Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Was My father a Cichociemny ?

Article about: Hi members, My dad was a cichociemny and he died in 1994. I was only 12 years old at the time and didn't understand his role in the war until I was in high school, but my mom couldn't rememb

Default Re: Cichociemni (Polish SOE)

From what you have written, my guess is that your father could have been deported to USSR along with tens of thousands of other Poles to various Stalinst work camps and settlements. He was probably released under the so called 'amnesty' following the German invasion of the Soviet Union in 1941.

He migh then have joined the newly formed Polish Army in Russia, under Gen. W. Anders command and evactuated with the Polish army in 1942. He may then have volunteered for special duty when the Polish section of SOE was being set-up and the cichociemni trainees were recruited. The fact that your father's family had German connections and he could speak fluent German would have been a desirable asset to the SOE.

That he was in Africa, Palestine (now Israel) and Italy might mean he was with 2PolCorps and then recruited into Polish SOE whilst in Italy with Anders forces circa 1944. Polish SOE had trainning bases in Italy and many POlish SOE and cichociemni missions took off from Brisindi, Itlay. I have posted the Polish mission/flight logs earlier in this thread Cichociemni (Polish SOE) (these came from Kew).
    Last edited by StefanM; 07-02-2011 at 07:26 AM.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Quote by Cichociemny Kid View Post
    I'm hoping that someone who has a copy of Historia Polskiego Znaku Spadochronowego by J.Lorys could look up my father's name for me. . . . His name was Ryszard Aleksander Kruger; however he could also be listed as Ryszard Aleksander Oginski or possible Ryszard Aleksander Kruger-Oginski

His last name was originally Oginski, but it was changed at some point, possibly during the war. . . .
    Unfortunately no recipients named Kruger or Oginski or a combination thereof are listed.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

You could possibly try the "karta" ..... (Index of people deported by the Soviets) .... Although I've tried the "Oginski" name in an initial search, you can place a more in depth search in the "complete questionnaire" section ...

Gary J.

Unfortunately KARTA does not hold data for every deportee. It is possible that your father's record exists in Polish Army in USSR archive at PISM or Hoover in US but these are not electronic databases (or 100% complete) so you would need more background information to narrow down which physical files a researcher would need to look into.

It is entirely possible that he was recruited by the SOE for missions not connected with the Polish SOE section. The fact that he was a Pole(?) doesn't mean he had to be recruited under the Polish SOE section.

Some Belgian SOE files do exist in the British National Archives but are mainly operation specific rather than complete personnel lists:

Belgian SOE file HS04

There is a index of names file, Special Operations Executive: Registry: Belgium Nominal Index:

Belgian SOE nominal index

This file includes a Belgian Training Section list BUT the file can only be accessed 'under supervision'... maybe there are still some names that are not for public dissemination.

Contact details:
    The National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 4DU. Tel: +44 (0) 20 8876 3444.
    online:
    Contact us

Here are some photos of my dad during the war. For the one with the queen, my dad is the one she is looking at. Also, there are some photos of the patches we have from his uniform. I still have yet to get his medals.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Was My father a Cichociemny ?   Was My father a Cichociemny ?  

Was My father a Cichociemny ?   Was My father a Cichociemny ?  

The photo of the 'winged hussar' arm patch from your father's uniform shows that your father definitely served in the Polish 1st Armoured Division (1 Dywizja Pancerna )[/I] created in Sctoland in Feb 1942 and commanded by General Stanisław Maczek.

The road sign with Breda puts him in Belgium/Holland in 1944; Breda was liberated by Polish 1st Armoured Division in October 1944. I don't know enough about 1st Armoured to guess what colour combination the felt collar pennons in your father's studio portrait represent to give an opinion on which regiment of the 1st Armoured Division he served under.

But given the fact your father served with Polish 1st Armoured Division you should have a better chance of getting his complete service record from MoD archive for Polish servicemen, details below if you haven't already contacted them:

Army Personnel Centre

Polish Correspondence Section

Government Buildings

Bourne Avenue

Hayes

Middlesex

UB3 1RS
    Email: defencerecords.hayes@gtnet.gov.uk
    Phone: 0181-573-3831 FAX 0181-569-2751

When you have the photo of your father's service medals I think this will also be of help in tracing his service history.

Are you sure the soldier on the right of the King is your father? To me that soldier looks much fatter in the face, and older, when compared to your father's studio portrait?

King George and Queen Elizabeth visited Polish troops (10th Armoured) with Sikorski during March 1941 and I think this shot is from that visit...I don't think they visited Polish troops Scotland again but am not 100% sure, they may have, but it couldn't have been after 4 July 1943.

If your father was in 'Siberia' and released under the amnesty (Sikorski-Maisky Pact which led to the amnesty was signed in July 30, 1941) and he then enlisted with the Polish forces formed in USSR this army was still in USSR in March 1942. The Polish Army in USSR was transferred from Persia to the then Palestine between May and June 1942. So it doesn't seem likely IMO that it is your father in the photo with the King, Queen and Sikorski?

Have attached a photo of the visit from my own collection which I think shows the same soldier from a different viewpoint, who is definitely not your father. I have flipped your photo for comparison.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Was My father a Cichociemny ?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Was My father a Cichociemny ? 
    Last edited by StefanM; 07-20-2011 at 01:29 PM.

I also thought the soldier in the photo with the Queen looked older and fatter; however, my mom was convinced that my dad told her that the soldier was him. We also have 5 copies of the photo which convinced her even more that he must have been in it.

What does the "winged hussar" arm patch mean...other than he was part of the 1st Armoured Division?

I just tried emailing the link you provided and it was sent back to me as undeliverable due to it being an inactive inbox. Do you possibly have another email contact?

Quote by Cichociemny Kid View Post
    I also thought the soldier in the photo with the Queen looked older and fatter; however, my mom was convinced that my dad told her that the soldier was him. We also have 5 copies of the photo which convinced her even more that he must have been in it.

What does the "winged hussar" arm patch mean...other than he was part of the 1st Armoured Division?

I just tried emailing the link you provided and it was sent back to me as undeliverable due to it being an inactive inbox. Do you possibly have another email contact?
    The photo is most likely a reproduction Polish press office photo of the visit by the King and Queen.

The winged hussar emblem is just the divisional emblem based on the 16th Century Polish winged-hussars

Try these contact details instead if they are incorrect I am sure they will point you in the right direction:

Polish Records. Royal Navy and Army:

Polish Correspondence Section
    Room 28B
    RAF Northolt
    West end Road
    Ruislip
    Middlesex
    HA4 6NG
    Email: polishasstdisoff@northolt.raf.mod.uk
    Email: polishdisoff@northolt.raf.mod.uk
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Was My father a Cichociemny ?  

Oh, hahaha. Now I recognize the winged-hussars from learning about them in "polish school". I guess I should have paid better attention to those history lessons .

Here are some photos of my dad's medals. I scanned the a few times to better see some of them. The three on the far left were probably given to him by somebody since they are much older. One is dated 1920. The four stars say (from left to right) The 1939-1945 Star, The Africa Star, The Italy Star, and the France and Germany Star.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Was My father a Cichociemny ?   Was My father a Cichociemny ?  

Was My father a Cichociemny ?   Was My father a Cichociemny ?  

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast