Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 85 of 536 FirstFirst ... 35 75 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 95 135 185 ... LastLast

Monte Cassino cross

Article about: I dont htink about this like a collection maybe it is naive but it is a part of my family and describe the brave men which hard to find these days.Some award documents.tedAttachment 356198At

Hi guys,

My great-grandfather lance corporal Suchojda Jan took part in Monte Cassino battle too (regiment 4th armoured "Skorpion", 2 squadron, MCC #29561). May be any of you could help me with the definition of the tank on which he served?
    In his Zeszyt Ewidencyjny I found the signature of por. Mieczyslaw Hopko and guessed that it is Sherman named "Pantera".
    If somebody has the list of tank's crews in 2 squadron - please share.
    Thank you in advance!

Br,
    Artiom
    Minsk, Belarus

Default Hello.....

Hi guys,

[/QUOTE]My great-grandfather lance corporal Suchojda Jan took part in Monte Cassino battle too (regiment 4th armoured "Skorpion", 2 squadron, MCC #29561). May be any of you could help me with the definition of the tank on which he served? [/QUOTE]

Hello Artiom and welcome to the forum.

It’s always great to meet someone who had a relative in the "Skorpion” 4th Armoured Regiment, my uncle Michal Krzywoszanski was in No.3 Squadron. Having obtained my uncle’s army records, collecting books and researching the regiment I have yet to come across lists of ‘tank crews’ in each squadron only individual names per squadron and crew commanders of named tanks. The most authoritative books written about the Skorpions is by Marek Wronski , Wladyslaw Tylka and Zbigniew Lalak (the first 2 authors have extensive details, no crew lists). Could I trouble you to post an image of your grandfather or contact me privately? I would like to see if he is in any of the books I have and my uncle’s album. Don’t know if you have seen this picture but have attached an image of Lt. Hopko’s tank crossing a bridge during the Ancona operation.

Regards
    Chris……
    Monte Cassino cross
    Monte Cassino cross

Quote by ChrisW01 View Post
    Hi guys,
    My great-grandfather lance corporal Suchojda Jan took part in Monte Cassino battle too (regiment 4th armoured "Skorpion", 2 squadron, MCC #29561). May be any of you could help me with the definition of the tank on which he served? [/QUOTE]

Hello Artiom and welcome to the forum.

It’s always great to meet someone who had a relative in the "Skorpion” 4th Armoured Regiment, my uncle Michal Krzywoszanski was in No.3 Squadron. Having obtained my uncle’s army records, collecting books and researching the regiment I have yet to come across lists of ‘tank crews’ in each squadron only individual names per squadron and crew commanders of named tanks. The most authoritative books written about the Skorpions is by Marek Wronski , Wladyslaw Tylka and Zbigniew Lalak (the first 2 authors have extensive details, no crew lists). Could I trouble you to post an image of your grandfather or contact me privately? I would like to see if he is in any of the books I have and my uncle’s album. Don’t know if you have seen this picture but have attached an image of Lt. Hopko’s tank crossing a bridge during the Ancona operation.

Regards
    Chris……
    Monte Cassino cross
    Monte Cassino cross[/QUOTE]

Hello Chris,

Thank you so much for your reply and attached pictures.
    I have one book about "Skorpion" by Zbigniew Lalak and several about Monte Cassino battle in the whole but found nothing regarding tank crews.
    It would be great if you find something about my great-grandfather in your sources!
    Please find his image below:
    Monte Cassino cross

Hello Andrzejku,

Could you please tell me what is the MCC number for Cpl Michal Kiedel?
    Thank you

Best wishes for 2016

Hello Artiom
    Looked though my uncle’s album and did not recognize the image of your great-grandfather, also checked my other books only his name, rank, awards and squadron number are listed. The picture you posted appears to be a painting do you have any photos of him or group photos you care to share. I have attached a group image, my uncle is leaning on the squadron sign, recognize anyone? Don’t know if it’s mentioned in your great-grandfather’s records that you have but his Skorpion Breast badge (black cross) number was 528.
    Monte Cassino cross

Hello Propatria,

Many thanks for your post, in answer to your question Kapral Michal Kiedel was awarded the MCC Numbered: 34620

Hope that this helps you.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Thanks so much Andrzejku

Quote by ChrisW01 View Post
    Hello Artiom
    Looked though my uncle’s album and did not recognize the image of your great-grandfather, also checked my other books only his name, rank, awards and squadron number are listed. The picture you posted appears to be a painting do you have any photos of him or group photos you care to share. I have attached a group image, my uncle is leaning on the squadron sign, recognize anyone? Don’t know if it’s mentioned in your great-grandfather’s records that you have but his Skorpion Breast badge (black cross) number was 528.
    Monte Cassino cross
    Hello Chris,

Unfortunately this picture is the only one I have. Others were made after the WW2.

The original picture is very old and I made some kind of retouch to update and refresh it.

That’s why it seems like painting.

Thanks a lot for Skorpion Breast badge number - this information is very useful.

Could you please tell me in what books did you find the mention of my relative (name, rank, awards)?

I would like to find it and make scan copies for my own archive.

Br,
    Artiom

Hey Artiom

Will look through my books for any other mention of your great grandfather.

Contact Michal at - Polish Arms <contact@polisharms.com> he is in Poland
    and was able to obtain for me the books listed which are still in print.

Waleczne Skorpiony : z dziejów Pulku 4 Pancernego "Skorpion" (1942-1947) / Wladyslaw Tylka. T. 1.
    Waleczne Skorpiony : barwa Pulku 4 Pancernego "Skorpion". T. 2 / Marek Wronski.
    Waleczne Skorpiony : barwa Pulku 4 Pancernego "Skorpion". T. 3 / Marek Wronski.

They are also listed here as well for your reference.
    https://opacwww.bs.katowice.pl/32101...arw.html?ln=EN

Chris......

?

Hello everyone, hi Andrzej,
    Pleased to let you know that I have bought the MCC#14199 - according to the info from the posts above, it was awarded to Cavalryman Paweł Żmuda, unit: 12PULP, who was killed in action on the 9th July 1944 and after the war his body was moved to the Polish War Cemetery in Loreto and buried in grave: 7-D 13. Roman Sokołowski, of the same unit, was killed on the same day - I wonder how they both died, whether it was in the same action... This was just before the Battle of Ancona, maybe someone knows anything more.
    Attached you can see the picture of the cross - it seems genuine and overall in a good condition (weight with two rings and without the ribbon – 11,44 g, total 13,84 g). If someone has any further info about Pawel Zmuda, maybe a picture of his grave in Loreto, please share!

Monte Cassino crossMonte Cassino crossMonte Cassino crossMonte Cassino cross

Kind regards,
    Bano

Page 85 of 536 FirstFirst ... 35 75 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 95 135 185 ... LastLast