aircraft from France to Britain.

I wonder what happened to the aircraft Hennenberg's flight brought with them?
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Default Re: June 18, 1940

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    . . . I wonder what happened to the aircraft Hennenberg's flight brought with them?
    According to this site 1/33 Bloch MB-152 Henneberg-RAF Paper Model

“ When France fell, Henneberg and two other pilots flew their fighters to England. Repainted with RAF roundels, the Bloch was flown briefly for local defense and technical evaluation, before being grounded by a lack of spares. “

Pictured here with RAF markings:

June 18, 1940

. . . which leads to the question, what happened to the Bloch MB-152’s after being grounded?

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    According to this site 1/33 Bloch MB-152 Henneberg-RAF Paper Model

“ When France fell, Henneberg and two other pilots flew their fighters to England. Repainted with RAF roundels, the Bloch was flown briefly for local defense and technical evaluation, before being grounded by a lack of spares. “

Pictured here with RAF markings:

June 18, 1940

. . . which leads to the question, what happened to the Bloch MB-152’s after being grounded?

Cheers,
    Tony
    Good point! I will contact the RAF museum archive to see if they can provide the answer...will report back
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

I might hazard a guess at scrapped and recycled based on the situation at the time and shortly after.

More likely to have been used as instructional airframes for ground crew training before actual scrapping-this was common at the time, given the influx of new trainees and the lack of 'modern' airframes to practice on.

I heard that on landing in England an RAF officer told them that the aircraft were French property and they must take them back....!!

I'm joking of course....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.