Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Monte Cassino cross & award plus group - uniform patches, Italy Star, 1939-1945 Star, Defence Medal

Article about: Hi all, I was very happy to have found what (I think) is an incredible set of memorabilia after a Polish soldier. Huge thanks to forum member Andrzejeku98 for looking up details for me. Kapi

Default Monte Cassino cross & award plus group - uniform patches, Italy Star, 1939-1945 Star, Defence Medal

Hi all,

I was very happy to have found what (I think) is an incredible set of memorabilia after a Polish soldier. Huge thanks to forum member Andrzejeku98 for looking up details for me.

Kapitan (Captain) Stanislaw Smierzchalski was awarded the Monte Cassino Cross on 10th April 1945. He was a doctor in the 161 Military Hospital at Cambopasso. Stanislaw Smierzchalski was born on the 14th November 1896 and was promoted to Porucznik (first Lieutenant) on the 2nd January 1932.

This set comprises the Monte Cassino Cross with award, the patches from Kpt. Smierzchalski's uniform, the unit badge of the 2 Korpus Polski (Polish II Corps), as well as a set of decorations awarded to him by the Britsh government, comrising the 1939-1945 Star, the Italy Star and the Defence medal, along with the original box they were sent in (as well as the envelopes).

I will post the British awards in the appropriate forums as well, but thought they would be good here also, as the complete set.

All up, I feel honoured to have these items, and will try to get more information on Kpt Smierzchalski.

Entire set

Monte Cassino cross & award plus group - uniform patches, Italy Star, 1939-1945 Star, Defence MedalMonte Cassino cross & award plus group - uniform patches, Italy Star, 1939-1945 Star, Defence MedalMonte Cassino cross & award plus group - uniform patches, Italy Star, 1939-1945 Star, Defence Medal

Monte Cassino Cross

Monte Cassino cross & award plus group - uniform patches, Italy Star, 1939-1945 Star, Defence MedalMonte Cassino cross & award plus group - uniform patches, Italy Star, 1939-1945 Star, Defence MedalMonte Cassino cross & award plus group - uniform patches, Italy Star, 1939-1945 Star, Defence MedalMonte Cassino cross & award plus group - uniform patches, Italy Star, 1939-1945 Star, Defence MedalMonte Cassino cross & award plus group - uniform patches, Italy Star, 1939-1945 Star, Defence MedalMonte Cassino cross & award plus group - uniform patches, Italy Star, 1939-1945 Star, Defence MedalMonte Cassino cross & award plus group - uniform patches, Italy Star, 1939-1945 Star, Defence MedalMonte Cassino cross & award plus group - uniform patches, Italy Star, 1939-1945 Star, Defence Medal

2 Korpus Polski badge

Monte Cassino cross & award plus group - uniform patches, Italy Star, 1939-1945 Star, Defence MedalMonte Cassino cross & award plus group - uniform patches, Italy Star, 1939-1945 Star, Defence MedalMonte Cassino cross & award plus group - uniform patches, Italy Star, 1939-1945 Star, Defence MedalMonte Cassino cross & award plus group - uniform patches, Italy Star, 1939-1945 Star, Defence Medal

Uniform patches

Monte Cassino cross & award plus group - uniform patches, Italy Star, 1939-1945 Star, Defence MedalMonte Cassino cross & award plus group - uniform patches, Italy Star, 1939-1945 Star, Defence MedalMonte Cassino cross & award plus group - uniform patches, Italy Star, 1939-1945 Star, Defence MedalMonte Cassino cross & award plus group - uniform patches, Italy Star, 1939-1945 Star, Defence MedalMonte Cassino cross & award plus group - uniform patches, Italy Star, 1939-1945 Star, Defence Medal

British set

Monte Cassino cross & award plus group - uniform patches, Italy Star, 1939-1945 Star, Defence MedalMonte Cassino cross & award plus group - uniform patches, Italy Star, 1939-1945 Star, Defence MedalMonte Cassino cross & award plus group - uniform patches, Italy Star, 1939-1945 Star, Defence MedalMonte Cassino cross & award plus group - uniform patches, Italy Star, 1939-1945 Star, Defence Medal

1939-1945 Star

Italy Star

Monte Cassino cross & award plus group - uniform patches, Italy Star, 1939-1945 Star, Defence MedalMonte Cassino cross & award plus group - uniform patches, Italy Star, 1939-1945 Star, Defence MedalMonte Cassino cross & award plus group - uniform patches, Italy Star, 1939-1945 Star, Defence MedalMonte Cassino cross & award plus group - uniform patches, Italy Star, 1939-1945 Star, Defence MedalMonte Cassino cross & award plus group - uniform patches, Italy Star, 1939-1945 Star, Defence Medal

Defence Medal

so I was right.

A great grouping, super pick up, well done. Leon.

Wow! great group. The Maid of Warsaw is an unusual design I think. Very interesting.

James

?

I was about to post on your defence medal thread then saw the link at the top leading to this thread.

I know bugger all about Polish soldiers but that's a corker of a group, so much history when you think what he probably went through before getting to England. I thought the defence medal looked silver as opposed to cupro nickel but going to a UK address I suppose it must be cupro.

Tony

Thanks Tony, I was slackjawed when I saw it come up for sale from one of the places I regularly purchase war relics from. Easily my favourite of all the items I got so far!

jwp
    ?

superb group !

Quote by jamest8 View Post
    The Maid of Warsaw is an unusual design I think. Very interesting.

James
    Sharp eye James. Definitely an unusual one. I don't recall ever coming across this pattern before. Makes an already super grouping all that much more interesting.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Should I post some closeups of that?

Hold posting for a short while. The images already posted here are good. One of our members is about to launch a thread devoted to cloth insignia of the Polish exiled army. Same “database” concept as the badge and hat eagle threads. Good close up images of this patch will be a good addition there.

Cheers,
    T.
    Last edited by A.J. Zawadzki; 04-09-2015 at 10:29 PM.
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast