Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Market Garden Krzyz Walecznych

Article about: as indicated by our fellow contributor A J Z, this type of cross has elevated status. however, in this case it was awarded to a humble OR

Default Market Garden Krzyz Walecznych

as indicated by our fellow contributor A J Z, this type of cross has elevated status. however, in this case it was awarded to a humble OR
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Market Garden Krzyz Walecznych   Market Garden Krzyz Walecznych  

?

Default Re: Market Garden Krzyz Walecznych

There were approx. 180 KW's awarded for "Market-Garden", ... My late father amongst them.
    Most of the citations have been "lost to history", and from my own research, just over 40 still exist, of which, around 20 give proper detail to the reasoning for the award, the rest are vague..... unfortunately.

If you PM me with the name of the recipient, I can check to see if I have a copy of his citation !

Gary J.

Default Re: Market Garden Krzyz Walecznych

Quote by prosty zolnierz View Post
    as indicated by our fellow contributor A J Z, this type of cross has elevated status. however, in this case it was awarded to a humble OR
    Hi PZ,
    I don’t recall ever stating that this cross (made by Spink & Son Ltd.) was any more special than any of the other Cross of Valour types. It is merely one of several variants produced during WW2, all of which were awarded uniformly throughout the ranks. Perhaps you are referring to my mention of the Spink crosses ordered by the Government in Exile to award to members of the French military for the French Campaign of 1940. In that instance it was the fitted case that was the special feature.

Anyway, nice cross you have there, with its correct issue ribbon and distinctive Spink pin fastening. You may recall the announcement of the book project devoted to the Polish Cross of Valour. Both this one and Gary’s father’s KW are candidates for inclusion if they can be positively verified as being the originally awarded crosses and are accompanied by issue documents. One of the objectives of the book is to chronicle exactly when and where certain variants of the cross were awarded, and what types of documents accompanied them.

Book project - krzyz walechnych

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne