Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My II Korpus BD blouses

Article about: I do not know whether i should have joined the "Show us your Polish displays", but I feel that a separate thread for PSZ badged BD blouses could be of some use. I therefore will st

Default Re: My II Korpus BD blouses

That's a lovel y II Corps BD blouse. Congrats.

A question- is it just me or does there seem to be more II Korpus militaria than others?

Ułanów Karpackich BD

Shouldn't the collars face each other?

James

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    Ułanów Karpackich BD... any thoughts as to value?
    Hi Stefan, of course, that depends entirely on authenticity. I am very wary of this one as there are several problematic elements. First off, being an officer’s tunic I would expect to see the custom tailored open collar. Often you’ll also find shoulder pads, false box pleats, etc. I don’t like the ‘lay’ of the insignia. All of the stitching looks tight and recent. James correctly observes that the ‘palemki’ in the collars do not face in opposite directions. These are in fact copies. There’s an overall lack of visible wear or soiling on the inside lining. The single star 2nd Lt. rank is of course the quickest way of providing a rank. My assessment based on all of these things is that it is a badged up surplus unissued tunic. Most of the cloth insignia is genuine, so the value of the tunic lies in its parts – and that would be around $200. If you’re considering purchase I would suggest you pass on this one.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Interesting in that it is dated October 1945 on the label, though they continued in existence until 46/47 so that probably does not matter, but post war anyway.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I'm glad the experts weighed in with their concerns. Perhaps we could create a sticky with examples of correct and incorrect features of sample uniforms for the collector. Perhaps highlighting with circles the problematic areas?

Quote by dastier View Post
    . . . Perhaps we could create a sticky with examples of correct and incorrect features of sample uniforms for the collector. . .
    Hi Mike,

In my previous post I mentioned some of the main things to watch for. One should study uniform insignia, placement regulations, what variants were found within specific units, and at various times (the regulations evolved), etc. Period photographs are invaluable in this study. But ultimately nothing beats the experience of handling and inspecting genuine articles. A combination of all of these things is necessary to gain the knowledge to pick out the good from the bad.

Uniform authentication can be tricky, especially from a seller’s photographs alone. An original period tunic has a look and feel that doesn’t always translate well via digital photographs. It’s not too difficult to replicate a wartime uniform using genuine components, and with a little effort a very convincing fake can be produced. And many are. Needless to say, it’s a dangerous area of collecting, especially for novices.

As always, it’s best to have solid provenance, especially in the form of period pictures showing the uniform in wear by the original owner. Of course, such provenance is seldom found accompanying old uniforms, and in its absence the risks to the buyer obviously increase. Which makes research and study all the more important.

Pictured below is a BD acquired in a swap that just arrived in the mail several days ago. It’s not 2nd Corps, but I’ll include it on this thread to highlight some of the points currently being discussed. This tunic belonged to a private in the 1st Grenadier Brigade of the 4th Infantry Division. It has all of the characteristics that I would want to see in an honest period BD. A bonus was the original owner’s paybook tucked in a pocket.

The tunic is a 1940 austerity pattern, common issue for a low rank soldier as we have here. But even so this private went to the expense of having his ‘best’ BD tailored for an open collar, yet retaining the button hole to wear it as per EM regulations. Contrast this to the officer’s BD with the stock collar discussed earlier. Some close ups below show how this tailoring was typically done.

Another ‘trick’ some of the Poles employed to dress up their ‘best’ tunic was the addition of a strip of serge onto the face of the pockets to create the illusion of box pleats, and this was used here. Simple but effective. Shoulder pads were also popular, and they were added to this tunic using a fibrous material which has left some staining. For added waist area support a couple of hook-eye fasteners were rather crudely sewn in.

The machine stitched cloth insignia looks like it has been on there for a while. This is difficult to convey via pictures, but period applied insignia has a ‘relaxed’ look as the stitching settles into the insignia, and the insignia in turn onto the uniform over time. It’s a very subtle thing, but with experience is readily discernable.

There’s some mothing and also soiling which is consistent with a period tunic that was worn. While this is not always a good indicator of authenticity, there’s something to be said for the old saying – if it looks new, it probably is. Overall I am quite comfortable that this tunic is everything it appears to be, a genuine survivor.

Cheers,
    T.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My II Korpus BD blouses   My II Korpus BD blouses  

My II Korpus BD blouses   My II Korpus BD blouses  

My II Korpus BD blouses  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2