Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 74 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 57 ... LastLast

Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!

Article about: Beautiful displays, you have just raised the level of display quality. For me it is going back to make maybe new display. I love your 2KW, and VM.

Default Re: Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum!

Do you actually want the medals mounted like they were for wearing? If so, I don't know where you can get this done in Canada, as I am in the UK, but there are several places in the UK which offer this service. I am sure military tailors would offer this service?

Cheers, Ade.

DaveC
    ?

Quote by 3mk View Post
    Is there a framing company any where you live?A friend of mine got his done there and the result is amazing!But its kind of pricey just to frame something it costed him $150 but the result is truely amazing.
    You must be proud of your Grandfather.
    I am exceptionally proud of my Grandfather. Especially since doing the research on Monte Cassino (that medal is one of the new additions not pictured.

I have thought about framing, but my brother-in-law (a carpenter among other trades) has offered to build the box out of mahogany.

I guess the question I'm asking is how do I attach the medals/badges to the backing? I was thinking about drilling through the corkboard (that's behind the flag) and wiring it through to the back.

And BTW, Google Translate is a fairly decent translator, and free.

3mk
    ?

Im not sure how to attach the medals but im also looking forward to get my medals done.About the Monte Cassino medal did you buy it at a Polish militaria fair?You live in Toronto and somethings giving me a feeling you bought your Monte Cassino cross there XD

Thanks for reminding me about online translators!I forgot about them.

?

Dave, ... a couple of things ...
    1st off, I think your grandfather would also qualify for the Polish war medal (Medal Wojska 1939-45).
    (It can be seen here ...
    Polish war medals and decorations)

2nd .... Your grandfather was awarded the military version of the Cross of Merit. .....
    There might (and I mean MIGHT) .. be his original basic citation still in existance.
    If it does exist, it will be held at the Sikorski Institute in London.

The Polish Institute and Sikorski Museum, 20 Princes Gate, London SW7 1PT

If you write to them, .. and if they have the citation, they will copy it for you.
    .. This would take some time as the Institute is run on a voluntary basis .... and donations no matter how small are always appreciated if they can help you ..
    I would suggest writing to them, with what details you have of your grandfathers, as they MIGHT ?? be able to furnish a few more minor details ..

Gary J.

Quote by DaveC View Post
    I'm hoping there's someone who frequests these pages that might be able to help. I'm collecting the medals and badges awarded to my grandfather, and creating a shadow box display for my father who has been lamenting for years that he doesn't have the medals my grandfather was buried with. As I'm almost finished the collecting part, I've run into a problem: how do I mount them? What do I attach them to? I'll try to attach a photo of where I'm at now (but without the 3 articles I've received since I took the photo)

Any assistance would be immensely appreciated!

DaveC
    ?

Strangely enough, the MC Cross is in short supply on this side of the pond. I found a replica in London.

DaveC
    ?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Dave, welcome to the forum!

Do you actually want the medals mounted like they were for wearing? If so, I don't know where you can get this done in Canada, as I am in the UK, but there are several places in the UK which offer this service. I am sure military tailors would offer this service?

Cheers, Ade.
    At the moment I don't have a preference as to how they're mounted. I was thinking to have the Cross of Merit alone in the left, and the other 6 in two groups of three. I did manage to find mounting bars for this purpose.

DaveC
    ?

And Gary, thanks for the information. I will definately contact them!!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I had heard of the Polish plastic insignia before but not the background to the story. Great!
    Hi again Ade,

This ‘harmonica factory’ episode is something I’ve always pursued more information about. Some say it was an accordion factory, but I am now quite certain it was in fact a place where harmonicas were manufactured. Some years ago I tried to search out all the accordion and harmonica producers in Italy, but the effort did not yield much.

The myriad of plastic insignia produced is a study unto itself and would be fertile ground for a discussion thread of its own.

Best,
    Tony

Quote by 3mk View Post
    I think thats the best collection ive ever seen!

Whats your favorite item in your collection?

One last question on the glass shelf with rogatywka cap and what looks like a calavary cap with a yellow band,Theres a black cap at the bottom just on top of the British helmet, what kind of cap is it?

Thanks!
    Hi again 3mk, and thanks for your kind words. I can assure you that there are certainly better and more organized collections out there. But I count myself very fortunate to have acquired what I have – especially at a time when things were still somewhat affordable. With three kids to feed and clothe, car and house payments, etc - the sudden steep spike in Polish militaria values over the past few years has all but priced me out of the market. Collecting now is at a much slower pace.

As far as favourite item – that’s a tough call. I have a particular affinity for my pre-war Polish wz.35 Vis “eagle” pistol. Acquisition of this legendary firearm was a milestone, and dream come true as I had to find one of these rare pieces in Canada. Importing firearms is just about impossible with our very strict gun laws. Visible in one of the pictures is an Obwieszczenie Mobilizacji mobilization poster dated Thursday August 31, 1939 – I love that piece for its historic significance, not to mention rarity. I also have various items pertaining to Polish generals that I treasure (award documents, signed books, etc).

The hat you are asking about is a WW2 period Polish Air Force Officer’s SD cap made by Moss Brothers. You are correct about the yellow banded cap. That’s a cavalry NCO wz.27 ‘soft top’ rogatywka.

Must run . . . Gotta get back to work . . .

Tony

3mk
    ?

Its a shame to see how British,German,American and Canadian militaria is mostly cheap and how Polish militaria is so expensive.The only more organized and bigger collection i can think of is a museum but i have to say yours is organized.Finding a pre-war Radom Vis pistol in Canada!Where did you find it!
    Thanks for telling me about the what kind of cap that is.

Page 7 of 74 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 57 ... LastLast