Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 45 of 536 FirstFirst ... 35 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 55 95 145 ... LastLast

Monte Cassino cross

Article about: I dont htink about this like a collection maybe it is naive but it is a part of my family and describe the brave men which hard to find these days.Some award documents.tedAttachment 356198At

Dear Mark,

With regards to your email regards Osp or Osr it is Osr , apologies I have Cataracts and at times it is hard to read.

Best wishes

Andrzej

?

Dear Andrzejku,

Thank you for the update. I’m pleased about Osr... that's a load of my mind. I shall be working on that in the morning but in the meantime I have been approached with an enquiry from a lady about her maternal grandfather “Gerhard Glentz - Private First Class 11th Battalion, 2nd Polish Corps, Monte Cassino” 11th Battalion? I’m fairly sure the 11th Battn/5th Kresowa was not at Cassino. Was he in Signals? Would it be possible to locate his MCC#. As always, any help you can provide would be gratefully appreciated.

Best regards, Mark Ostrowski

Dear Mark,

With regards to your email regarding Pplk. dypl. Feliks Henryk Machnowski (Born 20th November 1896) VM5, KW 3, KZ sr., It does look as if he was awarded 2 MCC Nr: 747 (2nd Corps HQ) & 15259 (5th Wilno Infantry Brigade HQ). But he does not appear on list of Soldiers awarded the MCC that were duplicated. ?

With regards to Lance Corporal Gerhard Glentz, I have been able to glean the following information: Born 24th September 1911, Fathers Name: Ignacy, Army Number (also found on his ID Tags): 1911-73-III, Unit: 11 Baon Lacznosci (11th Signals Battalion) Gerhard served with them from 1944-1945, he was at Monte Cassino and awarded the MCC Nr: 40602.

Gerhard Glentz was deported in 1940 from Brzeska, he was transported to Archangle arrivng there on the 27th February 1940 and was listed at Aktubinsk on 21st December 1941.

After the War he came to the United Kingdom and died in Nottingham in 1971.

That is all the information that I could find for Gerhard Glentz.

Best wishes

Andrzej

?

Dear Anrdejku, Yes the Machnowski case is interesting.

Thank you for the Glentz info. I have passed it on.

As always, thank you for your help.

Best regards, Mark

?

Monte Cassino cross
    Monte Cassino cross
    Monte Cassino cross
    Monte Cassino cross
    Monte Cassino cross
    Monte Cassino cross
    Monte Cassino cross
    click to enlarge...

With Compliments, Mark Ostrowski

throw your caps in the air for the gang !

?

I would like to add my heart-felt thanks to Andrzejku and Mark for all their hard work and effort with the information on the Monte Cassino Cross roll.
    Regarding MCC 18402 to Jan Sobol, 16 LBS who apparently ends up as St. Wachmstr in the unit with the Cross of Merit with swords twice. He also is listed as a subscriber to the unit history "Kronika 16 Lwowski Batalion Strzelcow" {see the book list}. My Question is, would he have been given two crosses and worn them both, or was there a 'bar' for this medal as per the Cross of Valour?
    I've never come across this issue before so hopefully somebody can help.
    My very best regards to all,
    Dragon

Dear Dragon,

In answer to your question regarding the award of a 2nd Cross of Merit with swords, would the recipient receive another Cross or a Bar as per the Cross of Valour?

The Cross of Merit with Swords was founded by Presidential decree, of the Allied Polish Government on 19th October 1942, the 1923 Statutes of foundation of the Cross of Merit being appropriately amended.

The Cross of Merit with Swords was instituted as an award during the course of the Second World War in recognition of deeds of courage and bravery but not necessarily in direct contact with the enemy. It was also awarded for Services rendered to the Polish State or its Citizens in particularly dangerous circumstances.

The Cross of Merit with Swords takes precedence over the Cross of Merit of the same Class.

The Insignia are identifical to the Cross of Merit with the addition of crossed swords between the Cross and the ribbon.

The decoration of the same Class could be awarded four times to the same person, subsequent awards were indicated by a metal bar (5mm deep) of the same metal as the class which was awarded. The service ribbon on the uniform carried miniature crossed swords emblems in the metal of the class awarded. The President of the Republic conferred the Gold Cross of Merit with Swords on civilians and the Chairman of the Council of Ministers conferred the Cross in silver and in bronze.

In the Armed Forces the Cross of Merit with Swords was conferred in all classes by the Supreme Commander-in-Chief.

The above information was taken from the Booklet "Polonia Restituta" and the Article on Polish Awards by Krzysztof Barbarski.

I hope that the above answers your question.

Best wishes

Andrzej

p.s. If you ever visit the Polish Institute and General Sikorski Museum, make a point of visiting General Anders Study with his awards on display, he was awarded the Gold Cross of Merit with Swords with 3 Bars.

Hello Dragon,

Just in case you can not make it to the sikorski a photograph of General Anders awards including his Gold Cross of Merit with Swords with 3 Bars.

Monte Cassino cross

Best wishes

Andrzej

p.s. click on Photograph to enlarge in a new window

?

Monte Cassino cross
    Dear Andrzej,
    You are a star, Sir, thank-you for such a thorough answer to my question. So it seems then that the same type of bar was used for multiple awards to the Cross of Merit with swords as for the Cross of Valour, and the War Medal for all three services with, simply, an adjustment in metal according to the Class, i.e. the metallic content of the award/medal. In the meantime I did a trawl of the internet and brought up the result illustrated which shows a bar of slightly different design for the Cross of Merit, very un-adorned, no acorns in the centre or oak leaf spray. I have to say I think your answer makes far more sense from a manufacturer and supply point of view. So is this illustration fanciful or another version possibly? Anyway, once again, my thanks.
    Best regards to all,
    Dragon

Page 45 of 536 FirstFirst ... 35 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 55 95 145 ... LastLast