Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

monte cassino cross

Article about: hello, new member here !, I am interested in military and family history ( grandfather fought on the western front ww1 and father fought in n.africa and Italy in ww2) I usually collect small

jwp
    ?

Default Re: monte cassino cross

just to say , this medal will stay within my family, I am too sentimental to sell it on !, I am proud to consider myself as custodian of it. here is a pic of my dad after cassino taken in Egypt 1944, note Africa star ribbon and first army clasp.
    thanks to all for your help,
    best wishes,
    John.monte cassino cross
    Last edited by jwp; 06-29-2013 at 05:49 PM.

Hello John, good to hear that you'll hold onto this cross. As Andrzejku said, it's a particularly fine example that has survived in top condition. Thank you for sharing the photo of your father. At Cassino these brave men went through hell on earth. While the D-Day landings and Stalingrad, among others, have rightfully seen the spotlight in post-war historical analysis, this has overshadowed the events of this monumental battle which over a four month span saw over 350,000 casualties. It easily ranks up there as one of the toughest and bloodiest battles of World War II.

monte cassino cross

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

jwp
    ?

thanks tony, your comments are much appreciated, the chaps in Italy became known as D-day dodgers !, attached are some copies of the famous song, these came home with dad, I think the Italian campaign was known as 'the soft underbelly' my dad and other veterans called it a tough old gut !!,
    best wishes,
    John.monte cassino crossmonte cassino cross

jwp
    ?

Just thought I would add this pic I found on the web, Andrzejku kindly identified my Monte Cassino cross as belonging to :

Surname: PRZYCHODNY

Christian Name: Jozef

Date of Birth: 1924

Army Number (also found on his ID Tags): 1924-83-III

Unit: z 11 Baon Lascznosci (11th Signals Battalion, 2nd Corps)

would be nice to think he may be amongst these brave young men of the 11th signals pictured here in Italy in 1944,
    kind regards,
    John.monte cassino cross

I would like to know if there is a MCC listed for
    Wasyl Wakulicz.
    ambulance driver in the 29th unit?

Hello Elzunia GO,

Many thanks for your post, re Wasyl Wakulicz when awarded the Monte Cassino Cross his details were as follows :

Surname : Wakulicz

Christian Name : Wasyl

Date of Birth : 1906

Army Number (also found on His ID Tags) : 1906-60-III

Unit : 29KSS

Monte Cassino Cross Numbered : 45315

I hope that the above information is of some use and help to you Elzunia.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Is there any record for a Jozefa Dubaniewicz born 1884?

Hello Elzunia GO,

Many thanks for your Post, I have checked the Recipients Register and have found 3 x Dubaniewicz Józef's Listed 2 x Born in 1909 and the other in 1910.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hi Andrzej

It was a woman Jozefa we were looking for but I have no idea if she was in the army.

I will explain this mystery:
    one of the members on my Pestki facebook group, Pat Hemphill, posted a photo of her grandmother's MCC.

But on checking the number, this turned out to belong to
    st.strz. Dubaniewicz Józef
    1909/107
    MCC nr 17105
    15 Wileński Batalion Strzelców "Wilków"
    This person has no connection with her family and she has no idea where the cross came from. Some kind of mix-up somewhere.

So we are trying to find his family to return the cross and maybe they have the missing one.

Pat had found a reference to Jozefa Dubaniewicz born 1884, died 1960. She was from Vilnius. Pat's grandmother was Komandantka of a woman's rifle unit and also lived in Vilnius. This is before the war. The women of this unit trained with the men in the army. So we are wondering if this is the connection. Had they maybe met at some veteran get-together and the crosses got mixed up???

The grandmother was in 316 Transport Co, along with my mum. They were "forgotten" in 1945 and only received their crosses and Legytymacja in 1980. monte cassino cross

Any ideas how we should proceed?

Elzunia

Hello Elzunia,

Th only information that I was able to find was for a Marriage in 1982 to Maria M Poplawska in Pwllheli, Caernarvonshire, Gwynedd.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast